Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Posted May 12, 2016
I volunteer a few times a week and will hear a few different teachers talking to the children in a condescending manner... They are children, they don't need to be talked to this way. My children like this school, they are sad they now have to change schools due to moving down the street and are no longer zoned. I found out they rarely approve zone variances here and denied the zone variance ... Sucks for my 4th grader... He now has to change schools for one year.. Both of my children have great teachers! I will say that, I definitely lucked out. if you plan on moving while going to this school, don't plan on them approving a zone variance... It won't happen..

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted May 11, 2016
The faulty here wants all the kids to fall in line like good little soldiers and god help any of them who don't (or can't).

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted May 11, 2016
Once your child develops a reputation with the staff, they will have that reputation for the entire duration of their schooling here, whether it is currently deserved or not.

Marlan J. Walker Elementary School 1

Posted May 11, 2016
My son has ADHD, for which he is being medicated. We were constantly being called in to required parent teacher conferences for these small, perceived slights. By 5th grade, the conferences were less but still present. He was getting Unsatisfactory citizenship grades across the board. He had gained a reputation among the teachers as the kid who misbehaves and was thus watched like a hawk and written up for the smallest of infractions. This reputation filtered down to his classmates, and he found himself a social pariah. When he moved on into 6th grade and onto a new faculty who didn't know him, he was seeing Outstanding and Satisfactory grades in citizenship. Basically, he misbehaved when he was younger and they never let him live it down. His grades and his social skills suffered as a result.

Posted January 05, 2016
This school is pretty good but in 5 years it's going to be learning no spanish. On the other hand Special Ed/Needs students are not treated fairly. The spirit days are fun,but not always for everyone. It's good that the school is spreading the message to stop bullying through Be Kind and Peace Week.If you are enrolling your child in school next year they will not be learning spanish.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted January 05, 2016
This school doesn't have fairness for it's students, especially the Special ED/Needs Students. It's also currently removing the spanish program which is unfair to the parents and students who wanted the students to learn spanish.

Posted April 02, 2014
MY SON HAS BEEN GOING TO THIS SCHOOL FOR 4 YRS NOW AND I WOULD NOT CHOOSE ANOTHER SCHOOL FOR HISM. MY OTHER SON WILL BE STARTING THIS YEAR AND I CANT WAIT TO SEE HOW MUCH HE LEARNS! THE TEACHERS AT THIS SCHOOL ARE AMAZING AND HAVE SO MUCH RESPECT FOR THERE STUDENTS.

Posted January 14, 2014
Walker seemed to be a great choice for our son. We were excited about the Spanish program and the fact that he would have full days as a kindergartener. However there are downsides to the Spanish program. The children are only spoken to in Spanish for that portion of the day. Our experience as a first grader has been frustrating at best. The spanish only has become a hinderance. Math is taught in Spanish and the kids have fallen behind. This is my oldest child, so it is our first public school experience. Before choosing Walker I suugest weighing heavily how your child will respond in this learning environment. Looking at overall test scores and numbers on paper and learning a second language can be great selling points. However, I feel at this point (half way thru 1st grade)it is hindering him. He reads very few Spanish words and counts to 40. My point is that it's not ideal for every child.

Posted August 24, 2013
I absolutely love this school! 2 of my children have attended and my youngest will be going next year. I love that my children are learning spanish and feel like it helps further their education. There is nothing more amazing than hearing your child converse with someone that speaks another language. We have even used our son to translate things for us! The teachers and staff are amazing and I would highly recommend Walker to anyone!

Posted August 14, 2013
This school is amazing. I was worried about the Spanish component but my daughter has thrived in this environment. The teachers care so much about the kids and the kids love their school.

850 Scholar St, Henderson, NV  89002
Last modified Marlan J. Walker Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.