Ferguson Middle School

Public | 7-8 | 599 students

Posted August 2, 2013

Great curriculum, great teachers and staff. They really want the children to be successful. I do recommend Ferguson Middle School for quality education.

Posted April 1, 2009

I am a parent and a teacher at FMS. I visited this site to see what other parents felt about our school. I noticed many of our ratings are from more than two years ago. I think our school has made great strides since 2006. Our scores are up on the MAP, and we have a very safe school. When I read the reviews of district schools, I see the same complaint: we have forgotten the role of setting standards for our childrens' progress and allowed the state to set our goals. My child enjoys success in this school atmosphere, but too many kids will not. Teachers and students feel that disruptive kids get too many breaks, and productive kids get too few rewards. Our kids need real support against negative forces in their school day. Our district should stand by its expectations for student success, behavior, and achievement.

Posted February 2, 2006

I'm not impressed with Ferguson Middle. This Team Teaching environment has the students against each other...like small gangs(i.e. they have nasty nick-names for each team Dirty Dolphins & Musty Mustangs ). I also think the teachers are rude (one teacher told my child she just didn t like him as a person ). My overall suggestion is for everyone to get together and remember the students are there to learn and not have fun. I look forward to child leaving this school.

Posted November 1, 2004

I must say I am very happy with the Ferguson school distric. My family moved here from the city where my children attended city schools shortly until I could get them into a magnet school program. They did fairly well but the schools were still packed,dirty,and full of violance and ignorance. Here in Ferguson my child is able to get alot of one on one attention and has been able to excel. THe parents and the teachers work together here. The only thing that I can even began to suggest to the school distric is to try and get some football programs in place for middle schools other than flag football. I am a very pleased with Ferguson school distric and you and your child would be too. Come on out of the city for that special attention without paying private school prices.

Posted May 14, 2004

My son came from a very small private school when he started attending Ferguson Middle. His previous school could sit inside Ferguson Middle twice and have room left over. He is a shy child and I thought he would be intimidated with the change in enviroment and large student population and fade into the background. I was wrong. He has an excellent team of teachers who recognized his potential and helped him not only to come out of his shell, but to achieve academically. The teachers have always had time to speak with me when I have felt a need to meet with them and have kept me well informed on my sons progress along the way. They didn't necessarily wait for report cards of progress reports. If they felt I needed to know something they called me. Every teacher on my sons team put the students first.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 56% in 2014.

332 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

332 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Missouri used the Missouri Assessment Program (MAP) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in math and communication arts, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Missouri. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 51% in 2014.

316 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 44% in 2014.

316 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2014.

315 students were tested at this school in 2014.

All Students33%

White46%
Free or reduced-price lunch36%
Students with disabilities6%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education; data is not reported if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group.

All Students34%

White82%
Free or reduced-price lunch20%
Students with disabilities15%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 55% in 2014.

Government

The state average for Government was 57% in 2011.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Missouri used the End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments to test high school students in Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, English I, English II, American History, Government, and Biology. The EOC Assessments are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Missouri for each subject. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Algebra I

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 82%N/A45%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

70 January Ave