Child of God Lutheran School

Private | PK-8 | 225 students

We are best known for small class sizes with individual student attention

Living in St. Peters

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $139,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $930.

Sweep tile

Posted April 9, 2014

Our children's school merged with another local school last summer. The merge was not a positive environment for our children. Before the merge, we didn't have a reason to consider another private school. Our experience with Child of God has been nothing but positive since we took the tour with the principal last summer. Our biggest concern was the curriculum since our kids came from a school with high standards and a hands-on environment. The curriculum has challenged our kids. We feel our kids are safe everyday. The teachers and staff know our kids by name, and our 5th grader is challenged in his class. Our kindergarterner is advancing well also. The kindergarterner is thriving in math! I feel this school is preparing our children very well for the future. We are very pleased.

Posted April 9, 2014

We have been at this school for five years now and are really happy here! The classroom sizes are small, which give the kids more individualized attention, which we love. The teachers are phenomenal and plan so many great learning experiences for the kids. The Christ centered education is what we really love though. There is patience, kindness and prayer that is taught every day - these are skills that these children will take with them for life. I would recommend this school to anyone and everyone!

Posted April 9, 2014

Our family loves Child of God School since it is such a caring environment and has a Christ-centered learning environment. The small class sizes give our children the academic support that they need. The staff is caring and yet offers challenging curriculum.

Posted April 8, 2014

It is a truly spirited school. So much love for the students! My son enjoys going everyday and his favorite part of the day is morning chapel! Child of Gods pastor is young and fresh! It is a lot of fun! The best part - extended care before and after school is offered!

Posted April 8, 2014

If you are on the fence between public and private, please visit COG. I have three children here with varying educational needs and all of them are thriving. The small class size allows our teachers to challenge and grow our kids at their pace. Parent involvement is amazing, we have a voice and we are heard. My children may not love homework but they LOVE going to school. One of my favorite things is that my children are spiritually led each and every day. Their behavior in and out of school is a direct reflection of that. I would like to see the sports program grow, too small for us. Overall, a quality education, spiritual growth and community driven, the foundation at COG alone is worth it. Highly recommend a visit.

Posted April 8, 2014

We love the Child of God Parent's Day Out program. It is great for full-time care for working parents or part-time learning and socialization for stay-at-home kids. We were impressed from the moment we walked in for a tour. Our daughter loves her school and her teachers!

Posted April 7, 2014

Child of God has a wonderful Christ-centered atmosphere with loving staff. The teacher to student ratio is one of the best in the area. The principal and newly hired Pastor are a blessing to the school.

Posted April 7, 2014

My family has been a part of Child of God for four years. In that time, we have enjoyed being a part of a wonderful Lutheran school and church. The teachers, and staff truly have the kids' best interest at heart and they care a great deal about educating them in a Christian atmostphere.

Posted August 27, 2013

The principal doesn't have love in her heart and neither does one of her 2nd and 6 grade teachers my children has been there only three days 2nd grder has some trouble with reading and was kicked out of her school. I set up tutoring five days a week she said no wanted to put her back in first grade. I declined so she put them out. God isnt in that school or in her or some of the teachers. God sees everything you all will reap what you sow im a god fearing woman was raised up in church and can honestly say that god isn't in the mist of that school. I know that race played a part in it my kids felt it and i did too. My family and i have given a lot to the lutheran church but it won't happen again. We will never give to a place that will break down the spirit of a child. My child wasn't given a chance in your school for three days and thrown out. But others given tutoring im sure they have something in common and its not being black. I pray that someday the principal and teachers find god and stop promoting racism in your school.

Posted June 29, 2012

The teachers and principal show great care and concern for the education and success of our children. The school is immaculate, well organized and offers so much more than the public schools. Our family is very happy with the level of education and extra activities that are offered. We are extremely happy with our choice of schools.

Posted May 22, 2012

Our family couldn't be more pleased with Child of God and what they have done with our three boys. They love going to school. If you are looking for a school that truly cares about your children, this is the place. It is a wonderful Christian environment with the most wonderful Principal and teachers. We love it here!

Posted January 6, 2012

We love this school!!! The teachers are the best, very friendly, and the Principal is the best!!! Its a fun place and the kids love it.

Posted October 26, 2011

We looked at several schools before choosing Child of God for our daughter but we knew when we walked in this was the right place for us. It has been a wonderful place and her teacher is amazing! The academic and religious education exceeded our expectations and my daughter enjoys everyday! I would recommend this school to anyone looking for a Christ centered education for their child.

Posted August 12, 2011

I have left this school simply because there is no ONE person in charge. They really need a true leader, not a fill in, and not a group of people. ONE PERSON.....NOT MANY!!!!!!!

Posted June 20, 2011

i am a middle school student at child of god and im hlad i go there! i have made many friends over the years and the teachers are fun, but still get to the lessons. the teachers are great! i have been going to this school since pre-school. i have grown up with most of the people here and they are just like family. i truly love it here at Child of God.(:

Posted June 6, 2011

I am thankful for Child of God Lutheran School, over the years my children's teachers have been consistently caring, patient and prefessional. When one of my children was having trouble reading, his teacher observed his struggle right away and suggested that he get tested. That testing showed that he could benefit from additional help with reading. Because of her careful observation and concern, my child is doing much better in school now.

Posted June 2, 2011

Let me just say if you want a school which will offer a true quality Christian education along with fun and caring staff, Child of God is the place. My children have grown not only spriritually but also as individuals. I will put the education up against any other school in the area. To respond to the school has fallen on hard times, this is a perception and not true in my opinion. I wish people would offer the facts behind their statements. If you read the communication from the school, two teachers have left because they are going back to school for additional degrees, another teacher took a promotion and another is following her husband as it relates to his call as a Pastor. The school is in search for a new Principal and Pastor but the leadership in place has made sure the school has not skipped a beat. My child came home from school a couple of weeks ago and said "Guess what...we had a food fight at lunch"!!! You heard me, the kids in the lunch room had a food fight and it was started by the staff. Hmmm..quality education, loving staff, growing spiritually and having fun....that's why I send my kids to Child of God.

Posted June 2, 2011

I have been involved at Child of God Lutheran School for over 10 years. My son graduated from COG and placed in Biology and Geometry as a freshman, even though these are typically sophomore classes. His education at COG allowed him to skip some typical freshman classes. Both my children received an excellent education while attending COG. Their Achievement Test scores were all very high; in some subjects they scored post high school. As far as the teachers leaving, they are continuing their education, following a spouse to where their career has taken them, or are taking a promotion. There is nothing wrong with leaving a job for these reasons. The Interim Principal was just that: Interim-temporary. The school has been working hard to replace the Principal and Pastor on a permanent basis. This task is very close to being complete. The sports program does use volunteers. Volunteers: People who WANT to coach because they have the skill and desire to teach that sport to children. Sometimes the best person for the job is a volunteer! If you want the truth, visit the school many times. You are always welcome at Child of God!

Posted June 1, 2011

The school has fallen on hard times. They are on their third principal this year and has lost half of their staff due to the lack of leadership. Most of the best teachers have left. There are other options around town.

Posted March 5, 2011

I'm a student that goes to Child of God. Why I rated it 3 out of 5 is because I do not like the principal, I do not like the quality of the sports teams (they are low budget and need voluteers to do the sports), and I think the education is not challenging enough. I'll come home with only one math lesson with 30 problems and then I'll be done. And I do not like the people, either. I spent the past year and a half being bullied by 2 girls in my class. I hate it so I'll be leaving to Christian High for the 2011-2012 year.

Two or more races 3% N/A
Asian 1% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Computer specialist(s)
Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff German
Russian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Dr. Melissa Sandfort
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • rborgstede@childofgodschool.org
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Lutheran Church (Missouri Synod)
Fax number
  • (636) 970-7083

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Dance
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom