Posted November 30, 2014
Evaluating a school is a difficult thing to do without perspective. My parents have both been teachers and I did not attend West Platte. I think West Platte provides a very unique environment for my children. Their is certainly a history of educational success and West Platte also provides an element of insulation from some of the issues seen in very large districts. Like any public education environment their are compromises. Diversification is something that is difficulty to create if it isn't present in your population. At least we are close enough to Kansas City that you can give your child some exposure to those elements. Like any other educational environment being an engaged parent is critical for your child's success. I feel like Weston offers students an opportunity to participate in any and every activity that is offered. That certainly isn't an option in every school. I think the education is a quality experience.

Posted June 23, 2014
Epitomizes the small town ethic of the entire community supporting the school system. Most families have 3 or more generations with personal experience in West Platte Schools. To see the entire town show up for Friday night football games in the fall or fill the performing arts center for the elementary kids to sing, helps illuminate the caring nature of the community! The faculty and staff care deeply about their students and almost all of the students care back!

Posted June 22, 2014
I am a 2001 graduate of West Platte High. I attended this school from 1st-12th grade and loved every minute of it! West Platte is a school with a great teacher - student ratio. The teachers are fantastic. Not only do they have superior teaching skills, they also genuinely care about their students. I currently have two sons in the elementary and they look forward to going to school every day. Yes, West Platte has hit a rough patch here and there, but what school hasn't? I can tell you that our school is headed in the right direction. Come check out West Platte and see for yourself why we love our school.

West Platte High School 4

Posted October 28, 2012
The board of education is on a power trip and give the impression they lack confidence in the administators and teachers to do the jobs they have been hired to do. However the high school's outstanding performance academically, in the extra organizations, and athletically appears to indicate the students are being prepared to be successful. As a parent of a graduate, I know they were prepared to have a successful college experience. The board seems to have the opinion those that "can't do anything else" go into education.

West Platte High School 2

Posted May 10, 2011
They turn out some exceptional students but that is the not the norm. Imagine had those students attended a progressive high school! Its not the best education you can provide your child if they are an average student. Accredited with Distinction isn't hard to get. Dot every 'i', cross every 't'. The science programs are average. English mediocre at best and math has long way to go. Art classes are terrible, if compared to some district art fairs if you have experienced others. Even their pride and joy, sports, football inparticular, play 1A-2A schools and haven't lately been able to get all the way.

Posted September 20, 2010
I am a graduate of the Class of 2009 and I am currently a Sophomore at Texas A&M University. I can honestly say that I do not have any regrets about West Platte High School. I loved going to school there. The academic side of the school is great. The MAP test scores every year for West Platte are significantly higher than any other school in NW Missouri. Just take a look at some of the headlines in newspapers the last few years. Great things are happening at this school. We are having students that are competing in International Science Fair competitions... AND WINNING!! We have had students featured on the Discovery Channel and are constantly having Bluejays show up on major TV news stations. The Extra-Curricular side of the school is excellent as well. The Arts and Sports are all ranked very high in the State. It's an amazing school.

Posted March 25, 2010
i dont know what you all are talking about....i went to this school for k-12....i dont have any problems....and as far as the community goes....they are very supportive of all the sports participants....this may be a small school, but it is a good school...

West Platte High School 3

Posted February 19, 2010
The West Platte district has pros and cons like many districts across the country. I agree with some of the prior reviews but we must remember our own responsibilty to facilitate change. The leadership in the district does need to make appropriate changes in order to compete with surrounding districts. The PTO needs to continue the anti-bullying programs and become advocates for the parents. As parents we need to expect more from the leadership and follow up with our issues. The community must understand new residents need to be welcomed and included. Positive change is possible if we all do our part, but the district needs to listen as well. I will say the smaller class sizes are nice, but I wish new students would be more welcomed by the staff.

West Platte High School 1

Posted January 19, 2010
This district is so far behind and the community is closed and unfriendly. If you do not have a princess or football star, you are nobody here. Is is 1950?

West Platte High School 1

Posted March 31, 2009
Graduates of WP have poor communication skills. They struggle in grammar and writing. They simply cannot spell. I so wish I had considered the impact of living in a seeming beautiful area would have when my children attempt to compete with districts just south of us in the work force. Not to mention the administration, support staff and a few teachers seem to work against a positive educational environment. The hs admin/office staff has gone way down hill in the last few years. Not only do they show they aren't happy to see you, they seem to be unhappy to even be there. They make a parent dread entering the office area.

West Platte High School
935 Washington St, Weston, MO  64098
Last modified West Platte High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West Platte High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top