Billings West High School

Public | 9-12 | 1958 students

Posted January 30, 2014

I absolute love this school! I am a junior at west high. There is a lot of diversity at this school which makes it even cooler to be a part of this school. I am a varsity cheerleader, track and field athlete, and a member of BPA (Business Professionals of America). The teachers here are great (most of them) and I wouldn't want to go to any other high school. The administrative office is decent. It could be better! Being a part of west high teaches you a lot about what the real world is going to end up being. I've never been treated differently because my parents don't have as much as others. Being involved in things at this school really helps either being scared of going to a new school or just you want new friends! I'm very proud to call West High my high school!

Posted July 31, 2013

This school took a lot out of me in the past four years. Whether it was power drunk teachers, snobby students, or mistreatment of me as an athlete, I always felt like I was on trial there. Not a good learning environment.

Posted June 7, 2013

Awful. The staff and head members have no regard for the students' wellbeing and fail to treat them as equals. Sports are absolutely glamorised and the clubs/band are mediocre at best, making it hard to even want to participate in extracurricular activities.

Posted September 1, 2009

I have nothing but good things to say about west high. my daughter is a good student, good grades, not a trouble maker, piercings all over her face, dresses different, and is friends with everyone. Rich, not rich, 'Prep, Emo, Goth, Jocks' It does not matter at this school. I have never had a problem with my daughter being accepted by teachers or students.The diversity is great!!!

Posted December 12, 2008

Both of my kids attended West High School and both had horrible experiences. This school favors sports over academics and the acceptance of diversity is poor.

Posted June 11, 2008

This school is great. Im not rich and im surrounded by loads of good friends. I just finshed my freshman year. I think everything is amazing and the teachers are great and I loved the freshman acadamy and everything.

Posted April 17, 2008

This school is amazing and I disagree with the previous comment. Yes, there are some rich kids here, but all us students are very accepting of everyone. There is much less violence and less drug use here than all of the other Billings schools. It is also one of the best schools when it comes to learning and education, and the teachers are excellent.

Posted March 4, 2008

This school is like any other rich school...either your rich and have a lot of friends...or you don't have any money and people (rich kids) treat you like garbage!!

Posted January 15, 2008

This school is an awesome school. It has little violence and great discipline along with a widely accepted diversity.

Posted January 28, 2007

My son started this year in 10th grade. I was not afraid of the size of the school, I myself went to a bigger school back east and was able to get a great education. Living in a smaller town after moving to Montana, I was very unhappy with that school having such a smaller amount of children you would have thought that the students would experience that one on one education, but they didnt. My son is accomplishing more in just a few months here at West, the parents I have come in contact with have been wonderful, and it shows in all the friends my son has made, in such a short time. He is so very happy and excited to go to school each day and that means alot to me. I have met all of his teachers and I think they are wonderful. Good Work West.

Posted April 24, 2005

West High has the best music programs in the District! Overcrowding is an issue, but one that is being addressed for 2005-06. Teachers are, for the most part, very good and this school scores very well on standardized testing. The best parent involvement in the State!

Posted October 29, 2004

I am a student at West High and as a freshman this year it turned out to be a lot better than I had expected. As a straight A student in middle school I usually looked foreward to going back to school, but the summer between 8th and 9th grade I didn't even want to think about it because I was so scared. A privelege to going to West is that almost all freshman go to another building for core classes about 2 miles away. Buses take you there either in the morning before lunch or in the afternoon after lunch. I really enjoyed being out there because it is newer than West and it has less people which only include freshman. Normally people don't look foreward to their core classes but I did just because I really like the teachers. You really didn't ever noticed the higher grades at West.

Posted June 13, 2004

The school is nice however very crowded. Most of the teachers care about the students and try to help them along, however as in any school there are a few who are either too busy or who knows what to care or help. The school offers many wonderful activites and classes such as sewing, pottery, family life, and jewerly making to name a few. The deans and principal seem to have nothing better to do than call off assemblies meant to boost moral and think of nothing of try to take seniors privilages away because they are unfair to freshmen. This is shown in spirt week when they consider it unfair that freshman have to wait until they are seniors to wear togas.
—Submitted by a former student

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2013.

463 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 82% in 2013.

486 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

486 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Montana used the Criterion-Referenced Test (CRT) to assess students in grades 3 though 8 and 10 in reading and math and in grades 4, 8, and 10 in science. The CRT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Montana. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Source: Montana Office of Public Instruction

White, not Hispanic51%
Participates in free/reduced lunch30%
Students with disabilities6%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Montana Office of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Montana Office of Public Instruction

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 23%N/A40%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2201 St Johns Ave