Papillion-La Vista Senior High School

Public | 9-12 | 1514 students

Posted June 18, 2014

Plhs is a hard working school with hard working staff that does everything they can to facilitate learning to the highest level for each child. There are always kids and parents who are unhappy but it's probably not the ones who show up ready to learn and give as much as they take. It takes a village and they give as much as they can. My son is an honors student who is challenged everyday. The broadcasting program is outstanding as well as the arts and athletics. Many options for all kids if they choose. My son is the sophomore class president - plays 3 sports - does broadcasting and takes AP classes. What a great opportunity he has to be well rounded and engaged in many areas.

Posted May 7, 2013

I used to be a student here and there are a few areas where I felt really unprepared for an actual university. The english department is awful for the most part and the science teachers only care about the sports teams they run. The math department I learned a lot and is full of great teachers and for the most part so is history. If you want your child to be prepared for college do not send them here. I was hit with a brick wall with how much more work I needed to do than the rest of my peers. Also if you want ACTUAL GOOD TEACHERS, then they need to be paid. This nonsense where teachers only at best make 35K a year is not going to give a school good teachers.

Posted November 30, 2012

i am a student and i have went to this high school since freshmen year some teacher are great and some are just bad. I have talk to my principal to switch teacher that i had last year and i didnt learn anything and he wouldnt let me switch. are principal are not the best and that needs to change. i have also been bullied and i tell principals they will not do anything about it and we have been a builled free school. dont believe them because i have been bullied and they still say that no one has been bullied. i have told one of my teacher and he has talked to that student. some of the teachers are the best but the principals are just bad

Posted November 16, 2012

This school is terrible. Only one of my children graduated and went to college, for a year. The other one droped out. They do no encourgement for graduation nor college. I regrett even moving to this town

Posted November 16, 2012

I was bullied everyday that I went there. The teachers don't care, neither did the administrators. The best day of my life was the day my parents let me transfer back to our old school

Posted December 6, 2011

I have never delt with such an unprofessional group of "administrators".We actually moved to Papillion b/c of the great reviews of the schools. What a mistake!!! Principal Kalina is very unprofessional and that sets the tone for the rest of the staffs behavior. Be prepared to e-mail teachers and have the only response be snyde comments to your children.

Posted March 20, 2011

My daugther as attended this school since 9th grade and she will be a Junior fall of 2011. She has received an excellent education with being on the honor roll every year since beginning. I think the only downfall would be the amount of children that attend. My daughter tells me that hallways are extremely pack and traffic for picking her up is terrible. But other than that, I think this is a great school and I'm proud to say that my daughter is a MONARCH!

Posted November 3, 2009

Papillion-La Vista High School has the best parent-teacher-student triage I've ever seen. There is no problem they aren't willing to work with students or parents to solve.

Posted October 21, 2009

when you walk in the door everyone is nice. you just need to know the right kids to talk to. all the students are not all happy and bouncy. their are some that r bad apples. but over all teachers are great, my daughter loves the high school.

Posted October 9, 2009

I have had three kids go through the school system elementry through high school and still have two attending. My experience is the administrators will do everything in their power to help a student pass their classes and provide opportunities because they have tools to give to the students that other schools do not have. Just so were clear, #1 went to OSU engeneering 1yr then to joined the Airforce, #2 went to Creighton one yr. now attending UNO, #3 had problems with social responsibilities still working through those problems, #4 Senior and doing great! #5 is on top in their 3rd grade class. I say these things is because its up to the student and they make all the choices on what path to take 'easy road or hard road'. Finally, find out how to play the game or simply follow the rules. Leave the dam cell phones at home!

Posted June 29, 2009

The students are rude and act like they don't know any better then to act like little children. They make fun of others if they arn't just like everyone else. Most of the teachers seem tired but for the most part they are nice and hard-working aside from the ones that don't seem to care. The rules only seem to aply to those that are not in a sport or the like. It's an okay school if you are a 'popular' type.

Posted November 14, 2008

I completely disagree with all of the reveiws so far. My child has had a couple of great principals that supported her through her difficulties but then had a principal that was inexperienced & unable to set aside his frustrations to work with her & us. We had a school counselor tell us they did not have time for her. Most individual teachers were very respectful of my child & her problems but I would not encourage anyone to send their child here unless they are PERFECTLY behaved & without flaws. We are very supportive of educators & worked through difficulties for many years until this last principal.

Posted December 1, 2006

My children transferred into this school from a neighboring school district. The adminstration, teachers and coaches are outstanding. They give the phrase 'going above and beyond' a whole new meaning. What will be even more remarkable are the students. They are polite, kind, respectful, active and intelligent. Although we only moved 15 miles, we feel like we are in a whole new world!

Posted September 13, 2006

Great programs, good school. Friendly staff & caring counselors.

Posted July 8, 2005

My child loves to go to this school district. She has recieved excellent grades in all of her classes that range from Math and Science to Drama and Foreign Languages. I, as a parent, am very involved. I get a monthly newsletter plus feedback from my daughters teachers during the year. She can easily handle and join many extracurriculars such as Cheerleading, Art, many sports, Drama, Food and Nutrition, Dance, Colorguard, National Honor Society, Student Council, and so many other clubs and activities. The teachers relate to all of their students on a friendly level, which helps the students to be encouraged to ask for help when needed. The students here are well behaved and excellent scholars. I personally love this school district and I hope you will come and join it!

Posted April 28, 2004

This school is wonderful with respectful kids and many hardworking teachers as well as students.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

382 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

381 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

382 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 69% in 2013.

378 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Nebraska used the Nebraska State Accountability (NeSA) assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in reading and math; in grades 4, 8 and 11 in writing; and in grades 5, 8 and 11 in science. The NeSA assessments are standards-based tests, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nebraska. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Nebraska Department of Education

White, not Hispanic84%
Students eligible for free and reduced lunch65%
Special education students55%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups were identified by the Nebraska Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Nebraska Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 23%N/A44%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

402 East Centennial Rd