Southwest Career And Technical Academy

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 1137 students

Posted July 10, 2014

I have only attended Southwest for two years and the school has already provided great opportunities. I am a Fashion Design major. In just a few months I learned how to sew. Two years of learning these skills and I've made several garments. Enough about me, the school is great at participating in community service. Each major does different activities to help the community. As a fashion major, I made sling packs for the less fortunate and helped to run a Girl's In Tech conference (helps empower and give confidence to middle school girls) I know this is long but please hear me out. The school has amazing test scores. My tenth grade english teacher (Mr. Moore) prepared us so well for the porficiencies that almost no one failed. I got a score of 493/500, and English is one of my weakest subjects. Overall the school is great academically. The ONLY downfall is that the school does not provide sports or performing arts. This is just how magnet schools in CCSD are. This problem is easily fixed, though. Students can join sports teams from their home school. Anyways, the school is pretty great!
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 24, 2014

I recently graduated from Southwest CTA and I have to say I was more than prepared to transition into a university. I was really happy to know that I was ahead of the game on a lot of things that have to do with my major as well as public speaking and professionalism. The school has amazing staff and resources. I also really liked the fact that there is different majors that people can participate in. Overall I am extremely happy to say that I made the right choice coming to Southwest CTA.

Posted December 20, 2013

I'm an alum. I started as a freshman the first year the school opened in 2009, and I graduated with the class of 2013. I would hear all about my friends at other public high schools, and how they just wanted to get done with it. Southwest made me involved though, "getting done with it" wasn't an option. Now, as a freshman at UNLV, I'm incredibly thankful for what SWCTA did for me. Like one of the parents commented, staff sometimes leave. I had two teachers leave due to their pregnancies. That can happen at any school. Some staff could've been better, yes, but that's anywhere. Nowhere is perfect. But Southwest Career and Technical Academy really had some of the most amazing staff. I had so many opportunities attending high school there, I wish I would've taken full advantage of all the opportunities. The administration is obsessed with the stars and stats, but they make sure their students represent the school properly. I'm not a nerd by any means, but southwest was a home to me. I had my web design and broadcast family there. Parents need not enroll their students unless their student actually wants to participate in the best education possible.

Posted May 20, 2013

My daughter in in 9th grade. She loves the school. Class rooms are clean and safe. Most teachers are helpful and accessible. The Principal plans to expand the usage of the campus to include some college-level classes in the future.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2013.

355 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the High School Proficiency Examination (HSPE) to assess high school students in reading, writing, math and science. The HSPE is a high school graduation requirement. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Students without disabilities99%
Proficient in English99%
Not migrant98%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 32% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 41%N/A54%

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7050 West Shelbourne Av