Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

We came in w high expectations of this school but were sadly dissapointed. The teacher often time corporately diciplined all the children though only one or two were responsible. After shadowing this classroom we went to the principal and they were no changes made. Most of the teachers are seniority there and it seems they rule the roost. Also the lunch lady is demeaning to students. My child seemed so shut down and when we transferred, he is so much more joyful. What I observed is that children that require more help or discipline get more attention....the ones that are obedient barely get aknowledged. It's sad, but the Joy in learning is not demonstrated by the teachers we encountered and shadowed.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

The way I saw many teacher's speak to their students was horrible. How could a teacher be effective when they are sarcastic to the students they teach. We saw this many times throughout the year. We were very shocked at things we would hear the teacher's saying when bringing the kids in from recess toward the end of the day.

My child was in Kindergarten at Columbian Elementary last year and we were totally shocked and disgusted at how this school and the classrooms are run with seemingly nonexistent oversight. My child had a horrible year at this school. A PTA member's child ran from across the room and kicked my child in the neck(who was sitting cross legged on the floor, reading a book) and the child was asked if it was an ACCIDENT! Of course the answer was "yes it was an accident" and the principal refused to do anything about it. Last I checked when you run across a room and kick someone in the neck there is NO WAY that is an accident! My child came home with a really sore neck that day and we were worried if there could be an injury. The teacher couldn't guarantee my child's coat would be put on(after I found out my child wasn't made to wear it numerous times when it was cold out ). I was told by the teacher that my child was ignored b/c my child "tattled too much". One morning my child and I were holding hands as we were calmly walking to class early. The teacher saw my child and aggressively dragged my child down the hall to class at an extremely fast pace, all the while I was struggling to keep hold of my child's hand and was being dragged also. Later my child said this was really scary and it had shocked me and really bothered me as well. Everyday the lunch boxes are put on the FLOOR outside the cafeteria before lunch (disgusting) and ants got inside many lunchboxes on numerous occasions. While practicing writing, if it wasn't good enough the teacher would crinkle the children's papers into a ball and throw them away and they would have to start over(totally discouraging!) The teacher danced on tables(sometimes with a skirt on) right above the children. I was always waiting for the table to flip or the teacher to fall and land on someone. It was so unsafe. The dancing would continue after the dismissal bell rang. I saw this teacher and many others speak to the kids with sarcasm many times(including my child). It was very inappropriate. There are more crazy things I could go on about but to sum it up I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone!! My child has not had ONE problem at the new school and is getting above average grades! I truly hope I can help prevent someone else's child from being afraid of school and disliking every minute of it.

My granddaughter spent the month of June in summer school at Columbian. We were all impressed with this school. From the wonderful office secretary Mrs LeFluer, the principal, Ms Posh, the lunch ladies, the two teachers of the kindergarten class were terrific. Everyone one was kind and friendly and very welcoming. It made my granddaughter desire to go there for first grade, so she is now enrolled. Awesome is the one word to describe our experience in one month of attending the school. Talk about learning, Dakota is now reading thanks to the phonics class. She is ready for first grade.

My brothers and I all went to Columbian. Excellent school with caring, qualified teachers and outstanding parent involvement. I know former classmates of mine that are now in medical school, law school, as well as other great schools and professions.

Columbian is awesome. It is around an amazing neighborhood. It definitely gives my child a great place to grow as a person and learn new things every single day.

My son goe's there and he is doing so great he is learning and talking better and he Love's his teacher's and Prinipal thank you for helping him fill at home Columbian school your awsome.

This is the top rated Omaha Public elementary school in testing scores. The class sizes are small and parent envolvement is good. Our 2 children love their teachers who are among the most tenured in the district. We are very happy with Columbian.

Last modified Columbian Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.