Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

James E & A Rae Smalley Elementary School 1

Posted March 01, 2016
This school sucks!!! Stay away from this school if you want your child to succeed!!! I enrolled my children here after we moved into the area. The two older children both went backwards in their education and the youngest one now had to repeat a grade level at another school because this school failed. The oldest one that attended struggles in all areas now where before was almost a grade ahead from her previous school. The next child entered second grade here reading at almost a fifth grade reading level from his previous school and left fourth grade two years later barely able to read at the fourth grade level. And the youngest well I all ready mentioned her. She is now repeating a grade because this school failed her so badly. Her teacher did everything she could to NOT help her. She avoided my child. Since pulling my children from this school and putting them in a decent school somewhere else the youngest is now almost working at the grade level she was supposed to be entering. She had learned almost everything she should have learned at this school by November at her new school. She gained almost an entire YEARS worth of education that she should have received from this school in just 60 actual school days at her new school. The middle child I took from this school is almost caught up to where he should be. The oldest child I had enrolled is now starting to catch up to grade level. Stay away from Smalley!!!!!!!! Your child will actually get UNeducated at this school!

Posted February 08, 2016
I have nothing but great things to say about this school! I was super worried about putting my son into a public school and they surpassed my expectations. I love the fact its half day kinder because I don't feel like kids need to be thrown into full day at only 5 years old. Every teacher we have had so far is amazing! I love the principal and all of the staff. Everyone is amazing and make our son and family feel comfortable. They push him where he needs to be pushed and I am thrilled with his academics!

Posted August 24, 2015
The school's State Star-Rating results have been lackluster however after I reviewed the measurements I felt that the State's weighting system was flawed, and the school should have been in the 3.5-4 star range based on actual proficiency (not great, but better than appearances). New principal in 2013, new curriculum and methodologies, etc mean that all the prior reviews on this website are really dated. That said, in my opinion, the school is only getting stronger, and is on the verge of true success- the teachers are good, the principal is very active, and the parent/community involvement is amazing.

Posted November 05, 2012
This school really suprised me how well they have reached my child. The teachers are using the" Love and Logic" aproach and it's really working for us. My child really likes going to school there which I think says all you really need to know about this school.

James E & A Rae Smalley Elementary School 1

Posted October 22, 2012
Mrs. Somone the Principle of this school has no clue of how to conduct a school. She doesn't listen to parents about thier kids. She has all the teachers in fear of there jobs at this school. She has broken school policies as to have teachers tooter kids after hours on school property for profit. She has teachers pass out candy to kids all the time, even when you tell the staff and her that your child can't have candy. I wouldn't recommend having your child go to this unless you want a Principle telling you what is best for your kid even when she has no clue. The Principle is not about working with parents just causing problems. She acts like a person who really doesn't care for her job just there for the paycheck. Very Sad when are school District has let so many people go that really want to be there.

Posted October 15, 2012
Smalley is a great educational community. The principle, teachers, and support staff are exceptional but as a parent with 2 children there, I also love that the other kids and their parents are exceptional as well. My 2 sons have made an amazing group of friends with class A families. This school is awesome, top notch education and top notch people all around. Proud to be the parent of Smalley Stallion students.

Posted October 02, 2012
This school has really been great and it starts with the "Tone at the Top", the principal sets the example and expectations for the teachers, parents and teachers. We pulled our child out of private school at $14K a year and worried about him being bored in 4th grade, he is really struggling with the expectations of his teacher and I love it!! Teaching him organizational skills and responsibility which every kid needs to exceed! Thanks Smalley.

James E & A Rae Smalley Elementary School 4

Posted April 19, 2012
My daughter attended kindergarten last year. The teacher was fabulous. She made it fun and educational. We miss being at Smalley Elementary School.

James E & A Rae Smalley Elementary School 3

Posted May 04, 2011
I find this school average. Although the teacher we have this year is amazing, the school overall just doesn't have that fun but educational feel. It feels incredibly business like when I am there. I would love to see a more positive vibe coming from the teachers. I don't believe our child is being challenged fully. I also would love to see more teachers out in the morning at the child drop off to greet the students and open doors, and to keep the flow of traffic MOVING. Parents like to sit there and wait until the bell rings or the door opens before they let their child out-then those parents should come later. We all have places to be after dropping off our kids. I don't like that the kids are rushed to eat and have to sit quietly at lunch. This is their break-and the times that they are not learning-should be somewhat fun. I know our child isn't have the best time here, but does enjoy the before school activity on MWF.

Posted June 14, 2009
My child is leaving this school and moving on to middle school, and i am sooooo sad. The principal is amazing, she seems to know every student's name, greets everyone with a huge smile!!! the office staff and teachers are happy to be there and it shows!!! can't say enough wonderful things about this school & it's staff!!

James E & A Rae Smalley Elementary School
304 East Paradise Hills Dr, Henderson, NV  89015
Last modified James E & A Rae Smalley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.