No rating

Lake Mead Christian Academy

Private | PK-12 | 580 students

LMCA exists to make disciples of Jesus Christ through education and community

Living in Henderson

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $102,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $920.

Posted May 15, 2013

I am a teacher at LMCA. There are lots of great things I could say about our school, but I'd like to focus on our relationship with our families. We promote community building among our staff and parents, and while we may not have perfected it yet, we are building strong relationships. In March my brother had a stroke, and not expected to live. The parents in my classroom rallied around and purchased an airline ticket for me to go spend time with my brother! We have become a family, we share in each others heartaches and blessings. Building strong community is the tie that binds us! I love knowing that families from my class feel the freedom to come to me with a need, a praise, or prayer request. These type of relationships make it easy for families to continue at LMCA. Everyone wants to feel loved, and every parent wants to know their child is loved! This is a portion of life at LMCA! Are we a perfect school? Of course not! And we are not perfect people! But we do strive to be our best for The Lord Jesus Christ! Come check us out!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 28, 2013

My Daughter has been enrolled @ LMCA since she was 4 yrs old. She will enter into 4th grade for the 2013/2014 school year. The staff is phenominal! There is much love and encouragement by all who work and attend the school! The Holiday Breaks / Summer Program is also something we look forward to. There is a great vision for the new High School Building. Its good to see a school that continues to re-give funds to itself for continued growth.

Posted April 11, 2013

I am going to maybe going to lmca... Is it safe? What kind if sports do they have? What is there teaching style? What classes can I take? I am going into the 8th grade I would appreciate a respon thank you.

Posted March 8, 2013

LMCA is a hidden gem in the Henderson Valley. There are so many wonderful things about the school that make it unique. I read a few of the negative posts on this site and the facts are not correct. One of the things our family loves most about LMCA is that it accepts kids that are not Christians. They are there to minister to ALL kids and of ALL ages. Is it a perfect school? No, but it is an amazing school!!! The Alumni go off to college and after graduation they return to teach and serve in the ministry they love. I suggest you go to LMCA for a tour and make your own opinion about the school. See it in action, meet the wonderful staff, teachers and even observe the students. This school is not about the money, yes there are cost and expenses that every private school has but the staff is there to serve God. My kids never stepped foot in public school, I have seen parents who made the decision to let there kids go to public school but I have also seen them come back per their child's request. It is far from a "typical school", both of my kids are in college and doing extremely well and were very prepared for college. They also prepared them to defend their faith in the world.

Posted March 6, 2013

As a parent, I could not be more happy with the school. The results show. Their students go on to college, complete, and do well. They educate the whole child- academically, emotionally, spiritually, and socially. Their worldview and missional training is incredible and the alumni speak of those experiences and classes often and with high praise. They don't compromise at all. They know that Christians can have a fabulously strong education and be solid in their faith at the same time.

Posted March 6, 2013

The school is more about your money more than teaching. They like to try and squeeze as much money out of you as they can. As far as the education, it is nothing to rave over. Many teachers are not qualified to teach and don't have degrees (I have seen students graduate, only to come back and teach the very next year). For elementary school, the education is fine. For everything higher, you are better off going to public school. As with the students, it is just a typical school that just happens to have the extra Bible class. Many parents put their kids in the school thinking that it is a better school with better parents. But when many parents do that, well, you have a lot of non Christians there, and guess what, makes it all the same as a public school, except hoping that the extra Bible class will somehow change them. Really, it isn't better than anything you would get at a public school. In the end, you are better off attending another school.

Posted March 4, 2013

LMCA is the best place to send my child. From the Admin Staff, the teahers to the parents, it is a loving, family atmosphere. LMCA is a blessing to our family and a wonderful environment for a child to blossom in a safe, bully free atmosphere. The kids all love each other and the willingness to help, comfort and guide is amazing!

Posted March 3, 2013

My daughters are currently in their second year of elementary school at LMCA. I couldn't ask for a more supportive environment for my children. We switched to LMCA after having tried our best with the local public school and finally left after my frustration with an apathetic principal, less than challenging curriculum, and insane class sizes. LMCA offers a challenging curriculum. You aren't getting the high powered curriculum you would get at some other private schools, but unless you want to pay 3 times the price, you can't beat it. It is definitely more challenging than public school curriculum. The small class sizes, a school community with similar values regarding education, and wonderful teachers make LMCA a jewel. The only reason I did not give a 5 star rating is due to the fact that I feel more hands-on learning, and less worksheets, could be used. I do see more inventive instruction being implemented at this time so I am hoping this trend continues. We aren't an overly religious family but LMCA was a good fit for us. A caring staff, dedicated faculty, a quality education, and an involved school community makes LMCA a wonderful decision for any family.

Posted March 3, 2013

This was our first year at LMCA, and my son, 7th grade, loved it! The teachers are kind, well educated, and the academic program is outstanding. The sports program is awesome! The administrative staff is wonderful! The kids just returned from a week long missions trip. I can't say enough good things about this school. My son previously attended another private Christian school in Henderson and I only wish we would have made the change to LMCA earlier! You will not be disappointed with LMCA, check it out. Your child can shadow another student for a day, which is an awesome opportunity for them to see what the school is really like.

Posted March 2, 2013

This is year six for my daughter and our son is in his fourth year. Some complain of the cost, trust me for a private education in a state that ranks at the bottom, the cost is minimal. Lake Mead serves us well with a balance of Christian teaching and mentoring, with scholastic studies in a smaller manageable classroom sizes. Not every private school will be able to meet every parents personal needs or desires. You need to be realistic and also visit other private schools, compare and find the right fit for your family. The student dress code is appropriate, the cheerleaders uniform length SHOULD be longer (it's currently the same as public schools). I find the teachers to be attentive, well educated, caring and in complete control of their classrooms upon numerous unannounced classroom visits. Parent involvement is surprisingly strong. Go inspect the condition of the school's buildings, meet with the staff, review the student study programs. Obtain documentation, get all the answers to any of your concerns. Do your own research, and investigation, listen to your head and your heart, then make your choice.

Posted February 25, 2013

Reading the previous review, I am saddened. The middle school at LMCA is way ahead of the rest. From the college prep English classes, to the science and the history, not to mention their BIble classes... you could not ask for a better place for a middle school student. Middle school students are going through so much change and LMCA is a great place for them to be placed. It provides an environment where the proper tools are taught and given for these students to make the right decisions that will affect their lives forever. The entire middle school is on missions trips this week, teaching valuable lessons on top of academics on how to make a positive difference in this world!! I highly recommend LMCA for any middle school parent.

Posted February 21, 2013

This is my child's second year at LMCA and I think it will be the last. I don't feel like he is getting a private school education. The teacher's are not highly qualified and they rarely teach the same subject year to year. Speaking with other parents, they are happy in the younger grades but not so much with middle school. I feel like he can get just as good of education in a public school.

Posted February 20, 2013

I have three children at LMCA and I could not ask for a better community to put them in. Their teachers are supportive and kind. I am impressed everyday with the new things my children tell me they learned at school. My oldest is in 1st grade and in just this year she went from a first grade reading level to a third grade reading level. They offer many enrichment classes ranging from music lessons to PE. I would wholeheartedly recommend this school for the whole family.

Posted February 20, 2013

WE LOVE LMCA!!!!! This is our son's 1st year at LMCA for 7th Grade. He had previously attended another private school for 1-6 grade, and we thought it was time for a change. From the 1st interactions with everyone at LMCA we felt like FAMILY. From school Administration, to staff, teachers, other parents, and students - there is a feeling of "belonging" and love there. So glad we made the move - For those "on the fence" about a private christian education, please take a look at LMCA - you will be very pleasantly surprised at what they have to offer, and the love you will receive when you get there!!

Posted February 20, 2013

A very worldly Christian school. They don't set themselves apart much and its very confusing to the students. Some teachers I would have to say are not saved and their attitude and dress confirm it. There is no modesty. Students wear very tight fitting and sometimes really short clothes. Cheerleaders wear the same thing as secular cheerleaders do. Like I said, no modesty. This school isn't biblical enough for my family. Too worldly!

Posted January 3, 2013

My children went to Public School until 5th grade when I switched them to LMCA. I did this primarily because I was so disappointed with the class sizes of our zoned middle school. It was the best decision I ever made. My boys have thrived as students, individuals, and leaders way beyond my expectations. I hear a lot of parents talk about the cost.... My response is what is the cost to you if you fail at educating your children. It was not an option for me. If I have to give up certain things for the years my boys attend LMCA, I will do it without hesitation. It has been a very wise investment for us in our Childre's future. A+ to the administration, A+ to the teachers, and A+ to the students at LMCA

Posted January 14, 2012

This school, I went to I really strongly dislike it, the kids there are very into clicks, and they are really rude and not nice, some of the staff are stuck up and they have had more then 4 principals in 4 years, its ridiculous. there dress code is nothing but a joke, they wanted access into teachers and student's personal, lives what you do at home and school should never mix in my opinion, the school just cares about money and not students, it's god based but how many adults and kids talk about jesus there not very many. it's a terrible school with terrible kids and stuck up staff.

Posted April 1, 2011

Our daughter has been in the school since she was in the nursery. I have felt that she was always loved, cared of and educationally challenged. She is now ready for kindergarden and can already read! I am amazed. Additionally, the spiritual instruction is excellent. She has recieved moral training, biblical training, and appropriate correction (not overly strict or lienient) when necessary. I love this safe and loving preschool. I can't wait to see how she will thrive in lake mead's elementary program.

Posted February 11, 2011

Great school. I have been attending LMCA for over 4 years. I am very proud to call LMCA my school. The teachers are committed to us and love what they do. I have seen them invest in me as a student and care about who I am. My favorite part is the technology. Our school is a 1 to 1 Apple Laptop school.... I JUST LOVE IT!!! All of middle school and high school have laptops 24/7.... I know that when I go off to college I will be ready for what is ahead.

Posted February 11, 2011

This school is great!!!!!! God is working through staff and students daily. People tend to only look at all the bad things about this school but you can look anywhere and see the bad things. Its time to start looking on the brighter side of things. Optimism will lead to a better understanding of the good things of life. LMCA strives to teach from a biblical standard.
—Submitted by a teacher

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 6%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Public
Other Private
Homeschool
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 3% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 90% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 4% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 1% (2013)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 1% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation Azusa Pacific College
Biola University
UNLV
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Technology

• Music
  • Performing arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Music room

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 3:00pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Sue Blakeley
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • technology@lmca.org
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Music
  • Performing arts
  • Religious
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Community Ministry Functions
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom