Omaha, NE
Students enrolled: 2,297

Posted June 22, 2014
I rented a house in the Millard West School district so my kids could attend the highest ranking school in Omaha. I am happy with my decision. Academics: Millard has academies such as the education academy, culinary academy, and the entrepreneurship academy. These academies count as college credit. In addition, there are a variety of AP classes that count towards college. There is also a variety of standard classes from art to theater to foreign language. Building: The campus is quite nice: newer building, swimming pool, tennis courts, gymnasiums, science labs, art gallery, etc. All are maintained. On the negative side there is a lot of parking but never enough. Security: Millard West feels safe and secure. A security guard desk manned by two or three people is just inside the front doors. Also, a police car is parked at the main entrance at times and a car patrols the parking lot. Communication: The school keeps parents informed through an internet site, emails, newsletters, and recorded phone calls. If you are looking for a school with high academics, this is the place for you. The greatest negative is the lack of diversity.

Millard West High School 4

Posted May 27, 2014
I am a grandmother of a Millard West student that graduated on Sunday. I just have one question: Where was the American Flag at the graduation service? You honored the Vets- but NO flag was in sight. WHY?

Posted March 09, 2013
Go West! Go Drwal! Best school ever. Fun school and great academics. I'm so happy that i'm at this wonderful school.

Millard West High School 4

Posted February 01, 2012
Millard West is an outstanding school. I disagree with other posts about the whole names and athletics business. My daughter and I moved from out of state her freshman year, and she got into the girl's basketball program right away without knowing any of the coaches or staff. She worked hard and got the position on JV when most sophomores and juniors just make reserve. As far as money goes, the students at West are very affluent. I don't necessarily think that the kids are too concerned with money, but it does play a minor part on your social status, which is very unfortunat.

Posted January 19, 2011
We think very highly of Millard West and the positive education our kids received there. They were encouraged and challenged with advanced courses and AP classes that gave them college credit. (I would skip the dual enrollment with UNO, and concentrate on the AP classes). Millard West has indeed won many championships the past several years: football, swimming, volleyball, track, to name a few. My kids were not the greatest athletes but they found many ways to be involved in a school of over 2,000.

Millard West High School 1

Posted December 08, 2010
You can forget about athletics in this school unless you are connected. Hard work and ability come second after who you know in the coaches eyes. Just look at the state championships won. Not many and not in every sport. You will go far if you have parents that are IN with the coaches. The administration has lost all credibility in dealing with the coaches.

Posted April 20, 2010
I love Millard West. I have attended multiple high schools and this was my favorite. The teachers truly care about the students and have a passion for teaching. I was challenged to do better in my honors classes as well as my regular classes. MWHS has a great atmosphere. There are very few fights and the teachers and staff create a safe environment. This school has great athletics and fine arts. I feel that they try to recognize everyone at the school. Millard West has nice and up to date technology that many school in the area lack. The only thing that MWHS lacks is diversity, which can't be helped because of its location. I have truly enjoyed my time at Millard West.

Millard West High School 0

Posted April 19, 2010
I agree with the political nature of athletics at Millard West. It's all about name, or how 'hot' your mom is, or how much daddy makes. Of course talent will get picked, but hard work and effort will be passed over every time unless of course; hot mom, rich dad, etc.

Posted April 13, 2010
Millard West is one of the best schools in the state, on par with the private schools in Omaha and Millard North. The school offers plenty of AP classes and allows you to make the most out of your education. I was well prepared for my college curriculum, and the school offered plenty of clubs and sports. Some reviewers are complaining about a lack of diversity, but this can't be helped because of location. I agree that many students need the opportunity to interact with minority students, some students are culturally inept. Another negative aspect about the school is that sports are highly political, if you don't make a team freshman year than you can expect not to make one any other year. Some students were picked over other students by reputation alone, regardless of talent or intelligence.

Millard West High School 2

Posted August 19, 2009

Millard West High School
5710 South 176 Ave, Omaha, NE  68135
Last modified Millard West High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Millard West High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top