PK-8 & Ungraded|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

We'd intended to enroll our daughter only through pre-K and the elementary years, but the teachers and staff are so loving and supportive, the community of families so welcoming and open, that she is now in her eight year, and will continue through middle school. I only wish there were a high school attached. Bullying is not tolerated, by staff OR students. My daughter is growing into a happy, confident, self-reliant--and self-motivated--person, and she feels safe taking risks in this supportive environment. I don't know what we'd have done if we hadn't found Foothills. I am grateful every day that I have a safe, peaceful place to send my child to learn.

This is the 3rd elementary school our child has attended (after attending 2 other preschools), due to family relocations. We've only been part of FMS for a semester, and we feel very welcomed and supported. I noticed when we first arrived that many of the very-involved parents are very close; and this may be what others perceive as clique-ish. But I have found that those parents are very open and not exclusive of later-comers like me who also wish to get involved in the school community. The teachers have been very caring as well. I had many questions and concerns during my child's transition to a new school -again!- and the teachers responded quickly each time, with the expressed desire to work together to make our child's experience at FMS a positive one. In the classroom, my child enjoys most the subjects that she find most challenging, because she feels supported and encouraged rather than being pushed and frustrated. Realizing that not all schools will be ideal for all children and all families, I can genuinely say that our experience has been a very positive one all around.

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

I am also unable to comment on this, as we have not experienced bullying either first- or second-hand to be able to assess how the school deals with it.

Supports LD students: Neutral

I am unable to comment on this. Having been part of the school community for only one semester so far, I am not knowledgeable in how FMS supports students with LDs.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

The teachers in our child's class work as a team, each having their own strengths and areas of interest.

Amount of homework: Agree

Our child gets a packet of homework each Friday, and has one week to complete it. This gives our child a chance to work at their pace during the week. The amount of work assigned is very reasonable. Our child is able to complete the entire week's work in less than 2 hours of work split up throughout the week.

Foothills Montessori is an oasis in the desert. The staff and the teachers know and care for each and every kid. This is the 7th year for our family and I cannot say enough wonderful things about the school. Each child is treated as an individual and valued as such which helps in developing their self-confidence. The children excel and are happy. A winning combination. I am glad we found Foothills 7 years ago.

FMS teachers challenge the students to learn and push themselves in a loving supportive environment. The staff is beyond dedicated and attentive to every student. Our son has been at FMS for almost 7 years, and is about to graduate. We will be forever grateful for the great experience we have had at FMS.

Develops character: Disagree

This school and PTO foster a clique-y environment that breeds a culture of exclusion. Children are made to feel like they are either IN or "everyone else" and the unfairness of life that the IN kids definitely have an easier time of it.

I thought we were alone in our experience at FMS until I read the March 4 review below. Free spirits need not apply. Day dreaming and curiosity are surfaced as "concerns for the safety of the child"... But they will continue to take your money, until they get a better offer, at which time, they will passive aggressively question whether FMS is a good fit for your child.

Last modified Foothills Montessori School is a Private school