Elise L. Wolff Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 850 students

We are best known for exceptional test scores.

Posted May 31, 2014

My son came to Wolff in 5th grade from Europe and I was thrilled with the attention he received from his teachers. They immediately recognized his strengths and weaknesses, and were absolutely wonderful to him as he was very nervous going to an American school for the first time especially as he has a slight accent. Ms. Olson, Javers, Bernick and Christenson...thank you! Parking lot is indeed a nightmare but I dropped mine off and picked him up across the street so had no problems. I would not recognize the principal if I ran her over in a car but to be honest I never needed to speak to her so did not matter to me. Very strong PTA. Great school.

Posted May 14, 2014

We recently moved into the school from another state. PROS: School seems to be a good educational avenue, as far as NV schools go. The teachers are real helpful so far. CONS: The pick up afterschool is the WORST I have seen in many schools we have dealt with. Only about 50 parking spots and about 100 or more cars, they give you a 2 minute retrieval time, where you have to go into the gates to claim your child and then get out. If you miss this window, as there is not enough parking, then the kids get sent inside to office. There is a lane to try and pick up, but with all the cars parked in the way, it makes for a nasty snarl of cars moving, parked and parents/kids trying to get to vehicles. Then everyone tries to leave at once, even worse! Cars on streets getting police tickets, kids running all over(who are walkers) makes for mass chaos!! I am surprised no child has been harmed yet (not that I know of) Someone needs to address this schools way of getting kids in and out before disaster happens!!

Posted May 8, 2014

The involvement of all teachers and other staff, including the school principal is excellent. Although many complain about the parking at this school, it's only because many do not take advantage of the available parking areas, or because they are not aware of them. I have had no problems with parking and getting out of the school at all. The teachers, including the PE teachers are excellent and really get involved in the students academic progress. Although I would like to see more parents involved, there are many who do get involved in all activities and do a great job. My daughter is in the GATE program which is an excellent program offered by this school. She loves it and will continue for the 2014-2015 school year. Looking forward to 2014-2015 school year with excitement and continued involvement.

Posted May 1, 2014

Parking lot is a zoo. Teachers are okay. Classrooms are overcrowded. Principal is extremely concerned about school rating. I would still prefer my daughter in this school than some other surrounding schools.I hope there is a zero tolerance for bullying. I have not heard anything from my child, but if there are issues I hope the school is addressing them with proper consequences.

Posted April 30, 2014

Not crazy about my son's teacher and the fact that the school doesn't seem to take bullying at the early grade levels too seriously. Worst part is parking for all these parents. Police often harassing people up Spenser/seven hills for parking yet there is NO WHERE ELSE TO PARK. Makes for stressful transportation. They need much better parking availability. Lots of opportunity to get parents involved on the up side.

Posted January 15, 2014

The principal at this school does not want to deal with children who have learning, attention, or behavioral issues. She does not want them "pulling down her test scores". For the first half of my sons kindergarten year they did not even have a Resource teacher. Great school if you kids have no issues and can be academically challenged. I your kid has ADHD or any other related issues, run.

Posted January 8, 2014

The Teachers are great , other than early attendance parking problems , school policy BS , I Do have to admitt that the Teacher's are very attentive and absolutely the best , Ms. Phillips was the best K-teacher , now 1st grade my son LOVE'"S Ms. Leine , , I consider myself very Lucky to have Ms. Liene's as my boy's teacher ,

Posted January 7, 2014

I think its ridiculous how early they expect the kids to be at school 8am . That means they have to be up before the sun comes up and be fed , brush teeth back packs and traffic to make that time . Every other Elementary starts at 9am or later . Why is It this way this would be a major complain besides the ridiculous parking issues

Posted June 10, 2013

My son attended Wolfe for 1st grade and loved his teacher Mrs Gonsalves. She kept us informed with newsletters. Anytime I wrote a letter to her, which was often, she always replied back to me the same day. Whenever my son struggled with any concepts, Mrs Gonsalves would provide me helpful hints to help him with homework and would try different teaching techniques to help him understand. Overall, Wolfe is a great school.

Posted March 31, 2013

Have to agree with prior comments about parking and Principal Harbin. If you dont arrive at least 30 minutes early you will not find a parking space that your allowed to park in. However, the "parking attendents" which are parents do save a few reserved spaces for their friends. This is where they place cones and tell us other parents they are for the "SafeKey employees". Meanwhile around 2:05 you will see they allow their friends to park there to pick up their children at 2:11. Over the past 6 years Principal Harbin has failed to show any leadership qualities or try to solve the parking lot issues. Last year a child was hit in the parking lot and numerous staff, administration, teachers and HARBIN park in the front parking lot which takes spaces away from parents. Meanwhile the school employees have private parking on the side and rear of the school. So many teachers are in agreement that they wish they had another principal or they could be transerred to another school. We are very pleased that after 6 years our daughter will be going to middle school in the fall. We hope the next 2 months go by quickly.

Posted March 23, 2013

We moved from Australia in January and I had no idea what school to send my daughter to. After numerous phone calls to different schools, reading reviews and people recommendations we enrolled our daughter at Elise L Wolff Elementary. I have been extremely happy with the school. My daughters teachers are wonderful they have been a great help in the transition process. The office staff are lovely and the support teachers have been extremely helpful. I would defiantly recommend this school..

Posted March 20, 2013

I have never seen so much chaus in my life with the parking issue! There is NEVER anywhere to park, I was told you can't park along the firelane low and behold some people can so Im going to adress that with a video and show the principal myself. I was told you Can't park on the hill (it's reserved) And then at 211 the fun begins you have to find your kid out of the 550 other students! Theres never anywhere to park! unless you get ther 1 hour early and get ran out of your spot two or three times. They really need to fix this problem maybe with school buses I mean you cant go to this school unless you live in seven hills so why cant a but drop the kids off at the gates? I simply dread picking up my kids from this school and dealing with getting in and out of the parking lot!

Posted March 15, 2013

I taught at Wolff eleven years ago. I went to another school to become the Art Specialist. Now I am retired and I substitute teach at Wolff often. I was so happy to see several of the teachers I knew were still there. They seem happy enough to stay at Wolff. I find the teachers in every grade to be enthusiastic, organized and encouraging to students. It is now required by CCSD that all teachers in every grade in every school follow what is called " Curriculum Enginge". This outlines what every teacher in the district should teach for their grade level. Teachers are no longer the "soul resource" of the curriculum planning and in many ways that is a good thing because teaching is consistent throughout the district. Any student who transfers from one school to another can just pick up where the last one left off. One thing I noticed when I taught there is that many of the parents who lived in Seven Hills seemed to think they could make demands and use their status to influence the decisions that are made. Mrs. Harbin does not bend to anyone because of "who they are" nor does she change things because of pressure from the outside. I find her to be very fair and objective.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 9, 2012

I was astonished when I received a reply from Ms. Harbin, Principal of Elise Wolff, to fill out a parent survey the district provides about a complaint I had with the school. She could care less about legitimate concerns of her students and parents. And, I NEVER see her at school functions or addressing the horrendous parking during drop off and pick up. She needs to make a presence (and, if you ask other parents..they will say the same thing..no one knows who she is). Luckily, my kids have had some fabulous teachers!

Posted October 28, 2012

Two stars because half the teachers don't want to be there, and it's obvious. No enthusiasm from most to do anything more than the bare minimum. There is no respect or leadership from administration. The parents are made to feel like outsiders, unless you are lucky enough to have the time to get involved with PTA.

Posted August 24, 2011

To clarify, I meant an entire single class of differentiated instruction, not the small groups that the schools do use. Every class has reading groups, math levels, etc.... just not an entire classroom of ONLY high children. I think that's what the angry parent was grousing about.

Posted August 24, 2011

I'm a parent and I'd like to address the turnover comment. Teachers are mostly young women, they get married, follow their husbands jobs, have kids and become sah moms, move on to middle school teaching, etc... If a teacher stays within the district or within the profession, I don't see how you can call that high teacher turnover. I'd like to see how many people in the private sector are still working 10 years in the same place/position. And regarding differentiated instruction, CCSD public elementary schools don't do that. It's against the law. They have GATE beginning in 3rd grade and magnet schools. It's just the way things are. Maybe not the best, but the way it is. I find it hard to believe that other schools are allowed to remove all their best and brightest and put them in a super brainy class, leaving the other classes with only low preforming children, trouble makers and the rest. Those bright kids are needed as peer models. Maybe your child is a genius, some kids are just not challenged by public school. But that doesn't mean the school is bad.

Posted August 23, 2011

Wolff is the WORST school any of our three children has ever had to attend. It is the only Del Webb feeder school that does not differentiate instruction. There are no levels at Wolff, every child learns the same curriculum regardless of ability level. Our efforts to have our daughter challenged fell on deaf ears, the teacher recommended we pay for outside tutoring. The principal took weeks to return phone calls and refused to change anything. The PTA is strong, but does not seem to take an academic interest in the students. I don't know how Wolff received a ten.

Posted June 20, 2011

Since 2001 I've had a child at Wolff. The main thing that has bothered me about Wolff is the turnover rate of teachers. There has only been two principles at Wolff since it started in 2000. I have not liked either Principle at Wolff. Ms. Harbin is not a very good leader and is not very motivated to improve the school. The teachers are not supported by her and in turn they leave to go to schools with better administration. When I looked over the yearbook of my Kindergarten child of 2001, I was amazed at how few teachers are still at the school in 2011. In ten years it's almost a new staff. The school enrollment is way over capacity so the entire 5th grade is in portables. The teachers are overwhelmed with the class size, a ratio of 34 students to 1 teacher for fifth grade.

Posted May 31, 2011

Relocated to Henderson from the East Coast, so I was very concerned about the quality (or, lack thereof) of education here in Nevada. We chose to live in Seven Hills solely based on the Great Schools rating Wolff received. We are thrilled that we did! Mrs. Ellena (Kindergarten) is a kind, patient, organized, and loving teacher... despite the number of children she has in each of her AM/PM class (high number of K students!). Parent involvement is not only graciously accepted and appreciated, but encouraged. It is extremely rewarding and a privilege to assist. There's no better way to be in the know of your children's behavior at school than by volunteering. It's been wonderful getting to know all of the children in our daughter's class. Wolff is a great fit for our family!

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2013.

162 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

162 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the Criterion Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The CRT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

161 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

161 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 61% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 44% in 2011.

168 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students89%

Full price90%
Proficient in English85%
Not migrant84%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students85%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 19%N/A54%

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) 8 consecutive years (2010)
  • AYP (2009)

• Access to sports fields

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Deborah Harbin
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Is there an application process?
Fax number