Henderson, NV

Posted April 02, 2014
MY SON HAS BEEN GOING TO THIS SCHOOL FOR 4 YRS NOW AND I WOULD NOT CHOOSE ANOTHER SCHOOL FOR HISM. MY OTHER SON WILL BE STARTING THIS YEAR AND I CANT WAIT TO SEE HOW MUCH HE LEARNS! THE TEACHERS AT THIS SCHOOL ARE AMAZING AND HAVE SO MUCH RESPECT FOR THERE STUDENTS.

Marlan J. Walker Elementary School 3

Posted January 14, 2014
Walker seemed to be a great choice for our son. We were excited about the Spanish program and the fact that he would have full days as a kindergartener. However there are downsides to the Spanish program. The children are only spoken to in Spanish for that portion of the day. Our experience as a first grader has been frustrating at best. The spanish only has become a hinderance. Math is taught in Spanish and the kids have fallen behind. This is my oldest child, so it is our first public school experience. Before choosing Walker I suugest weighing heavily how your child will respond in this learning environment. Looking at overall test scores and numbers on paper and learning a second language can be great selling points. However, I feel at this point (half way thru 1st grade)it is hindering him. He reads very few Spanish words and counts to 40. My point is that it's not ideal for every child.

Posted August 24, 2013
I absolutely love this school! 2 of my children have attended and my youngest will be going next year. I love that my children are learning spanish and feel like it helps further their education. There is nothing more amazing than hearing your child converse with someone that speaks another language. We have even used our son to translate things for us! The teachers and staff are amazing and I would highly recommend Walker to anyone!

Posted August 14, 2013
This school is amazing. I was worried about the Spanish component but my daughter has thrived in this environment. The teachers care so much about the kids and the kids love their school.

Posted August 11, 2013
We are entering grade 3 and my son is excited for another school year. I read the reviews from about 4-5 yrs ago and think the students/parents suffered growing pains from the school changing into the Spanish program. We love it. We are not Hispanic and my son excels in the program. It is a joy to see his language grow and I know it will only benefit him for his future endeavors. I was hesitant at first, but now love the program, staff and administration. I agree that the emphasis on Spanish program limits the child to be pushed in other areas, so we get involved as parents and push at home. We continuously read and practice comprehension. We visit museums and discuss science/art. We explore dinosaurs and the planets. We do the best we can and I think my son will be just fine. You must be open to introduce a new language into your house, this is an optional school and I wouldn't change a thing. Thank you Dr. Walker for your fantastic school.

Marlan J. Walker Elementary School 4

Posted May 16, 2012
My daughter has attended this school since kindergarten and I have not had any bad experiences there. I think a lot of the issues have to do with the child. My daughter loves the school and the spanish program.

Posted June 20, 2011
My son went here for kindergarten, he was treated excellent and managed the curriculum well. he is now at a school ranked 8 and is bored and not doing as well. This school is not for everyone, mostly not for children who are not top notch, Sorry, but the truth hurts.

Marlan J. Walker Elementary School 1

Posted April 08, 2011
AYP!!! This school is a big ball of stress. With all of the cuts looming over everyone stress is expected. Leadership is needed to pull this school out of the sink hole it s headed for. Dual language is a great idea, much needed in this day and age. BUT, if the program is not executed to its full potential why force it? My daughter went from A s and B s in the first trimester to C s and D s this past trimester. I ve paid $40 an hour for her to be tutored by Walker teachers. Now she has a private tutor at 3 times the cost, just to get her at grade level. During prep for CRT she was given a reading tutor, once the CRT testing was complete so was the extra reading help. I m extremely disappointed in this school, and myself, I should ve done some about it before now

Marlan J. Walker Elementary School 1

Posted March 23, 2011
DO NOT allow your child to fall behind in this joke of a school! My child went from almost all A's to C's and possibly failing!! Staff is rude and horrible to children and parents alike, there is no safety or security on campus, and the 'Spanish" program is "not really for them to learn spanish???" - or so I was told by the Spanish teacher when I asked why my child still didnt speak ANY! I wrote to CCSD twice now and their solution is to have my child transfer (which we are doing immed.) - instead of fixing the problems! Please do not make your children go to Walker and do not be fooled by their 'international' school antics- worst school EVER!

Posted March 19, 2010

Marlan J. Walker Elementary School
850 Scholar St, Henderson, NV  89002
Last modified Marlan J. Walker Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Marlan J. Walker Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top