Public charter
St. Louis, MO

Posted May 19, 2015
I have two daughters at the school in kindergarten and 2nd grade. We are nearing the end of our 3rd year at TFS and plan to be there for many more years. We love the fact that our children are becoming fluent in another language- our older daughter even dreams in French. More important than the language aspect, though, is the sense of community at TFS. Every adult in the building knows who my children are and cares about their well-being.

Posted April 28, 2015
We chose The French School at SLLIS because we want our child to be not just conversationally proficient in a foreign language but academically literate and culturally competent. Our son (9) speaks, reads, and writes in two languages and is developing multi-disciplinary critical thinking skills promoted through the International Baccalaureate inquiry-based pedagogy model. We also value the diversity of the student population for our child's social development and readiness for the "real world." The teachers have a truly unique professional skill set and competence that you won't find anywhere else in St. Louis, and the entire faculty, staff, and leadership team is wholly dedicated to the success of our kids and the school. They have a bold vision and we love it. Highly recommend!

The French School 4

Posted April 25, 2015
The French School is the ONLY urban, tuition-free, International Baccalaureate, French Immersion School in the U.S. What an amazing opportunity right here in STL. I value not only the language immersion (and it is so incredible to see my 6-year-old already reading and writing in TWO languages!), but also for the International Baccalaureate curriculum. The IB values thinking and problem solving, as well are creativity -- the kids are actively learning, not just memorizing things. Perhaps even more, I value the many different kinds of diversity found at TFS, including racial/ethnic, SES, country of origin, culture, gender/sexual orientation AND language. My children enter the world so comfortable with and curious about people who may be different than they are. And they have already developed a global consciousness, an interest in travel, and a willingness to take risks and try new things. The school isn't perfect, but we get so much that's unique!

Posted April 24, 2015
Awesome school! Love the PYP curriculum and teachers. Our kids love learning French and going to school. They are fluent in reading and writing in French which has boosted their English reading skills and test scores. We appreciate the diverse and loving school culture. The teachers are so dedicated.

Posted April 24, 2015
I LOVE THIS SCHOOL! The teachers are amazing, they take so much pride into teaching the kids that there is a lot to explore in the world. My child started in kindergarten and now in the second grade. Everyday I see growth in his academics and his immersion into the French language. I am excited to see what the future holds from him. Mr. Conrad the Principal is so compassionate in what he do for the school and the kids. I truly support and love everything they do in this school, this has been the best decision I've made for his future! Parent R. Perry

Posted April 24, 2015
I just love TFS! I love how my son has grown and the confidence he is showing.

Posted April 24, 2015
The French School is a great school, my son's teachers and staff communicates often with me whether he is doing well or if he's having any issues. I've also noticed that they really take time and listen to him if any problem does occur. He's doing well in all his subjects and his French is getting pretty impressive.

Posted April 24, 2015
Why would you not send your child to a free immersion school. In a global market a second language is invaluable!

Posted April 24, 2015
Our children are thriving in this diverse and challenging environment. The challenge of learning in a different language has opened pathways in their brains and improved their problem solving and analytical skills. Their test scores reflect the fact that they are excelling academically. The environment promotes innovation and risk-taking! They love their dedicated and loving teachers. They are poised for success in a global world. We are so grateful they have this learning experience available to them for free!

Posted April 24, 2015
TFS is accredited as a PYP school, which means the students learn through doing, they do not learn each subject in silos, but rather all subjects are integrated into projects and inquiry. I also love that my child is fluent in French in elementary school! The school embraces cultural differences and diversity! The school is still young, which means there are plenty of opportunities for parent involvement and input as well. Finally, the 5th grade students go to France to experience the culture, attend school with other 5th grade students in France, and stay with host families. The students emerge confident in their ability to navigate in a foreign city, culture, and language.
3 people found this helpful

The French School
4011 Papin St, St. Louis, MO  63110
Last modified The French School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
The French School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top