Sunny Slope Elementary School 5

Posted November 08, 2010
I am a "new" parent to Sunny Slope I have two students that are doing wonderfully academically. Unfortunately, some of our personal life has infiltrated Sunny Slope and I had to have numerous meetings with Ms. Whitehouse regarding my ex-husband's bad behavior (I have full custody). She listened, understood and respected my wishes in regards to the educational needs of my children. The staff is very commited to their profession. Their professionalism, honesty and integrity is evident everyday.

Posted March 01, 2009

Posted March 09, 2008

Posted May 30, 2007
My 2 children (girls) go to this school. Not only does the PTA not get involved more with the children for activities, (they only plan one field-trip per class per year) But the PTA seems to be a social club. I can't give good reviews of this school, it is just bad. if I had a chance to pull my kids out and send them back to Bellevue schools, I would in an instant. The Teachers are just wanting to get their stuff done and not really teach. IMHO Don't send your kids to Sunnyslope Elementary.

Sunny Slope Elementary School 5

Posted March 28, 2007
My son is a kindergartner this year at Sunnyslope Elementary, and I am very impressed with their program. He just had his 3rd quarter conference, and to see the vast improvement in his writing and reading skills from September 2006 to March 2007 was wonderful! He learns respect and rules in his class, and has also applied his rules from school at home. They also have programs in place to teach the appropriate behavior at school and each child knows what is expected of him/her. I now have a daughter starting kindergarten in the fall, and would not want to send her anywhere else but Sunnyslope. I am extremely confident in the teachers and the principal.

Posted March 20, 2007
Very poorly organized school. My daughter was new this year and my first impression was the principal allowing me to walk right past him and he didn't even stop me or ask me who I was or what I was doing there. He didn't and still doesn't know me. I have great concerns about safety. Next, the curriculum lacks a challenge. This elementary is in need of some extra curriculum to help keep the students busy, and out of trouble. If I had not moved into this district I would never have my daughter attend here. We are going to try and move.

Posted March 23, 2006
I have had nothing but a positive experience with my involvement at Sunny Slope Elementary. Students are taught by a caring and genuine staff that deeply cares about the best interest of the children. I think that too often, it is easy to focus on the negative aspect of situations, rather than work with the classroom teacher and principal to be proactive. In addition, I feel that it is unfair to judge the quality of education received at Sunny Slope based on the use of substitute teachers. Like the rest of us, teachers are human! Because they work in an environment with children that is prone to illness, they are more likely to become sick. This, and other unforseen reasons (such as surgeries, family illnesses,deaths,etc.) call for teachers to be absent. Many times, it is more difficult and time consuming to plan for a substitute teacher, than to be present.

Sunny Slope Elementary School 2

Posted August 21, 2005
My son attended Sunny Slope for 5 years. I was always complacent and thought I was happy until he transfer to another school in the district. Sunny Slope parents do not know what they are missing out on. The principal at his new school is involved in every aspect. She knows children by name and is always out in the halls making sure things like bullying are not happening. Sunny Slopes principal is not involved in the daily acitivities of the school. He has stood up the PTA on more than one occassion. As far as academics, my son was at the top of his class at Sunny Slope, now he just getting by. He would be much more advanced if he would have been attending this other school all along. Parents at Sunny Slope should look in to other schools and demand thier children recieve what others child are receiving.

Sunny Slope Elementary School 3

Posted July 18, 2005
The principle appears afraid to stand up to parents. My child has been bullied for 3 years and nothing was ever done, except turn the other way to avoid confrontation. Students are not treated the same and rarely is there any consequences for the children that are out of control, again afraid of parents. My child lost a lot in 3rd grade due to a teacher being absent more than present- taught by several different substitutes.

Posted June 28, 2005
I feel that the administration and staff at Sunnyslope are very caring and supporting. As in all district schools extracurricular activities are limited because of funding. A school can only offer activties for parent involvement - but the parents need to get up to school. As for discipline students and parents need to be held accountable. The school is kept up well, neat and tidy- the custodians after school are helpful. Yes the classroom's have large attendance but that is something to discuss with the superintendent. My child is in the fourth grade.

Sunny Slope Elementary School
10828 Old Maple Rd, Omaha, NE  68164
Last modified Sunny Slope Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sunny Slope Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top