Helena, MT

Hawthorne School 1

Posted November 18, 2008
I would have been very surprised at the Great Schools rating two years ago. But now as I watch my child struggle through middle school I am no longer surprised. When I received the results of the 5th grade national testing, I found a huge disconnect between my child's math capabilities and the grades he received in math. At Hawthorne, my child received straight A's in math, meeting all the elements graded. When we received the results of the national test taken as a 5th grader, the math scores were at the lowest possible level. It was at this point I began to understand why my child was suffering so in middle school. Hawthorne did not prepare my child scholastically for middle school. I completely concur with a rating of 4...could even be lower!

Posted April 09, 2008
Great school, great prinipal, amazing teachers! The atmosphere and culture at Hawthorne is very caring, welcoming and encourages strong parental involvment. The student population is refeshingly diverse compared to most schools in Helena or Montana. This is the elementary alma matter of U.S. Senator Max Baucus. Hawthorne's motto is 'strong minds, gentle hearts.' That is exactly what you can expect your child to have if you are lucky enough (and wise enough) to enroll your child here. No montesorri or private school program can compare - I feel sorry for the kids whose parents believe and act otherwise.

Posted October 23, 2006
Hawthorne Elementary is a wonderful place for my kids. The staff and teachers are caring and give 200% to their jobs. My kids have thrived academically and I know they will have the foundation to succeed in achieving their dreams. From what I've seen of Hawthorne's test scores, they are some of the best in the area and I know that it's because of the dedicated and quality teaching staff. The music and art programs are great and my kids love them. Even the atmosphere at the school is bright and cheery although the actual buildings are quite old...they have great character! I meet many folks who said they attended Hawthorne when they were kids, as far back as the 1930's, and they all say how wonderful their experience was. The parent council is a wonderful group and is very welcoming to any parents who wish to participate.

Posted March 25, 2006
This is a great school, with dedicated teachers and administrative staff. The school is nestled in a residential area and offers playground equipment in two locations. The School building is an old, traditional style. There is a separate library building and Music building. The Kindergarten room has an amazing view of Mount Helena. Kids slide in the snow down a slope on the north side of the building during the winter. This a great old school as opposed to many of the newer school buildings that lack character.

Hawthorne School
430 Madison Ave, Helena, MT  59601
Last modified Hawthorne School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hawthorne School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 6 reviews. Top