Jackson Park Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted August 23, 2013

My daughter went to JP for 5 years and it has very good teachers and has some teachers who need to retired and let new blood come into the building; however, they are doing a very good job academically. I believe they still need to work on improving good behaviors. In conclusion it was a good experience for my daughter it has a variety of everything.

Posted March 16, 2012

My son is also in 3rd grade at JP. Never have heard one story of fights happening at school. Maybe the woman's daughter has a different definition of what constitutes a 'fight'? The one issue I'd say exists is that the school district administration continually removes fantastic educators from JP and places them at Brittany Woods or UCHS. They've been replaced with teachers who are, according to the students, old, crabby, and not nice at all. Gym class and art should be creative and exciting experiences, not classes where children are made to sit on the floor and "Shut it!" because their teacher can't handle their youthful energy. Pathetic, really. On a high note, the new music teacher is much beloved. Let's get all of the faculty to that level now.

Posted March 14, 2012

This school is a victim of to many children and the teachers not knowing how to handle all of them. We recently moved to MO from OH where we were going to a great public school there. We have had nothing but problems at Jackson Park. The teachers are ok and the principal is just ok. Everyday my daughter is telling me about fights and students yelling at teachers and throwing things at teachers. The principal and teachers are more than willing to try and make things better after complaining, but they still are not good enough for us to stay there another year. I am sorry to say but my daughter will attending another school for her 4th grade year.

Posted November 15, 2011

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Jackson Park! I was so happy to be there from my first day of kindergarden until 6th grade promotion. I am in my sophmore year at UCHS across the street and i find myself glancing out the window thinking of all the memories i've had there. JP has so much pride and has so many activities for students to look forward to all year put together by such a fantastic staff ! - Miquella : )

Posted September 15, 2011

My daughter is in first grade this year, kindergarten last year. There is nothing about this school that I do not love: the faculty, the administration, the curriculum, the available outside activities, and especially this year, the new facilities. The brand new library is absolutely amazing, and from what I have seen of the almost-completed gym and cafeteria, they are state-of-the-art, spacious, and inviting. My family feels so fortunate to live in the Jackson Park district and, as U City taxpayers, to be able to take advantage of everything that the elementary school offers. My 6-yr. old daughter cannot wait to get up in the morning, give her teacher a hug, and learn & play with her classmates. Thank you, Jackson Park.

Posted May 23, 2009

Hate to say it, but JP leaves a lot to be desired at this point in time.

Posted August 21, 2007

I am a former Jackson Park student and I loved my experiences there. I started in kindergarten and went all the way to the sith grade and graduated from there. I made a lot of cool friend and met some mazing people.The level of academic were very high and we were learning math from the 7th grade level. Take for instance, algebra. we were learning tough algebra in the sixth grade.the principal Mr. Diaz -Granadoes was very caring to the children and the parents. the PTO contributed a tremendous amount of time and energy to make different festivals fun,So did the students. Although I'm starting the eight grade I will always remember the wonderful seven years I spent at Jackson Park Elementary and will recommend this school to any parent. S.A.B
—Submitted by a former student

Posted November 27, 2006

I am a former student at Jackson Park and I loved it there!! I went there from 3rd to 5th and I am at another school now for sixth grade. The teachers there are great and the food there is great. I miss my old school so much. My whole family basically went there. My very best friends go to that school. I love Jackson Park!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 2, 2006

Jackson Park has been an incredible environment for both of my children, who happen to be at the opposite spectrums of the educational scale. Both of my children are challenged at their respective levels and continue to succeed academically. The credit mostly goes to the awewsome principal, Mr. Diaz-Granados and his talented teaching staff, but also to the extended JP family. From the support staff to the active parental involvement, the community as a whole works toward making the children at JP successful. On top of a quality education, my children are experiencing cultural and economic diversity, something lacking in many schools today.

Posted March 22, 2006

One of the nice things about Jackson Park is that there is always lots of communication. A weekly newsletter, 'The Monday Memo' keeps parents and staff up to date on upcoming events and news items of interest to the school community, and a larger quarterly newsletter, 'The Jackson Park Journal,' provides in-depth discussion of curriculum issues, staff interviews, coverage of events like the Science Fair and the Passport Festival, and letters from the principal, the PTO, and the School Board liaison. The PTO also has a website, www.jackson-park.org, that contains information, photos, back issues of newsletters, a calendar, and other items of interest both to current and prospective families. There is also an online Yahoo newsgroup tht keeps parents in touch. One of the goals of both the PTO and the administration is to keep Jackson Park families 'in the loop' as much as possible.

Posted March 22, 2006

We have 2 sons who have attended Jackson Park from kindergarten through 6th grade. JP is like a second home to us. Both boys have thrived there academically and socially. The professional teaching staff is very talented and caring. We have especially strong music, art and GATE (gifted) teachers, along with an outstanding principal. Our parents are very involved and support the school both financially and with many enrichment programs ranging from an annual Pioneer Day, Passport Festival, Spring JamBearRe, and many cultural assemblies. I only wish that the rest of the world could get along as well as our culturally and economically diverse community does at JP. I will be in tears when my 6th grader graduates and we are no longer attend Jackson Park. Of course, we will continue to educate our boys in the U. City school district.

Posted May 25, 2005

Our son is in kindergarten at Jackson Park. We have had nothing but positive experiences with the school. The school is well run, with a very visable principal at the helm. The teachers are wonderful, and work well with the students and their parents. The art, music and p.e. teachers are talented at getting the most out of their students. We have a wonderful gifted teacher who works well with those students who need enrichment. We have an active parent base. Our son loves the fact that we have a indoor and outdoor soccer team.

Posted April 14, 2005

We've been at JP for 5 years and have had nothing but positive experiences. The academics are outstanding - challenging the many bright children and offering a wide array of tutoring programs for those who need them. The music and art teachers are outstanding and the children produce wonderful artwork and musical performances. I would rate almost every classroom teacher as outstanding as well. Parents in the teaching field tell me that our staff is one of the best around. Our principal is awesome and is very accessible to parents. We have a vibrant PTO that raises about $18,000 a year to fund lots of 'extras' for the kids and the classrooms. Overall, I can't say enough about this school - any child would be lucky to attend Jackson Park.

Posted November 15, 2004

Wonderful diverse learning environment. We have a kindergartner and he loves it! His teacher is awesome and the principal Mr. Diaz is very caring. They truly care about all children.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 49% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 51% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Missouri used the Missouri Assessment Program (MAP) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in math and communication arts, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Missouri. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 54% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 51% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

All Students32%

Black18%
Asian/Pacific Islandern/a
Free or reduced-price lunch18%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education; data is not reported if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group.

All Students40%

• Ms. Christine Powers
Fax number
  • (314) 727-4478

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7400 Balson Ave