Green Valley High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 15 students

Posted Sunday, August 24, 2014

...All about the numbers and not students. They refused my son due to his GPA and we live 2 miles away. We've read the reviews on Coronado, our Zoned school over six miles away, and I refuse to allow him to attend. Note: Coronado is overcrowded with portables. So, it's not about the student ratio. It's about the student progress numbers; politics. He also has his personal reasons which we conveyed to GVH. They did not care; only about his GPA. We relocated here in July. JULY!. Thanks for the support and opportunity for an education, GVH.

Posted February 14, 2014

I have 2 children that have or are attending GVHS currently. I have lived in Henderson for 30 years and Green Valley has always ranked as the top school. Coronado and Foothill are excellent schools as well but don't have the parent/teacher relationship nor music; arts; sports and academic commitment that GVHS has. Parent involvement; sports; student government; school activities are important to our family and Green Valley delivers on all Fronts. Our son's have been able to travel with the school to the Macy's Day parade; Perform at Carnegie Hall; Obama Inauguration; Compete for State Titles in Baseball; Swimming; Diving. Jeff Horn is an amazing, caring, compassionate educator. I am looking to move to Memphis for work and the school and surrounding neighborhood are important to me as a parent. Green Valley neighborhood is nationally ranked as a city for their Parks and Recreation. Little League; Lacrosse; BMX and Skateboard parks; 15 minutes from the Airport; 10 minutes from Malls; Retail; Grocery stores; minutes from the Interstate; Golf course; If you can think of an amenity; Green Valley has it and the High School is at the Epicenter. GO GATORS!!!!!

Posted October 24, 2013

This school has a very good reputation, so much so that we are doing our best to stay in the area so our child will be in this high school. I work at an apartment complex and there are people who have moved from out of state so that their children could attend this school.

Posted August 9, 2013

Green Valley is a excellent school. I have been very impressed by the academics and extracurricular activities available. The AP/IB programs have very high expectations. The teachers have been very supportive and helpful in my child's success. The volleyball and debate teams are incredible. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted May 31, 2012

This school is absolutely terrific! The teachers and staff are outstanding. Of course, it's a large public school so there are going to be some students who we parents would rather not see there but they really manage it well and it is safe and surprisingly clean. I've made time to personally meet the teachers and it's obvious they really care. The school has been recognized by Newsweek for its' academics, by Sports Illustrated for its' athletics, the band has been invited to China and performed in the Macy's parade, the speech team has gone to State every year for over a decade and the music program has received an Grammy! What more needs to be said? If you care about and take at least some responsibility for your kids' education, this is the best school in town.

Posted January 9, 2012

Granted there are some kids who don't strive to do as well as others, Green Valley is an AMAZING school. We are lucky enough to keep our Fine Arts Programs because our principal, Mr. Horn, does everything he can to keep them. Being a Gator we are so into our school that I wouldn't be if we would bleed blue and green. I seriously doubt you would find a better school especially in Las Vegas and this is coming from an actual student. Green Valley isn't just a school, its a family. We all get along and have no problems. This school is the best you'll get, I mean come on, we even got a Grammy Award.

Posted December 4, 2011

Green Valley High School was a fine school in its day. Still a pretty good school. Very, very crowded now though. Teachers, with a few exceptions, are above par. Staff, with a few exceptions, are very good. Didn't suit our child. Chose to withdraw.

Posted May 25, 2010

My daughter has attended GVHS from 9-12 and has received a pretty good education. There's times she's had difficulties, but most teachers have gone the extra effort to help her, and she's now graduating with high honors. It's taken a lot of effort. She's had more difficulty getting through her honors classes than her friends who had a better head start in middle school. Lots of kids there have no motivation, but its offset by others who strive for the military academies, an IVY league schools. There are very talented people, both students and teachers, at this school, and my child has an excellent well-rounded background because of it. They've had a lot of opportunities there other schools don't have. CONS: The principal will tell you what you want to hear; lacks the motivation for change unless there's a direct benefit to him. don't like him, but like most teachers there.

Posted March 10, 2009

Green Valley is a great school. It has great teachers and students

Posted February 5, 2009

Green Valley High School is summed up in its motto: Commitment to Excellence. In academics, in athletics, in arts, and in the activities, program after program strives to be the best in town. Standout programs are the forensics team (9 state titles in the last 12 years), the band, choir, and orchestra programs (all perform at a high level with committed experienced directors), and many of the athletic teams. It is the only regular public high school that offers the International Baccalaureate program. This year, it had more Presidential Scholar nominees than any school in Nevada.

Posted January 29, 2009

Green Valley High School is a superb school! I had a daughter graduate in 2004 and my youngest daughter will be graduating this year. This school has completely prepared them for entrance into any college or university. The AP and IB programs are top notch! The extracurricular programs are excellent and help the students to stay focused on keeping their grades up and excelling in school. No wonder GVHS is ranked consistently as one of the top schools in the nation. My daughters excelled at GVHS in academics and extracurricular activities. I know I made the right choice when I decided to move near GVHS so my daughters could get the very best education the Vegas valley has to offer!

Posted January 28, 2009

This is a great school with extremely nice teachers, but its extracurriculars left me ashamed. Their sports system made me embarrassed about how they almost cheated in some ways.Luckily, my son has graduated, and now my daughter is zoned for silverado.

Posted August 30, 2008

I am so impressed with every aspect of GVHS. My son is plugged in to athletics, music, clubs and honor roll and is thriving in every area. Thank you Mr. Horn and staff for holding our children to a higher standard!

Posted August 24, 2008

I love this school. The teachers are great as well as the programs. wonderfull students. I've never been part of a better school.

Posted November 5, 2007

I graduated from Green Valley in 2003 and could not be more impressed with the quality of education I received there. The teachers were excellent and very attentive to student's needs. The AP and IB classes are second to none. I feel that many of the classes I took at Green Valley were more challenging than some of the courses I took at my well ranked undergraduate university. Similarly, my fellow classmates at Green Valley still stand out as being some of the most intelligent and conscientious students I have ever met (even compared with other students at my undergrad). I am now in my first year at a top-ten ranked PhD program and I feel that I would not be here if it weren't for the solid education I received at Green Valley.

Posted September 27, 2007

It is a really great school! GVHS is great in sports, education and our fine arts department even won a grammy!

Posted March 28, 2007

I have both kids going to Green Valley High School and they are both Honor students. They are experiencing a music department that is second to none. The principal is virtually at every event going on and knows so many of the kids one on one. I feel comfortable at the monthly Parent Action Committee meetings to voice any and all concerns on my mind. Parent concerns are always given full attention by the faculty. I often challenge my friends with kids going to expensive private schools to compare that with the quality education my kids experience at Green Valley High School and in many areas my kids seem better educated and more prepared to excel in life.

Posted August 9, 2006

Green Valley High School is excellent. The level of education in some ways rivals college level. The Community College on campus and career resources give students a real edge for the future. School clubs and resources also enhance the experience.

Posted January 28, 2006

I graduated from GVHS in 2003 when Principal Sabo was still there. I am a junior in college now and DAILY I remain thankful for my education at Green Valley. The superb staff, enthusiastic and knowledgeable teachers, and the amazing programs (the music department - especially the first rate orchestra), prepared me so well for college. I would recommend this school to anyone seeking a well-rounded education. I would like to add that had I not the opportunity to study under Mr. Petersen and Ms. Smith as a senior, I would have never been inspired to choose a political science major with a minor in English. Kudos to you!

Posted September 23, 2005

This school is a student's dream come true for a high school experience. So far, the teachers have been caring, enthusiastic, and very qualified in their areas of teaching. Our daughter has hopes of fulfilling a career in medicine, and I believe that Green Valley High School will only make this dream more possible for her, with the outstanding classes and extracurricular activities. Keep up the great work Gators! Dr. and Mrs. Osama Haikal

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

691 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2013.

690 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

693 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2013.

671 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the High School Proficiency Examination (HSPE) to assess high school students in reading, writing, math and science. The HSPE is a high school graduation requirement. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Students without disabilities91%
Proficient in English90%
Not migrant88%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 33%N/A54%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Fax number
  • (702) 799-0717

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Internet access
  • Library
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Sports

Music
  • Choir / Chorus
  • Orchestra
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

460 Arroyo Grande Blvd