No rating

GV Christian School

Private | PK-12 | 740 students

Excellent Academic program

Living in Henderson

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $161,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,020.

Posted March 21, 2011

Pre-K was acceptable but going into elementary is just not acceptable. The class sizes are comparable to public schools. The extra-ciricular activities and sports are far worse than public schools. Principle and and office staff need to step down from their self appointed high horse and start putting the interest of the children first. Leaving the school was one of the hardest desicions to make but yes, we learned it does not have to be this way. There are other schools that provide Christian Leadership, Safe Enviornment, & a Quality Education.

Posted January 20, 2011

In the past 2 years it has gone downhill. When My children first started Preschool here we loved it. Toward the end when 1 was still in preschool we notice the decline. Now my children are in Elementary school here. The great teacher that I met prior to registration is no longer here. The classroom sizes are large, over 30. They do have a teacher and an assistant, basically a teacher's aide (student TA in public school equivalent). The Assistant teaches when the teacher is out and they are not qualified. 30 students are well above the public schools ratios. For a private school it is not up to par. The fees are also something to consider when comparing the tuition. They add up and there are a lot. If a Holiday falls on a Thursday you can bet the school will close that Friday too. So if you work plan on taking off and losing money. Chapel for school functions is very overcrowded to the point of not even getting a chair let alone seeing your child perform.

Posted July 2, 2010

My daughter attends the preschool in the infant room and I absolutely love this school! The attention she receives is remarkable and she truly loves going to school. They also teach the kids baby sign language which is awesome. Her teachers are great and they make school fun!

Posted May 26, 2010

My children have been at Green Valley Christian School for the last 8 years and every year they've had a fabulous educational experience. We pay for school through our financial sacrifices and the sacrifices we've made have been well worth it! I truly appreciate the fact that my children receive far more than a remarkable education. The staff genuinely care about the kids and they are always willing to go the extra mile and do whatever it takes to help my children, both academically and spiritually. My husband and I love the fact that the staff take the time to speak into our children's lives, becasue at this age they don't always want to hear what we have to say. Our children are better human beings for having been part of such a tremendous school! I look forward to watching them graduate from High School in a few years.

Posted April 28, 2010

Green Valley Christian school has given my child a wonderful educational foundation. We are just finishing up the kindergarten year and my son is reading well, basic math knowledge is great, handwriting nice and neat etc....the academic flow combined with love that Mrs Ortega gives to her students is awesome and I cant praise her enough though it was a team effort between her,my son and myself :) My interactions with any and all staff has been great. I do not attend their church and have not felt any different reaction from the school regarding that matter. My son is treated with love and respect from ALL the students at the school that I have seen him in contact with. I would refer any friend to their pre-school and kindergarten. If finances allow I plan to keep him there as long as he wants to go.

Posted April 28, 2010

I truly appreciate the school and I don't attend the church. I love that they don't have a tolerence for bullys and don't allow disrespect for teachers or others students. The new directors of the prep school are cool. They allow us to have freedoms that are only taken away when abused. I really like my school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 6, 2010

This school is bad. It has turned into something much worse. They will do anything to get money. They put way to much pressure and work on the students expecting us to be able to complete it all. They have also instituted a block schedule for the prep/high school which really doesnt work. The teachers are overpaid for the work they actually do. The curriculum is not solid. the teachers will pull favorites and frown upon students, reflecting in their grades. Oh and did i mention that if you don't go to their church they will also treat students worse. Upper grades principal changesminds and makes false promises to students and parents. The sports are a joke, clubs are a joke. Prep/high teachers teach multiple subjects and aren't qualified. Save your time, go somewhere else. They will force every bit of their religion on you and your student.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 16, 2009

My children attend GVCP. I used to love the school but it has gone downhill as far as the standards of respect from staff and security of the children in the school. I do feel the Children are better prepared as far as accedemics in this school than others. Also I do not think the teacher student interaction is much if any better than in a public school. Students are on their own at different tables while the teachers accross the room doing their own thing.

Posted August 20, 2009

This is a wonderful school. The focus on academics is awesome and the emphasis on christian values is superb. My grandson is extremely happy with the school. We look forward to continuing him at the school throughout his secondary education.

Posted August 13, 2009

My 2 children have been in the school for over 9 years and they love the staff, teachers and after school activities.

Posted February 25, 2009

Our oldest son started in the Preschool program in 2006 and is now a 1st grader. He loves his teachers and looks forward to school. They have plenty of 'playtime' as well as forming good study habits. In fact, our son when tested in Kindergarten was able to complete 2nd grade level. Not only does our son excel academically, he also learns about the Bible and Jesus, which match our teachings at home. The teachers are amazing. They really care about our son and want him to excel and be the best they can be. Our youngest is in Preschool and loves coming to school too. He is learning shapes, letters and can write his name very well. We are excited that our sons will be able to graduate from high school at GV Christian now that there is a high school program.

Posted April 23, 2007

My child has attended G.V.C.S. since age two. He is now 11 yrs old. For the past 9 yrs he has been exposed not only to a great learning environment and caring teachers who strive for accademic excellence...but has also grown spiritually as class time includes daily spiritual nourturing. As the mother of a special needs child, I am thankful the Lord has led us to G.V.C.S.

Posted March 22, 2007

I have my two daughters in Green Valley Christian Preschool and totally love it. My Youngest who is 2 years old knows all here shapes and colors and is really talking up a storm I believe that Green Valley does an awesome job at teacher my children and keeping things consistent so my child can learn. My 5 year old is in the Pre Kindergarten program at Green Valley and wow I really am impressed with the teachers there nurturing and loving care. My daughter is very prepared to start Kindergarten in the fall. I recommend Green Valley Christian Preschool to all parents. I also love how clean the facility is.

Posted January 9, 2007

I had such high expectations. Unfortunately, they constantly moved teachers from one class to the next, and we never knew which class they were going to be in from day to day. I had wanted a value oriented education, preferably at place where she could continue on through her future education, I just couldn't take the instability. Children need that stability. It was also very pricey for what we got.

Posted September 19, 2006

My daughter has attended GVCPreschool for the past four years and it has been a blessing for our family. The infant center is second to none. The caregivers were truly an expansion of our family. It has been amazing to see her academic and spiritual progress. My child has been challenged through each step of her development. Expectations are high but that is what keeps the children challenged.

Posted September 19, 2006

I have been teaching for 10 years and I love teaching at this school. I have worked at other schools and they do not come close to gvcc. I love mixing religion and education I would tell anyone to work or even bring their child here.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 4, 2006

We switched our three children from public school and preschool two years ago and couldn't be happier. My oldest son was in second grade with flopping grades and his third grade last year he made honor roll at GVCS with a much tougher curriculum. All my children are excited about going to school every day and always have some interesting stories to tell at the end of each one. They participated in Chess club, Science Club & Spanish Club and cannot wait to sign up for clubs again this year. The only thing I believe the school needs to improve on is weekly music and language classes & an auditorium with a stronger athletic program. With great news we are getting an athletic field & auditorium. Hopefully Music & Language are next.

Posted August 1, 2004

My 2 children attended their first year at GVCS 2003-2004 and both did well, honor roll. The teachers were supportive, helpful and always willing to take time to inform you of issues. Yes we lost a great principal, but very excited about our new one, who has great ideas! The homework is challenging, needed and yes the science projects are difficult for the child and the parent, wow! I thank God for this school and pray for a cafeteria soon!

Posted July 26, 2004

This will be my childs 3rd year at GVCS. He loves it, I love it. Unfortunately I'm not a Sunday Church goer, so it gives my child an opportunity to learn about God as well as a great education. (a few too many 'off' days, putting parents in a bind and that Science Fair Project.......woes me). :-) I was sorry see Mrs. Marchello go - I'm a bit concerned what the new year will bring with the new principal. Hopefully it will be a fun year!!

Posted July 24, 2004

My son has attended this school since pre-k and is now entering 3rd grade. Overall, I am satisfied with the quality of education he receives. I am concerned though whether 'sheltering' him, so to speak, will benefit him in the future when he enters the 'real' world. The rooms have a teacher as well as a teacher's asst. so I feel they may be coddled a bit too much. I love administration and all the teachers, and I love the Christian beliefs they teach and practice. I don't know how long my child(ren) will attend this school, but so far I am quite satisfied.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 6%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Security personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:20 am
School end time
  • 3:45 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Ms. D. Ingalls, K-5; Ms. S. Smith 6-12
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Advanced placement courses
  • College prep
  • Honors track
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Chapel/spiritual reflection center
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Grand Canyon University

• Improv
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Television/Radio News
  • Yearbook

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Tutor