Posted May 13, 2014
Jim Thorpe- I don't care for this school. We will NOT be going back next season. Granted we're new here from Los Angeles, but LAUSD isn't exactly known for it's great education system. However, after experiencing JT, I give a HUGE thumbs up for our much missed LAUSD school. *There is little to no parental involvement from what I can tell, & it shows in the foul mouthed unruly children. So sad to see, & I feel for the children who seem as though their entire future is already doomed; but at what point do you say enough when a child disrupts the class almost daily with telling the teacher off, & throwing chairs across the room? Apparently never for Jim Thorpe. (& this is 1st grade!!) This can only reinforce the bad behavior in the minds of the other children. *Bullies are a regular fixture, but good luck trying to resolve anything properly. *Principal who??? There's a total disconnect. *JT offers almost no incentives for jobs well done. The teacher is equally difficult to connect with, and it's absurd that after just barely learning the alphabet & how to read, homework regularly comes home in a different font, just to add to their challenge. Makes NO sense! There's much more...

Jim Thorpe Elementary School 3

Posted February 20, 2014
My son is currently attending this school, and well I must say it could be worse. My son is considered a special needs student he is in the 3rd grade and the student/ teacher ratio is higher then 18 per teacher its more like 23 per teacher and well as my sons current teacher likes to always say I can't have eyes everywhere. The office staff is somewhat unorganized and well sometimes flat out rude. The last principle was let go for cruel and unusual punishment. That is what the parents were told. As a parent I send my child to get education and get them ready for the real world well it seems that if it is easier to just pass them and make it another teachers issue that is what they are going to do.

Posted July 17, 2013
My grandson has attened Thorpe for 4 yrs. He has special needs. I have found Ms Slackey and 99% of the staff very supportive. They have always tried to accomadate his needs. I wish he could attend all the way through high school.

Posted April 29, 2013
Mrs. Ward is "The Best" first grade teacher. She goes above, and beyond her duties as a teacher to touch her students lives. Mrs Ward is an amazing human being... My only downside is that she cannot teach my child 1-12 grades. Thank You!!!

Posted October 13, 2012
this school is awesome, moving from california , they opened their arms and made us feel welcome! love the staff , specially Julie and all the teachers!.. now we have to move to the other side of town , thats why we have to change our kids from school ... kids loved going there and they are gonna miss this school a lot .

Posted May 13, 2011
My son attended kindergarten in 2011 with Mrs. Lee. At first everything seemed ok at orientation but lacking an overview of what to expect for the year. We (parents) signed up to help in class, met the teacher and brought snacks for the students. As the year went on, we began to dislike what we saw. The teach did not watch our son on many occasions as we found him in the park after school (5 yrs old). No behavior cards given on many of the days. We were never asked to participate in class with the kids and we never seen anyone helping the teacher. She seldom came and picked up the kids waiting in the morning as other teachers assisted. No direction with homework (copies from a book) so that we can help our child. Many other comments but in summary be alert and attentive to the teacher you get at any school not just at Thorpe.

Posted March 17, 2011
I DONT CARE FOR THIS SCHOOL BECAUSE MY SON HAS AUTISM AND TTHEY ARE NOT EQUIPPED FOR KIDS WITH DISABILITIES. THE TEACHERS SEEM ANGRY AND THE THERAPISTS HAVE THAT NONCHALANT ATTITUDE TO PROVIDE THE KIDS WITH THE SERVICES ESPECIALLY THE PHYSICAL THERAPIST. THEY DON'T HAVE THE SENSE OF URGENCY WITH THE KIDS. THE TEACHERS RATHER TALK YOU OUT OF GETTING AN AIDE FOR THE BUS THAN HELP. IF SOMETHING HAPPENS TO THE BUS DRIVER WHILE DRIVING ABOUT EIGHT DISABLED CHILDREN WHO EITHER CAN'T SPEAK, WALK, ETC; I WAS TOLD IT'S NOT NECESSARY FOR THESE KIDS TO HAVE AN AIDE. I AM REMOVING HIM FROM THIS SCHOOL BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO WAIT FOR THE NEXT TIME HE GET SICK AND TAKE HIM TO THE WRONG ADDRESS.

Posted May 11, 2010
I love this school and there never ending focus on the children, and the way that every question put to the office staff is answered effectively and swiftly

Posted March 04, 2010

Jim Thorpe Elementary School 0

Posted July 12, 2009
i love this school!!! it has great teachers!!!! great office staff!!! and a great pta group!!!!

Jim Thorpe Elementary School
1650 Patrick Ln, Henderson, NV  89014
Last modified Jim Thorpe Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jim Thorpe Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top