Omaha, NE
Before care: Yes

Catlin Magnet Center 1

Posted December 19, 2014
Education has a lot to do with leadership and unfortunately, they have poor leadership. It is a training center for principals. The most recent one is rarely at the school because he seems to always be in meetings. The holiday performance that just happened, the principal wasnt even there. Which goes to show once again he's there for a paycheck. I've attended other schools performances and their principal is there and participating. I would NEVER send a child to this school who has or needs any type of help or has special needs because you WILL NOT get it. I've fought for years trying to get my child some help and they come up with every excuse possible. Even the counselor will tell you things that are not truthful just to avoid extra help. They tend to single people out and ostracize them. For this being a music/arts school, I would recommend paying for your child to learn it elsewhere because those teachers treat the students with no respect. This should've been a great holiday performance because of the music/arts , but it was so disorganized. They need to reevaluate the teachers as well as principal. Avoid at all cost!!!!

Posted July 17, 2013
Excelling in the music and tactile arts! We have had 4 children go/going there. Violin learning by ear is excellent and astonishing to see how much 2nd/3rd graders progress. Also my daughter was doing several instruments by 5th grade, violin, harp & keyboard. However some teachers did't help with expectations for my ADD son. He was in the principals office a lot, which could have been avoided had they told us about a 501 Plan for such kids.

Catlin Magnet Center 3

Posted March 15, 2013
My kids have gone to this school and it depends on the teacher. We had a problem with a kid hurting my kid and the school not doing anything. He was bullied and tormented and nothing. I was so surprised because of the anti bullying rules. I love the music program. And that's the best thing I can say

Catlin Magnet Center 2

Posted November 02, 2012
I have been pleased with the music and arts and regular classroom education. I agree with a previous poster that if your child has special needs this probably is not the school for you. My child does not need a lot of extra attention but he is entitled to 5 hours of extra help a week. I did not receive any letter or communication until a week after the special education teacher left to go full time at another school. It will be my goal if my child continues here to get a full time special education resource teacher at this school. No child deserves not to learn or to be ostracized because of a medical condition. Also I hardly feel welcome here and the last school I volunteered in the school library 2 hours a week. It is a shame to turn away parents and free help! If you want to be an involved parent join the PTA and be certain to check on your criminal background check with the district office to get your foot in the door.

Posted August 08, 2010
I have to say that I can't imagine a student not getting the help they need at Catlin. Last year I had students who were helped by the ESL teacher, the reading specialist , Title 1 tutors both during the day and after school. Also a para was in my class for an hour every day to help those who need extra assistance. I guess I would call that extra help. As for the school itself, I hope I am never anywhere else!

Posted March 19, 2010
Great school, excellent teachers. My two children love everything that Catlin has to offer.

Catlin Magnet Center 3

Posted November 02, 2009
There are both good and bad things about Catlin magnet. I have been associated with this school as a parent since 08/03. As a magnet school for performing arts, it does have unique things to offer(violin lessons in 2nd and 3rd grade,recorder in 4th,chime choir in 5th etc). Catlin has become a principal training elementary school, as of 08/09.We are on our 4th principal in a matter of the past 7 years. Many are not pleased with this. Also, school officials do not enforce the posted one way during drop off and pick up times which make the area dangerous. The best thing about the school are the school secretaries-Mrs Rolles and Mrs Pagel--they ROCK! If your child is of normal and average ability, they will do fine at Catlin. But BEWARE if your child has special needs,and need extra help. They WON'T get it at Catlin.

Posted September 04, 2009
My son started catlin in 2nd grade as a lottery student and we are so lucky. he attended two other ops schools before catlin and I can't say enough positive things about this school. he is now in fifth grade and we still love it. the school is small and the kids feel lucky to be there. they play violin in 2nd/3rd grade and there are many added art enrichment activities that the kids enjoy. the older grades get laptops to use in class and continue with their strings lessons if they choose and also band. The PTA is great too. Really one of the best elementary schools in the area!

Catlin Magnet Center 0

Posted April 29, 2009
I gave my review already & it wasn't published, so, i'm assuming you only want positive things written here. My experience with catlin was far from positive. I would not recommend this school to anyone. It was a bitter disappointment, especially since i bought my house in this school district specifically so that my kids could attend this school.

Catlin Magnet Center 1

Posted November 10, 2008

Catlin Magnet Center
12736 Marinda St, Omaha, NE  68144
Last modified Catlin Magnet Center is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Catlin Magnet Center Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top