PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

I moved my daughters over to Henderson International School from a local "top rated" public school six years ago & have never regretted that move. This year my oldest daughter has started high school at a private local catholic school & is doing quite well! HI has given her the skills, knowledge, & confidence to become the success that she is. My younger daughter continues to thrive in middle school & I have no doubts that the faculty & staff will continue to provide excellent opportunities for all of the students at HI.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My daughter's third-grade teacher at HIS has 35 years teaching experience, a masters degree in education, and has been teaching at this particular school for 15 years. Experienced teachers are key. This school recruits the best and keeps them.

Amount of homework: Agree

My child has never had more than an hour of homework at this school. I love that a lot of big projects are done on school time and not at-home projects that the parents are forced to do on behalf of their child. Parents don't need homework, children do, and homework should be something the child can do on their own with minimal assistance and then have an adult check it for accuracy. Homework should only be a review of what has already been taught, and parents should not be relied upon to be teachers of new material - "parent teaching" was our experience at another school. What I love about Henderson International School is that math/spelling homework is only a review, plus 30 minutes of reading each night.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Honesty, integrity, and fairness are all taught as part of core values at Henderson International School.

Simply amazing school. Extremely well-rounded, teachers who care, and deliver results. My child is thriving!

Save your hard earned money and don't buy into the fancy campus. Mediocre school at best.

I have two children at HIS and have been here for 5 years. I am extremely satisfied with the education and individual learning plans my children have received. My 2nd grade son is reading and testing in math at a 4th grade level and my Pre-K daughter is reading, spelling and doing math. In addition, they are receiving a well rounded experience by having their core education along with art, music, P.E. and a whole host of "extras" that seem to get cut out of schools these days. The administration has been nothing but supportive when I've had a question or concern, but admittedly, I haven't had many of those. Before people read reviews, they need to consider a few things. First and foremost, parents need to be involved in their child's learning. It doesn't just end at school. Second, a child's aptitude is not synonymous with the tuition you pay. I often hear the argument of "if I pay more my child should know more" which is fundamentally untrue. Some kids are just smarter than others, regardless of where they go to school, what teacher they have, or is their school is free or requires tuition. Third, I'm curious when I hear people say "my child isn't learning." As mentioned above, my children are well above their grade level and are farther along than their peers in public school in Nevada and California. Do parents want kids learning Quantum Physics in elementary school? With all that, I'm not naive to think that every teacher at HIS is amazing. Just like anywhere else, you will have great teachers and you will have not so great teachers. Look back at your own education and I'm sure you'll be able to identify the good and not so good teachers you had over the years. I just felt compelled to review HIS because I think people get a case of the grass is greener sometimes without considering what I've mentioned. Of all my friends who's children go to various public and private schools throughout Henderson and Las Vegas, not one school is 100% perfect. We are happy at HIS!

As a parent, I just find it weird that the last two comments left on this website have to do with people who have visited the school or who have just seen a snap shot of HIS. There is no way you can know what is going on at this school until you have actually witnessed it. This school keeps losing great teachers! There is a reason they are leaving and the parents who are deciding to stay need to ask why? The teachers that have left have figured out that the entire school is not giving their high paying customers (the parents) what they are paying for - a good education. Our children have not been taught over the years and if you were smart, you would take your child anywhere but here. They have no intentions of changing and I am not sure the administration and teachers that are left actually know what to do to make it better. The whole thing is so sad to me.

I have had the fortunate experience of being able to spend several days at your campus here in Henderson. As a mother who sent two children through public schools with underwhelming results, I am excited by what I have seen and experienced at Henderson International. From interactions with teachers and students, classroom discussions that I've heard, and enriching school events, I can honestly say that the children who attend this school have a distinct advantage over other children. Right now I have nephews enrolled in this school and I would highly recommend Henderson International School to other family and friends.

Our children have attended Henderson International School or its predecessor school since pre-school. Several changes have occurred at Henderson International School from location, to staff to curriculum; however, all of the changes haven t been as detrimental as the changes made since the beginning of last year. These changes have resulted in a less academic schedule. The academic class times have been shortened, the curriculum is weak and the implementation of Standard Based Grading has creating more reporting and less teaching from teachers. Core academic classes get less attention and time, while other elective classes like Mine Craft , bridge building and basketball are offered. I understand that several of these electives also touch on mathematics and science; however, academics should come first. These classes are interesting and engaging, but should be offered as after-school options rather than substitutes for academics. The administrators at the school are useless and rude. I am sorry to say that I have wasted so much time and money on a school that has left my children less prepared than the public school system.

Last modified The Henderson International School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8