Hawthorn Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 530 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 17, 2014

I think Hawthorn Elementary is wonderful! My daughter is in Kindergarten this year, and her teacher is amazing. She makes learning so much fun, and my daughter absolutely adores her.

Posted November 10, 2013

We moved from out of state and two of my kids are attending Hawthorn. I am shocked with the low level of education the school provides. The teachers lack the basic training to teach kids. My kids are very smart and were doing extremely well until they came to Hawthorn. When I spoke with their teachers I was stunned to hear one of the teachers blame my child (who is a first grader) for falling behind! As my kids are not getting the education they deserve at Hawthorn, I took it upon myself to teach them at home. At this time, I am actively looking to move out of Hawthorn district. It feels like a nightmare

Posted August 6, 2010

This is my son's 3rd year at Hawthorn and we just love it! They really work with him to help develope his skills. The first year he has a bit of an issue with his attitude and his teachers really worked with him. In 1st grade he had the best teacher! She really encouraged him and he did wonerfully in her class. Now he is in the accelerated learning program and has tested higher than the other students for the same grade. This is just such a wonderful school! I grew up in California when they need to teach most everyone to speak english - they don't expect much from the students and just brush them off without encouragement - this is a totally different situation. Parents should realize how lucky they are to have a school that really cares about the individual child.

Posted May 16, 2010

All of my kids have attended Hawthorn from kindgargen up; my fifth child is a second grader this year (2009-10). I cannot say enough about this school, the teachers, the staff and the wonderful learning environment there. I have found the teachers to be approachable, interested in input and very helpful. I can't imagine my kids going anywhere else. We have had nothing but positive experiences there from day 1.

Posted February 10, 2010

I have several children in this school, all of which have attended since kindergarten. This year has been the worst year that I have had with the principles and assistant principle and one teacher. We have had problems on the bus and they didn't do anything about it. I am seriously thinking about pulling my kids out of the school. When the kids don't feel safe talking to a teacher I think that there is a problem. That school needs a new principle that we can go to and the problem be taken care of immediately. Even if it is with someone who has a kid in the school that they are close to. The kids are first not hurting another parents feelings.

Posted December 18, 2009

I have a 1st & 3rd grader here. Class room teachers have been excellent each year. Overall, school is very good. This school is one of the smaller elementary schools in district, which in this case I think is a positive. The coverage area for this school includes a very wide range of income and family backgrounds, and I would guess ~ 5-10% of the students were born outside of US. This is great to have kids from 3 different continents in my kids class room. Aggregate exam scores for school are just a little above average, but that is mis-leading because if you take out the 'free & reduced lunch' category, every other cross-section / grouping is very good to ecellent.

Posted November 3, 2009

We moved to go to this school! We had a lot of choices in this area but once we spent a little time with the staff and principal; we knew this is where we needed to be. We are now in our 5th year of having children here and I cannot think of safer and more positive environment for our children. Very, very pleased!

Posted September 15, 2009

This is the worst school my kids have been to. The principal is very denigrating to the children in the school, treating them like they are much older; the emphasis here is not on learning, but on punishment. Every child is just a little soldier in the system. Seemingly, the only thing cared about in the office is liability, not the students. I understand the teaching in the disabled classes is good, but if your child is not special needs, his education will not be of importance here.

Posted May 30, 2006

My husband and I moved into the area from out of state and debated private vs. public. We decided to 'try out' Hawthorn for kindergarten and our daughter will be entering third grade in the fall! She would never allow us to move at this point!! The administration and the teachers are very approachable and want our children to exceed as much as we do. They are eager to educate each child at his or her level of ability and provide challenges for those who are above grade level academically. Our youngest is receiving speech therapy and the improvement after one year is astounding. The staff and teachers embrace each child as their own. My husband and I are blessed to have these wonderful people help raise our children. I agree with the earlier posts, Hawthorn is more than a school, it is a community.

Posted February 23, 2006

I have three children (currently in 5th, 4th, and 1st grades) who have all attended Hawthorn since kindergarten. Hawthorn is a true treasure. The administration and the teachers are very approachable and are eager to educate each child at his or her level of ability. My youngest child has a disability (CP) the staff and students have embraced him with love and loyalty that I never expected. The special education teachers and paraprofessionals and therepists are truly exceptional--kind and caring. There is an amazing PTO with a lot of opportunities for parent involvement. I agree with an earlier post, Hawthorn is more than a school, it is a community. A community which does an exceptional job of including all of its members to the fullest extent possible.

Posted April 30, 2004

My grandaughter has attended Hawthorne since kindergarten, and her sister is poised to enter this fall. All three of my husband's children finished elementary here. Even with budget cuts, the school has been superbANLC is a school where the children come first. Each child is encouraged to do their personal best without being labeled as the smart or dumb kids. They are taught accountability for behavior from the start, which gives them true life skills. The teachers are highly skilled and work hard to bring out the best in each child; learning is fun. The former principal was the best, knowing each child by name, which was a particular boone to the boys. Recently we voted a tax increase to keep the quality of this school as high as possible - both our kids and the school are worth it.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 49% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 51% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Missouri used the Missouri Assessment Program (MAP) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in math and communication arts, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Missouri. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 54% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 51% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

All Students58%
Asian/Pacific Islandern/a

All Students60%
Asian/Pacific Islandern/a
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education; data is not reported if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group.

All Students67%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 29%N/A44%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

• Ms. Nicole Shidaker
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Fax number
  • (636) 447-9216

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools

Apply now