Ft. Zumwalt South High School

Public | 9-12 | 1354 students

Posted March 4, 2014

My daughter graduated from FZS in 2011. My only complaint about the entire school system/district would be how absolutely worthless the guidance councelors are. I have no idea why they are there, but providing guidance is not their function. A large budget item that could be put to better use.

Posted February 12, 2012

I graduated from Fort Zumwalt South last year. I feel that the school is trying to become a better school, but is ill equipped. The entire Zumwalt district is broke, but they are trying to manage with what little money they do have. Since I have graduated, I have heard that the school has gotten more AP classes for the more talented kids. Although I had some pretty good teachers, I also had some very lousy teachers that demanded respect, but never gave the students any. In the past five years the school has gone through many changes including a colossal down size and big faculty changes. Not only did they go through a down size, but they had some big faculty changes including two new vice principals, but they got a new head principal. At first I was hesitant to these changes, but the new head principal improved the scores to the EXIT exams that replaced the MAP tests back in 2009 or 2010. If you are looking to send your teenager to South then I would have to say that over all it is a good school. Just make sure that this school fits the needs of your kid and not yourself!

Posted September 14, 2011

Just asking while attending a sporting event at your school. When the national anthem is sung. The people have to face the grand stand broadcast tower where there is a little metal flag wired to the building. It would be a lot better if there was a cloth flag where people can see it

Posted February 16, 2011

Going to South High I not only realize that the school is ill equipped with the proper staff needed to function a proper high school but, also when it comes down to making decisions the management lacks the skills to do so. Not to mention the fights and yelling that takes place in the hallway. Their sports team are horrible with the exception of their baseball team. I am just glad my parents decided to get out of there and transfer me to West High.

Posted January 23, 2011

Over the last few years, South has changed a lot. South used to be over crowded, but since the school district built East High, it is now the smallest of the 4 main high schools. The lower student population allows for smaller class sizes. South High received the highest Exist exam scores in the Saint Louis area. South is also introducing more advanced and AP classes every year. The students at south have multiply opportunities to join sports, after school clubs ranging from choirs and bands to student council and NHS, and to participate in South's excellent theatric department. The most of the teachers at South do care about the students and are willing to help after or even before school. The principles are nice and just do their jobs, but the guidance counselors are absolutely terrible. The counselors are little to no help and you would make more progress by just going straight to one of the principals or teachers if you are ever in need of help. The guidance councilors are basically "glorified schedulers".

Posted May 24, 2009

Big but small enough to have a friendly feel. Relax and friendly feel as you walk into the doors as a parent. My 3 kids are there have love it. They have a lot of school spirit.

Posted March 16, 2009

My son is a freshman this year and not only has his expierence been a wonderful one as a parent I think Dr. Weir and the staff, teachers and coaches are doing an excellent job. I feel they really care about the sucess of the students. It is a positive enviroment and I feel very lucky my child is part of this fantastic schoo.

Posted January 2, 2009

Excellent teachers and staff.

Posted November 18, 2008

I am a FZS alum and can honestly say that, in comparison to other high schools in the area, Fort Zumwalt South easily stands out in excellence. The fine arts program at South high is impeccable. While it does not receive the funding it deserves, the school manages to produce high-end shows that usually sell out. The average MAP score of South high is generally higher than those high school around it, and has the highest average GPA of all FZ schools. I feel that there may be a strong bias for those giving South a low rating.

Posted August 9, 2008

We moved from California several years ago, and South High School offers so much more for students than the California schools do. We have been very pleased with the quality of the education that the school provides. We have had issues with some teachers, but none with any administration. I feel that FZS is a safe school and that it provides every opportunity for young people to learn and grow.

Posted May 26, 2008

I am a gifted student that attends south high school and i feel they do not accomidate their lessons to us and they pay no attention to the kids that try hard and succeede. Personally, i woud rate it about a 1/4 out of 5

Posted April 17, 2008

I am a freshman at fzs, and i hate it. The faculty and staff are rude and disrespectful towards the students, yet flip when their are treated with the same amount of respect. This school has made me not want to go to school and since moving to south high my grades have gone from all a's and b's to barely passing if at all due to the teachers lack of involment and care.

Posted February 8, 2008

I went to south high last year. I'm the 10th grade and now go to East. I'm so happy i spent my freshman year at south, it taught me so much about high school. The fine arts programs they have ar amazing, and i miss not having the band class i took there. Its a great school.

Posted July 21, 2007

We moved here with the intentions of sending our children to South. now believe that there is a total lack of classroom management here. Heading to East.

Posted February 2, 2007

I'm a previous student that went here. There has always been a drug problem in schools, but I believe ours had the lowest among the others in the area. The schools extracurricular activities are preety good infact, especially since we won two state cross country championships. The school offers a wide variety of college-credit classes that many do not. The administration knows what they're doing most of the time. The teachers (most of them) care about the students and will help your child if they need help. If a student made any threats the administration and police were immeadiately contacted to handle the situation. Overall I believe that the education I recieved was above average along with the others in the area.

Posted August 7, 2006

I have a daughter attending South High and I really like the teachers. When our daughter's grades started to slip, we were contacted by the teachers to inform us immediately. Together we all worked with my daughter to correct this problem. On the other side of the coin the principal's are not in touch with the classroom and give little support to the teachers. All the principal's care about is Map scores but do not understand the correlation regarding the ability of teacher and student's connecting. This inability of Principal's to understand the classroom is a direct result of the superintendent micro-mananging the classroom, even though he does not have a clue of what is going on!

Posted April 19, 2006

I have had 2 children attend South and overall I would say that it is a very good school. The teachers and the counselors are wonderful. The class selection is extensive and the campus is very nice. There are definite issues with a high pregnancy rate and racial tension on both sides that I wish someone would address.

Posted January 17, 2006

Being a former student at south,I would say that all in all the schools quality is some what horrible.Going to south made me realize that I did not go to school to be tought,but I went to school to be looked down on by the staff. Being 'different' I felt that the staff looked at me weirdly because I wanted to express myself. At south I felt that to be respected you had to be just like everyone else. When I would walk in to class I felt that the teachers would not give me the personal attantion I needed,because I was quote on quote 'different'. Now unfortunatly, I can say passing time and lunch,was probally the best time of the day because I could could feel like my self for once.In the classes I felt I had to hide who I relly was.So really, think about sending your kid(s)to south.

Posted April 26, 2005

I have graduated from FZS and was involved in many extracurricular activities. This school is amazing, it has diversity, and it doesn't have as many 'cliques' as the other highschools. Yes this school does have a high pregnancy rate, and drug rate, but that is also due to the fact that we have an alternative school, and most districts don't. I believe this school makes you work hard in academics and in extracurricular activities. Their college credit classes have helped me a lot, concidering i go to St.Louis University. Thank you for concidering a great school.

Posted March 9, 2005

I have had three children attend Fort Zumwalt South High School. I think overall it is a decent school district. However the administration needs to address the lack of diversity among the teachers. More effort needs to be made to include the AFrican American population and to address some of the racial tension present in the school.There are , however a wide variety of activities I the the students can become involved, which is good. One positive is that the administration will lend an ear and attempt to address the issues, whis is encouraging.
—Submitted by a teacher

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 57% in 2013.

281 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 54% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

331 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 60% in 2013.

302 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 69% in 2013.

339 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 61% in 2013.

Government

The state average for Government was 54% in 2013.

345 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 47% in 2013.

353 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Missouri used the End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments to test high school students in Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, English I, English II, American History, Government, and Biology. The EOC Assessments are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Missouri for each subject. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

White50%
Free or reduced-price lunch32%
Students with disabilities14%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education; data is not reported if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group.

Source: Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 13%N/A45%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

8050 Mexico Rd