PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted June 10, 2016
All of the teachers and administration at Henderson International School! They are simply the best!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 10, 2016
My daughter's third-grade teacher at HIS has 35 years teaching experience, a masters degree in education, and has been teaching at this particular school for 15 years. Experienced teachers are key. This school recruits the best and keeps them.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 10, 2016
My child has never had more than an hour of homework at this school. I love that a lot of big projects are done on school time and not at-home projects that the parents are forced to do on behalf of their child. Parents don't need homework, children do, and homework should be something the child can do on their own with minimal assistance and then have an adult check it for accuracy. Homework should only be a review of what has already been taught, and parents should not be relied upon to be teachers of new material - "parent teaching" was our experience at another school. What I love about Henderson International School is that math/spelling homework is only a review, plus 30 minutes of reading each night.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted June 10, 2016
I absolutely agree with the statement. This school has a personalized learning plan for every single student, with individual, measurable goals that start day one and continue until the end of the school year. It has been my experience that the teachers at this school stop at nothing to achieve the goals that are set forth. My child has gone from a 43% score in reading comprehension (from when we tested in after transferring from a different school,) and is now at 90%. This is a result of the efforts of these teachers and encouraging my child to persist and hit her goals.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted June 10, 2016
100% agree. At the school, there is zero tolerance for bullying - it's non-existent as far as I've seen - and the staff and administration are wonderful at encouraging students to be kind to each other.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 10, 2016
There are service opportunities provided to students throughout the year, whether it is bringing in lunches for the homeless, or donations for food drives, or coat drives during the holidays, the school teaches kids the importance of philanthropy.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 10, 2016
Honesty, integrity, and fairness are all taught as part of core values at Henderson International School.

The Henderson International School 5

Posted June 10, 2016
Simply amazing school. Extremely well-rounded, teachers who care, and deliver results. My child is thriving!

The Henderson International School 2

Posted April 25, 2016
Save your hard earned money and don't buy into the fancy campus. Mediocre school at best.

The Henderson International School 5

Posted February 27, 2016
I have two children at HIS and have been here for 5 years. I am extremely satisfied with the education and individual learning plans my children have received. My 2nd grade son is reading and testing in math at a 4th grade level and my Pre-K daughter is reading, spelling and doing math. In addition, they are receiving a well rounded experience by having their core education along with art, music, P.E. and a whole host of "extras" that seem to get cut out of schools these days. The administration has been nothing but supportive when I've had a question or concern, but admittedly, I haven't had many of those. Before people read reviews, they need to consider a few things. First and foremost, parents need to be involved in their child's learning. It doesn't just end at school. Second, a child's aptitude is not synonymous with the tuition you pay. I often hear the argument of "if I pay more my child should know more" which is fundamentally untrue. Some kids are just smarter than others, regardless of where they go to school, what teacher they have, or is their school is free or requires tuition. Third, I'm curious when I hear people say "my child isn't learning." As mentioned above, my children are well above their grade level and are farther along than their peers in public school in Nevada and California. Do parents want kids learning Quantum Physics in elementary school? With all that, I'm not naive to think that every teacher at HIS is amazing. Just like anywhere else, you will have great teachers and you will have not so great teachers. Look back at your own education and I'm sure you'll be able to identify the good and not so good teachers you had over the years. I just felt compelled to review HIS because I think people get a case of the grass is greener sometimes without considering what I've mentioned. Of all my friends who's children go to various public and private schools throughout Henderson and Las Vegas, not one school is 100% perfect. We are happy at HIS!

1165 Sandy Ridge Ave, Henderson, NV  89052
Last modified The Henderson International School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8