Omaha, NE
Students enrolled: 1,913

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted July 22, 2015
The wrong type of homework is given. I do not do my homework at home. I can scribble numbers on a lined sheet of paper in math and the teacher just glances over it and it looks like enough.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted July 22, 2015
Ha. What determination. I know 10 kids who dropped a class because there was too much homework. The teacher didn't mind. He just let them drop the class.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted July 22, 2015
Students have zero free speech. The open mods are the worst. Librarians and teachers of out of their way to make sure students are miserable and unable to enjoy school.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted July 22, 2015
Teachers openly express how much they hate other schools and other high school football teams

Posted January 17, 2015
I love this school my view of life would be completely different if I went to a different school I just can't imagine anything better! I love the 5 star healthy food and love having open modes and all of the staff members they're all just phenomenal! I'm currently a junior and graduate in 2016 and my favorite teacher is my Honors American Literature teacher Mr. Sayre because he's so inspirational! I love the Apple Macbook Air laptops and the Caffe Express and GOSH! I definitely love this school. I guess my all time favorite thing about Westside High School is all of the AP and Honors classes.

Westside High School 1

Posted December 11, 2014
I go to Westside and honestly it is not the best school in omaha. The deans will say they will help you with a situation but they really don't. I believe Westside is also really racist. If you aren't white you get treated differently. The deans let kids bully you and they let people torment you. People have tried or have committed suicide that went/go to Westside because when they tell someone that they are getting bullied or that they feel suicidal they don't do anything except run there mouths saying everything will be okay and not to stress about it.

Westside High School 4

Posted March 27, 2014
Anybody notice that the Superintendent Blane McCann just repeats the same stories from Shore wood and Kanosha Wisconsin? He's a babbling brook of cliches and tired stories. And like most small minded people you had better agree with him. Good things will happen here but not because of him.

Westside High School 2

Posted December 01, 2013
I will add my voice to those expressing concerns that Westside is failing students who are not interested in a traditional 4-yr university. With both my sons their claim of opportunity for all learners was hollow. The courses and support for skilled tradesmen is limited as these students seem to be written off as second-class citizens. If your child is scholarship or advanced placement focused this is the right place. If your child takes high school as a necessary stepping stone to a trade and the real world they will likely struggle. I have four degrees to include graduate levels; my son is passionate about turning wrenches. This would have been a great school for me, he has been through four years of hell. This school has a lot of work to do to keep from losing non-college bound students and become an all around good high school.

Posted July 06, 2013
Been in higher ed for over 25 years. Sent my children to WHS - arguably the best public high school in the Midwest. High quality teachers, counselors, administrators, programming. The community supports it big time educationally and athletically.

Posted June 03, 2013
I attended Millard North Hugh School for my freshman and sophomore year and I can tell you first hand Westside is head and shoulders over MNHS. The scheduling gets you prepared for college while the student body supports one another even though they have differences. In my time at Westside I was able to truly come out of my "shell" and be who I wanted to be and still I was more than accepted by everyone. The staff is tremendous! In my time at the school I came closer with some of the teachers than I did some of my peers which sounds wierd but they are very down to earth people and are open for discussion at all times. The last thing I will say is if you attend the school you should definitely take a marketing class! The teachers are fantastic and the environment is more than welcoming. I feel as though you wouldn't get the true high school experience without having marketing without Mrs. Harmon or Mrs. Schau!

8701 Pacific St, Omaha, NE  68114
Last modified Westside High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Westside High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top