9-12 & Ungraded
Las Vegas, NV
Students enrolled: 1,137

Southwest Career And Technical Academy 1

Posted December 03, 2014
My son is a senior at Southwest CTA. He transferred in from out of state because his dad and I are military. I have to say that this is the WORST school I have had the misfortune of sending my child to. The administrative staff/ Counselor are unresponsive; it took them months to assess his credits because they were lost in the back of someone's car. I've made numerous attempts to contact the counselor and the vice principal through email and phone to resolve some issues. My son went from being a very motivated straight A student ranked number two at his previous school to being very frustrated and resentful because he cannot get the right support and help from a school that is supposed to be highly rated. You would think that this school would be invested in helping its seniors navigate a successful year, but it seems that because he is a transfer student that he cannot get the help or support he needs. I can only hope that this change, but I am not optimistic.
2 people found this helpful

Posted July 10, 2014
I have only attended Southwest for two years and the school has already provided great opportunities. I am a Fashion Design major. In just a few months I learned how to sew. Two years of learning these skills and I've made several garments. Enough about me, the school is great at participating in community service. Each major does different activities to help the community. As a fashion major, I made sling packs for the less fortunate and helped to run a Girl's In Tech conference (helps empower and give confidence to middle school girls) I know this is long but please hear me out. The school has amazing test scores. My tenth grade english teacher (Mr. Moore) prepared us so well for the porficiencies that almost no one failed. I got a score of 493/500, and English is one of my weakest subjects. Overall the school is great academically. The ONLY downfall is that the school does not provide sports or performing arts. This is just how magnet schools in CCSD are. This problem is easily fixed, though. Students can join sports teams from their home school. Anyways, the school is pretty great!

Posted March 24, 2014
I recently graduated from Southwest CTA and I have to say I was more than prepared to transition into a university. I was really happy to know that I was ahead of the game on a lot of things that have to do with my major as well as public speaking and professionalism. The school has amazing staff and resources. I also really liked the fact that there is different majors that people can participate in. Overall I am extremely happy to say that I made the right choice coming to Southwest CTA.

Posted December 20, 2013
I'm an alum. I started as a freshman the first year the school opened in 2009, and I graduated with the class of 2013. I would hear all about my friends at other public high schools, and how they just wanted to get done with it. Southwest made me involved though, "getting done with it" wasn't an option. Now, as a freshman at UNLV, I'm incredibly thankful for what SWCTA did for me. Like one of the parents commented, staff sometimes leave. I had two teachers leave due to their pregnancies. That can happen at any school. Some staff could've been better, yes, but that's anywhere. Nowhere is perfect. But Southwest Career and Technical Academy really had some of the most amazing staff. I had so many opportunities attending high school there, I wish I would've taken full advantage of all the opportunities. The administration is obsessed with the stars and stats, but they make sure their students represent the school properly. I'm not a nerd by any means, but southwest was a home to me. I had my web design and broadcast family there. Parents need not enroll their students unless their student actually wants to participate in the best education possible.

Posted May 20, 2013
My daughter in in 9th grade. She loves the school. Class rooms are clean and safe. Most teachers are helpful and accessible. The Principal plans to expand the usage of the campus to include some college-level classes in the future.

Southwest Career And Technical Academy
7050 West Shelbourne Av, Las Vegas, NV  89113
Last modified Southwest Career And Technical Academy is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Southwest Career And Technical Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 5 reviews. Top