Estes M Mcdoniel Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted February 28, 2014

My School is Estes McDoniel Elementry. My daughter is in first grade, and her test scores dropped significantly after placing her in this school after doing the K-12 program at home. I was told that she was put into the wrong classes, and that maybe we should look into a Magnet school in March. School is almost over. It would've been nice to know that her test scores were declining, and she didn't waste the majority of the year doing the same curriculum she was doing in Kindergarten. Any time I had to talk to Ulysses, she was very short, and made you feel like you were wasting her time. My child loves to learn, and I don't think this school is up to par with students like her. Dropping her off was a nightmare! I m so glad that today was her last day. I do not recommend you enrolling your child here if you want them to have a good future.

Posted August 7, 2013

My school is Estes McDoniel an International School and I think we have here a great school with an exceptional staff and PTA. The bilingual program and our Marine Lab make Estes McDoniel a fun school and all kids love that.

Posted August 6, 2013

My School is Estes McDoniel Elementry. I am very proud that my kids go there. Estes Mcdoniel is an international school, they have an awesome marine lab for the students, the teachers are very respectful with parents and students. The administrative are extremely polite, nice, respectful they make you fell as family, They work great with the PTA and they have supported all the events. The School was able to raise money to have another computer lab and it was a success. The entire staff, parents, PTA and the community worked very well together they have a great watch dog program meaning DAD are super heroes at the school they dedicated their time same as the volunteers at their school. Well Done ESTES MCDONIEL.

Posted December 2, 2010

We moved to this neighborhood just for this school when our son was in 3rd.We knew we would work with him to get him up to speed in spanish but the principal said they would help us.Then she left and we were left with the vp - so in the spring we needed help and the next 2 years we asked for help, we did not get any. We asked for tutoring help, direction or names and were told "he would get it automatically". When our straight A student started the 5th grade with a D in math, we were told "not every child succeeds at everything" we believe that is why America is failing - don't address a math teacher who should not be teaching this grade (we spent days in the classroom watching). Every time we tried to get help, we were told "he is fine". As parents of an adopted child whom we have spent many hours and dollars figuring out, we knew he was not fine. Due to our experience he is not going to middle school in the CCSD. We are using the on-line program K-12. His A's are back, his frustration is reduced and we do not have 4 hours of homework every night because teachers do not have time to teach in the classroom of 30 kids - 15 with learning issues (my kid included)

Posted April 24, 2010

The teachers, the bilingual curriculum from K-5, the wonderful Walk-About Nights, the extra-curricular activities.

Posted February 18, 2010

I love this school. I have gotten to know the teachers, students, staff and parents because I have a student there and substitute teach there. I am a licensed teacher myself and know that the teachers are giving so much to the kids. The office is great! The school is well managed, has tons of parent involvement, many extracurricular activities, etc. The spanish program is great, there is a marine lab with a seperate science teacher as part of all of the students' specials. There is a watchdog dad program that allows dads to be at the school all day patroling and helping. There are wonderful teachers and programs for children with special needs as well. Students come from all over to attend this school and they have several students on zone variances, including my daughter. I can't say enough about this school!

Posted February 5, 2010

Estes Mc Doniel is a fabulous school. The teachers and staff are wonderful.The parents that volunteer are well appreciated . The dual language program gives our students an edge. I am so glad to be apart of this amazing school.

Posted February 4, 2010

This school has been amazing for my little boy. When he arrived in the second grade I was having real difficulties at home and he was affected by that. Thanks to his 2nd grade teacher, Ms Gorter, he has been totally transformed. Thank you!!!

Posted May 6, 2009

I've been a parent at the school since 2002, and have seen it change from a 2.5 hr K program in English (all grades getting 1-2 hrs of Spanish/wk), to an all-day K, dual-language program with Spanish for math & science and English for reading & other subjects. I have had two children go through McDoniel and I've been with two principals. My older child had a wonderful experience at Estes for K-5, and I moved here for Estes. My second child has been in the dual-language program since K, and I can see a big difference in the reading ability, math and overall depth of knowledge in all subject areas. My children are both 'high-achieving', so I can only surmise that the dual-language program is the reason.

Posted August 30, 2008

Estes McDoniel is a wonderful school. We moved to the area after hearing about the school and it was the best decision I could have made. After 2 years of attending the school, we were sad to leave. The office staff is wonderful and caring and gets to know the children, and the teachers work with the students to reach their highest potential. The PTA is wonderful, the parental involvement is great, and the extra-curricular activities are the best. I especially loved how resources are available to help children with special needs, whether they are advanced and need to be challenged, or they are struggling and need to be helped. The Spanish program can not be beat. If you want a school that cares about kids, is serious about education, and has amazing volunteer and extracurricular opportunities, McDoniel is the school for you!

Posted March 28, 2008

Thank you very much. I was made to feel like I was the only one that had a problem with the staff. I, unfortuantely, can't volunteer due to working - I wished I could to keep more of an eye on everything. The staff is very quick to point the finger when a problem arrises and refuses to admit or confront problems about one of their own. My child has been made to feel like everything he does is wrong, but it's ok for others. He's also scolded for telling when he's being bothered or hurt. I've tried giving this school the benefit of the dounbt for these 2 years. But I'm done. This is ridiculous.

Posted February 21, 2008

Unfortunately this school is too caught up in themselves to really care about the students. Teachers when confronted with a question seem to be defensive rather than working with the parents and making it better for the student. My child has been there for 3 years and it's changed greatly from the first year that my child attended. Unfortunantely it has changed for the worse.

Posted May 31, 2007

We moved here from Prescott AZ & thought Anna would have a hard time with the move & the teachers & staff made it so great. Anna has always needed extra help in reading & math & they just took control of the matter.She will be moving on to middle school & I will miss all the teachers & staff that have made our familys life so great for 2 years. We Love You All.

Posted January 23, 2007

Although this is the only elementary school we've been involved with, I can whole-heartedly say we feel blessed to have our children there. The dual-language program is amazing! We do not speak Spanish in our home but our children do and never stop amazing us. The teachers we've had have always been willing to discuss any issues and then be proactive to work with our kids as needed. The parents as a whole are active (as able) and the new Watch D.O.G. program that involves the fathers is wonderful. We love this school!

Posted September 19, 2006

Our daughter has gone to Estes McDoniel for two years now. We feel that she is getting the education that is needed. The Principal is a well rounded person and believes in what she does. The School carries high standard for its self and of the students. We feel that the teacher our always ready to go one step more for the students. We feel that Estes McDoniel is a great school and would ask parents to check it out.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 18, 2006

My kids have been at Estes for a few years and we have a few to go. Yes there has been changes with the dual language program. Yes teachers have left and new are present. The school is still highly rated for its academics. Homework could be cut back. I have children who excel and those who don't. One child passed through and was diagnosed with problems. Another has been assessed and is being given extra help. I don't think we can blame these descrepancies on an entire school. Overall, the school is great, most of the staff is great. The main problem has been that the parent involvement is high and there is a suffering of Hyper-parenting and immense gossip at times that is the downfall. I have overheard too many times parents speaking about other peoples children and not nicely comparing scores, classwork, etc. This is the shame.

Posted January 6, 2006

A once great school with professional and experienced teachers is gone and a trendy, inconsistant school with a revolving door staff is left. It's a shame that a principal is allowed to grind a school into the ground. I'm so glad that my child is leaving this school soon. I would rather my child be taught this country's official language and be taught well, rather than be taught spanish and english half way.

Posted November 29, 2005

I was really surprised when I read some of the other reviews. I am extremely happy with this school. I admit that the transition was rough when moving to the dual language program and it is true that good teachers left but I've been very impressed with the new teachers and I think the program will get stronger as the new teachers get plugged in. I have noticed that the principal seems to know each of the kids and their interests. I have one child who has been at McDoniel for 3 years and he loves participating in all his classes and other activities, especially GATE and Miler's Club. My husband and I both volunteer regularly even though we both work full time. I think more kids and parents would have the positive experiences we have had if they were more involved.

Posted October 30, 2005

The teachers seem to try hard but they have to deal with rediculous programs and a loony principal. I have two girls, one has been to McDoniel and she couldn't wait to get out. Good activities have been scrapped for this dual language program. It seems that nothing matters to the principal but this spanish program. I hope the school board replaces this principal with a sensible person soon.

Posted August 16, 2005

I personally think that Estes Mcdoniel is going down hill very fast. PTA parents are very petty and childish. They are more focused on themselves and their rank than what really matters the most. Which is the children. The children can see right through all this. Just because someone donates money to the school it does not give them any special priveledges, and to use that to manipulate to get their way. I think that the overall instruction time is not what it should be. since when should parents have to buy books to teach their children math? Don't get me wrong their are a few exceptional teachers at this school. I have unfortunately seen a lot of good ones go. The teacher turnover is high, not a good sign. The teachers should spend more time instructing the children rather than leaving it all to the parents with a overload of homework!

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the Criterion Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The CRT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 61% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 44% in 2011.

101 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students74%

Students without disabilities65%
Proficient in English71%
Not migrant67%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students85%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 49%N/A54%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1831 Fox Ridge Dr