No rating

Nevada State High School

Charter | 11-12 | 216 students

Posted May 8, 2014

They don't even deserve that single star. The school's motto is "A lack of preparation on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part." But don't worry, if they lose any of your paperwork, information, test scores, etc. it's all your fault and they will make sure they make your life awful because of their mistakes. They also do not welcome parents. My mom was given many, many rude answers when she asked simple questions (not regarding my school work, just general school questions). The staff doesn't give you any information and expects you to read their minds when it comes to deadlines. They have a record of never firing staff, but keep in mind they have many harassment complaints against them from former employees. Save yourself the effort and find another school. If you really want the college environment, you can suck up the attitudes but it does get annoying when they continuously blame you for their mistakes. Also to address the tutoring situation, they "do" offer tutoring. The math tutor told me he couldn't help me with calculus. When I went to the other tutor, we spent 2 hours and still didn't finish one problem. Don't rely on their tutoring.

Posted November 1, 2013

If you are looking to have your college paid tuition paid for, then come here. If you are looking for a social life or a sense of belonging to something, stay at your home school. The people that work here are rude, they do not care about students. As a student at this school it seems as though the staff is simply just checking boxes. A genuine interest in students lives is non-existent. If you are willing to suck it up because they pay for your schooling more power to you. The percentage of happy students here is slim to none.

Posted May 22, 2013

I am so glad that I made the decision to attend NSHS, I graduated this week and I only have two years of school left till I earn my Bachelors degree. The staff at this school is amazing, they are so nice, and every one always knew my name (I actually felt bad on quite a few occasions because I didn't know everyone's name and they always knew mine). The principal's are very passionate about what they do, and try really hard to know each student on a personal level. I had a great time these last two years and I have met some of my best friends at Nevada State. One of my favourite thing's about NSHS is that they not only do they help transition you into a college student but they also get you ready for real life, and teach skills you will need in life that most schools do not (i.e. filing taxes, about credit cards, financial aid and student loans, banking, interview skills, and resume building). I really can't think of anything bad to say. However, I believe that any student that has trouble academically at a traditional high school, would also struggle at Nevada State, I think that this school is best for students who are motivated students.

Posted May 15, 2013

My daughter has yet to be counted in attendance, although everyone seems nice I am concerned about the reviews I have read. Mainly, the staff not being helpful to the student and not being direct with parents. As I was told there would be toutoring as an option along with the help and support of staff......Is this not true??

Posted February 10, 2013

This school, while being a great opportunity for high schoolers, is not a welcoming school. The staff, while greatly knowledgeable, can be rude, blunt, and unprofessional. The school says that they offer help, but whenever asked questions, students are often disregarded and told to look on their website. Don't be fooled by their friendly faces during your initial consultation. Save yourself and your family the stress and the time needed to put up with this program. I'd recommend looking into CSN High school as an alternative, downsides being that you will be more limited in classes there rather than at Nevada State. But at least look into it. I would say that this school definitely lacks in care and compassion for it's students.

Posted October 28, 2012

This was a fantastic opportunity. My daughter was able to take college classes as a junior in high school and have them also count for high school credit. What made the difference is that they were prepared by the school staff to enter college life. This preparation helped make this transition seemless.

Posted June 29, 2012

This may be a good program for people with insane amounts of drive, but for me (determined, but normal) this was the worst school that I possibly could have gone to. I was stressed out, and the staff were largely unhelpful. I would not go back if this school was the last place of learning in the entire universe.

Posted May 3, 2012

This has got to be the best school I have ever gone to in my entire life. The social and academic oppurtunities the school provides to help you to transition into college is better than any school in Nevada and my last home, Arizona. I greatly appreciate the independance they give you and support they give you. If you are a motivated student looking for a school without the obstales commonly found in schools with inmature alumni, this is the school for you :)

Posted June 14, 2011

This school provides a wonderful opportunity for a motivated student to achieve academically while receiving dual High School/College credits. Our student found her college classes challenging, interesting and useful; a wonderful change from the public school system. With that said, here are the outstanding negatives: Do not expect the administration to be helpful in any way. You are on your own. They do not want to interact with parents. The administrators are arrogant and callous. Your student means money and little else. Do not think this will be a smaller environment where your student will be shown any more care and concern than they received in the public system. They will not. The experience was generally a very good one except for the disappointment of the administrators. I expected role models that would inspire my student. I expected them to care about her progress. I expected them to give the student the same flexibility college instructors gave when the student was confronted with a family crisis. There is no flexibility here, only the bottom line, sadly.

Posted August 26, 2009

I'm a student at this school and I transferred my junior year from Boulder City High School. I think this is an amazing school. The students are very independent, we have hundreds of classes to choose from, we make our own schedules, we get college credit AND high school credit, and we get a preview of the college classroom. The admin is a little intimidating at first, but the school is amazing and everyone is very helpful. This is the best college prep I could have ever asked for. Much better than just taknig AP classes. With an average of 200 hundred students, it is a very close-knit school.

Posted May 21, 2009

This is an excellent school, truly exceptional, and one of the best schools, if not the best, in the state. I just feel bad because they don't get the recognition they deserve. I encourage everyone to check this charter school out, especially if toy are highly motivated. You won't regret it.

Posted May 21, 2009

This school is the best school there is in Vegas. The administration works with every single student, and helps them reach their true potential. My daughter was with them for 2 years, and I couldn't be more prouder. Thank you, NVHS, for everything.

Posted May 21, 2009

Exceptional service. They pay for the college education of the students, and have those classes count as high school credits.

Posted November 25, 2007

This school is an exceptional opportnity for any student who is planning on attending college. All classes are taken at the college, and taught by the proffesors. The principals are the most accessable I've ever seen.

Posted November 24, 2007

The school provides a great oppertunity for students however it lacks greatly in the social, and extracurricular aspect for high school students. A lot of students are not as prepared as they think they are for college and there are very little oppertunities given at this school to make that transaction.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 36%N/A54%
Male 29%N/A51%
Female 71%N/A49%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

233 North Stephanie Street