Bad
Good

A hidden gem! We moved our child from a private school to attend NWHS in 2014. We have found this school to be amazing! It is led by a great principal, Mr. Lee, and equally great teachers. The student body is accepting and our child has always felt safe. There are Honors and AP courses available, as well as Dual-enrollment through UNO. The teachers at this school know our child personally and far better than the small, faith-based school of 300 that she attended for 4 years previously. The academic rigor at NWHS also surpasses that of the private high school, as well. There are many opportunities for students to be involved at NW. The PTSO, Boosters, and Fine Arts offer great opportunities for parents to participate and meet others. Northwest High School has given our daughter a great education. This has resulted in many great college scholarships and educational opportunities.

I graduated from Northwest in 2012. I am currently at UNO. I fell that OPS has done such a horrible job at educating their students. When I got to UNO I felt as if I was unprepared. If you're going to send your child to any of these schools make sure that they're enrolled in AP or Honors courses. That may not even been enough for them to get the proper education. I wish that I would have taken more AP courses so I would have actually learned something valuable. I felt as if this school was a daycare for teens. I hope that OPS gets it together.

With the highest graduation rate in the OPS schools (before the learning community was established) Omaha Northwest is an outstanding school. More students go on to attend and complete college, as a percentage of graduating students, than any other high school in the area (See OPS stats). With additional of Magnet Status for law, criminal justice and psycholgy, NWS offers a diverse curriculum for its diverse population.

I am a parent of 3 currently attending and one who will be attending next year. I have enjoyed NW and believe the teachers, counselors and administrators I have encountered to be exemplary. They go out of their way to help every child. What is severely lcking is parental involvement. The same parents are running every event and sit on the committees and PTSO and such. School is not meant to be free daycare for your children. You must be involved in order to get the maximum results. If there was one thing I would change that would be it.

Facts about Northwest High School: 1. OPS has turned Northwest into a de facto alternative school. Each school should get an equal number of alternative school students but NW gets many more every year. 2. NW teachers are as qualified as those teaching in the other schools and has award winning teachers in a number of subjects. The state of Nebraska doesn't have lower qualifications or standards for teachers at NW. 3. 70% of NW students are low income, are bussed to school, and get free and reduced lunch. NW has the highest % of poor students in the state of Nebraska (based on enrollment) yet ranks in the top 3 schools in OPS in ALL academic areas. 4. Since 2003, Northwest is one of 3 OPS schools to participate at state in football, basketball, AND baseball. NW finished in the top 10 at the State Track Meet in 2005-07.

We will surely miss Mrs. Nared, she has done a fine job with NW high school. this is an up and coming school, it gets better and better.

Northwest is a strong school for academics and athletics. AP classes, Dual Enrollment and good teachers are just some examples of how academics is strong. Northwest Huskies Baseball Team won district championship this year. Basketball and football and many more sports are a big part of Northwest, and Northwest is having a new football field built this year. I would recommend Northwest to anyone.

I recently graduated from Northwest and am proud to be an alumni. Northwest has not gotten the credit it deserves the last few years! I'll admit, some of our athletics have not been the best, but the academics, variety of honors classes and music programs have really shined in recently. Give it a chance and you'll find someplace to fit in at this school. The teachers and especially the principle are all there working for the students!!!

Many people look down on Northwest, but it is really not such a bad place at all. If you want to learn, take honors and AP classes and participate in school. Our Choir is nationally ranked, are a leadership 'focus' school and our teachers really care about the students. Don't be scared to send your children here! It really is a good school!

The Principal and the teaching staff that our children have had are there to help us . Together we help our children.The Music program is outstanding.

Last modified Omaha Northwest Magnet High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.