Coronado High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 8 students

Posted Wednesday, August 27, 2014

I've always heard great things about Coronado. Before transferring I heard they were number one in the valley. Coronado supposedly had great teachers, a lot of school spirit, awesome programs, and barely any student conflict. When the school year started I quickly realized how inaccurate everyone was. This school has way too many students, therefore the teaching isn't the best nor the programs. I also quickly realized how arrogant the teachers and the students are. Majority of the people at this school are not welcoming at all and act like they're superior to everyone else. This school does have a ton of school spirit, but that's about it. The school overall is a pretty average school in everything else, even though everyone at Coronado is convinced they're the best. Personally, I recommend sending your child to attend a school in the Summerlin area. Bishop Gorman Roman Catholic School, Faith Lutheran Christian School or either Palo Verde would be better a choice in my opinion. The area is just as nice and I personally think the people at these Summerlin schools are way more likable/nicer than the staff/students at Coronado.

Posted August 23, 2014

The counseling is mediocre, and the teaching is not so good either, due to the large number of students.

Posted August 2, 2014

This is the Best public High School in the Henderson area. You will be glad and happy you did right choice sending your kids to this school. Those who give low rating are still sending their kids to this school. So use your judgement and make a wise decision sending your loved one to this awesome school.

Posted June 28, 2014

High school with the highest drug use in the Las Vegas valley....reading the other reviews I was shocked that this wasn't mentioned. Then I noticed that the school reviews the posts....Get honest Coronado, let parents know what they're about to encounter.

Posted May 10, 2014

My son attended Coronado beginning his sophmore yr. I read lots of wonderful reviews about this school, the staff &students. My son worked hard to be on the honor roll. During the beginning of his junior year, he was placed in the wrong classes. I thought the counselors & teachers new best but, he had AP classes instead of honor classes, senior government class, math and science classes that required prerequisites that he had not taken. The 1st two weeks were no problem. After the 3rd week, I noticed a dropped in grades, more importantly a drop in attitude. He was always a happy go lucky individual, but then I noticed a child who carried the weight of the world on his shoulder. When I called at the beginning of the 4th week, the VP told me he wouldn't change his classes & would change them in January. "If he fails, oh well. I can't do anything about it." I have met more parents who have pulled their children out of this school than any other in the valley. I would never recommend this school. My son ended up losing his scholarships and graduating a semester late because of the incompetence of several individuals. Ask around. Is this what you want for your child?

Posted August 2, 2013

I graduated from this high school in 2009. Several of my friends have siblings currently attending. It seems to have remained about the same as when I went there. It is considered a top school in the Las Vegas valley. It's got a good variety of after school activities, sports, spirit days, and academics. Students were very nice to everyone. Very few bullies. I can think of two fights in four years. One involved a flip flop flying across the courtyard. The other a bit nastier, but nothing crazy. Doors that were supposed to be locked, always were. Very safe school. Lots of AP courses, no IB. Academics were generally pretty strong at Coronado. I can think of quite a few people who went to schools such as NYU, Brown, Northwestern, Yale, and UC Berkeley. But it's also really easy to slip through Coronado in basic classes. This is a rich school, but everyone was really chill about it. Some activities have a few Cali/Arizona trips. About $1000/year for 6 or 7 trips? I think some sports got it for free. Band & Colorguard didn't. Debate didn't. Oh... the football team was terrible... I'm pretty sure it is still terrible. Overall a very, very good school.

Posted June 11, 2013

I have a Freshman daughter that attended Coronado High school, I was disappointed with the inability or possibilities for parent involvement.

Posted June 9, 2013

I honestly cannot give this school more than 3 stars because I have no idea what goes on at this school. Since moving to Nevada I have never felt connected to either Bob Miller or Coronado High School. That doesn't mean they aren't good schools just that there isn't much opportunity for parent involvement and there aren't any parent conferences unless you have a problem child. I just felt like I was the one who always had to send emails to my daughters teachers because they made very little effort to get to know her or me. I felt like she was just a number; a face lost in the overcrowded school.

Posted May 1, 2013

Coronado is the best school ever! I can't imagine going somewhere else, oh wait... I moved.

Posted October 2, 2012

High Marks for this school. Every aspect is outstanding, not perfect, but outstanding. Wish there were more schools like Coronado.

Posted August 20, 2012

Think this school is awsome for my two babygirls! They both have learned so much.

Posted June 7, 2012

We are newly relocated to the area and have nothing but great things to say. We started communicating in February and completed the move at the end of the school year. The administration did a wonderful job in welcoming us to the area and showing us the great stuff they do. As we were completeing our move, they had tryouts and placements going on for next year. Not only did they ensure that the kids got into the tryouts but one of them had his equipment packed away. No problem, substitute equipment was provided. We have high hopes for the school and look forward to being involved with the community.

Posted April 28, 2012

Every young girl wants to be a cheerleader.. unfortunately even if your child is a highly skilled dancer and has trained for many years, but you don't know the coaches or the politics or start sucking up early.. don't even try to get on this high schools below average squad. Your daughter will only be hurt and depressed after learning her fate. Oh and don't let her be anything but white, that's a Definate waste of time to even think about trying.. great way to build enthusiasm to incoming freshman

Posted March 20, 2012

Honestly, Coronado High School needs to step up. They need to do something about their bullying problem because it hasn't changed. I'm not going to use any names, but I am the sister of a student who is being bullied. There have been many reports and complaints over the months about this issue and the school hasn't bothered to do anything about it. My mother went to the school to find out that the reason the school hasn't done anything about the issue is because they thought it stopped. If you don't stay informed with the students and people involved in bullying, how can you know that it really stopped? They always try to do something after its already too late and someone has been hurt. Coronado High School is not on my good list right now and I will continue to send in complaints for the sake of their students.

Posted February 23, 2011

If you're new to the area, CCSD is one of the worst school districts in the country. Having said that, Coronado is the "BEST of the worst" overall. They stress high achievement in all areas. They have some really wonderful teachers who do their best to help their students succeed. Warning, though! They have an AWFUL math program. If your child wishes to advance and seeks a degree or profession in/related to the mathematics arena - stay away from this school. The local middle school teachers warn their 8th grade students who will be attending Coronado about the terrible math program and which Coronado teachers to avoid at all costs. It's a shame because the school is really great and the principal seems to take pride in his school. I just wish he would take more pride in the math program and recruit some top-notch teachers so that us parents - some with award winning and math honor students - wouldn't have to pay a math tutor to teach our children what they should be learning in the classroom at Coronado.

Posted July 4, 2010

I moved to this area because I heard it was safe and was a newer school, so I thought it was a wise choice to send my son here his freshman year. I have to say I am dissapointed with the faculty and counslers. My sons struggled in his english & math classes and when I contacted the counsler and set up a meeting with his teachers, the first part of the meeting was the counsler grilling him if he was on drugs. Then the teachers said he didn't fool around in class, that basically he was just a wallflower and they never really even noticed him in class. He was there, they marked him present. How about some encouragement and trying to get him involved? They told me I should be monitoring his work on Parent Link. I was. They don't update it until days later after they moved on

Posted July 28, 2009

Coronado Staff does a great job. The AP program is top-notch. Students from Coronado get into top tier universities year after year---with scholarships.

Posted June 21, 2009

I love CHS i couldn't imagine going anywhere elts for school!

Posted February 10, 2009

My daughter is in her sophomore year at Coronado High School this year (2008-2009). I have been pleased with the overall education she has received. Within every school in America there are great teachers, good teachers and mediocre teachers, and Coronado is no exception. Mrs. Larsen, Mrs. Huffman, Mr. Moyes are raved about by my daughter. Mrs. Larsen teaches English and Creative Writing, Mrs. Huffman is the Forensics (Debate/Speech) Advisor, and Mr. Moyes brings History to life. I am grateful for these outstanding educators. The Principal is warm and friendly, the Office staff is knowledgable and the environment is safe. If I had one complaint it is that the school is in too fluent an area. Some students and parents would benefit with a reality check.

Posted October 21, 2008

In this school there is too much stress. Teachers talk to you like if you don't get an A in their class then you will not get into college. The teachers don't know how to teach. They give you a new thing and expect you to do it. Then the next 5 minutes they give you a test. I do believe that this is a good school, however, the teachers schould be crrected.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

684 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2013.

682 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

682 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2013.

679 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the High School Proficiency Examination (HSPE) to assess high school students in reading, writing, math and science. The HSPE is a high school graduation requirement. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Full price93%
Students with disabilities (IEP)42%
Proficient in English93%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 16%N/A54%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Performing and written arts
  • Drama

Fax number
  • (702) 799-6839

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1001 Coronado Center Dr