Marc Kahre Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted May 17, 2014

My kids have been attending Marc Kahre since perschool kids are now in first and second. Have had a wonderful experience with almost every teacher my kids have had. The only teacher I ever had a problem with was my son's kindergarten. That teacher was a waste of time. They remedied the situation and that teacher is no longer there. I absolutely love our principal and assistant principal. They are amazing people with big hearts. Would recommend this school to anyone moving to the area.

Posted April 11, 2014

Based on my experience, some teachers in this school like to gang up on parents and their students. Most teachers are just there physically, they don't pay too much attention on bullying. Teachers let their students bully one another.

Posted August 30, 2013

awful school, principal is mean, my kid's teacher was self serving and completely not qualified. I pulled my kids out after 3 months. What a joke of a place. If you zoned for this school my recommendation is MOVE to another zip code. The worst experience ever.

Posted May 16, 2013

i have two grandchildren at this school who have been attending there since kindergarten. They are now in second and fourth grades. The current principal seems more interested in the students than the last one, even speaking to them on a personal basis and she is visible on the school grounds. The curriculum could be more comprehensive, but thats a problem for the district. The extra curricular activities are good. From my experience with the teachers they are satisfactory but not as good as they should be, most disregard students as individuals. The newer teachers don't get enough supervision. My grandson's second grade teacher did not have a good rapport with the students. However, the teacher did start late in the year as a replacement for an older, experienced teacher, but it was not a positive experience for the students from what I heard from several parents. The principal needs better supervisory skills of the teachers. There needs to be more supervision of students in the school yard in the morning. In speaking with friends and neighbors and others, this school is better than most elementary schools in Las Vegas

Posted September 11, 2012

I have two children who attended Marc Kahre Elementary School over the last three years (2009-2012). We have had great experiences here with the teachers and the support staff. The new principal is learning and seems to get better with each year. The PTA is great and the parent support at the school is amazing. If you have the chance to live in the zoning for Marc Kahre, I would highly recommend it. The art and music programs are great. The PE teacher is phenomenal. He really expects those kids to work hard! The GATE program at the school is second-to-none! The Marc Kahre Day Police Parade is something to see! I have spent countless hours volunteering in the classrooms, library, with the PTA and in the office. The office staff are great! just can't think of any negative things to say about the school. It has been a great place for my children to learn and grow. And they have had great friends here. The teachers are the best part of the school.

Posted June 1, 2012

My daughter will be attending this school, since we purchased our home in this particular school zone. I am a little worried due to all the reviews I have read in various sights complaining about bullying. Since she's an only child, we have taught her the signs of being bullied and mistreated. My question to these parents is "What kind of action are you taking on behalf of your child with these bullies?" I understand that the staff is not doing their part, but as your child's parents, caretaker and protector; it's our responsibility to speak for them when they are not being heard or this case ignored. I will be damned before my daughter endures this type of treatment, even if I have to get the school board or have to bring the police in this matter I will. Research and learn about how YOU can stop this, every case can be the exception and that can set the foundation for better and stronger laws/rules for bullying in this school and CCSD.

Posted October 31, 2011

This school needs reorganization and a principal that has experience. This is the first year for the first grade teacher and she is does not treat the students fairly and tries to manipulate the children and parents on a daily basis. There are no activities for the children - no dress up for Halloween. No funding for field trips. No PTA. I have complained to the teacher and principal multiple times regarding the unfair treatment to no avail. I am in the process of changing schools because in first grade you need a good teacher.

Posted June 23, 2011

While I feel Marc Kahre E.S. has very strong teachers and educational impact, there needs to be more done to make children feel safe here. There are a lot of "mean" kids and bullies at this school at it seems to be ignored by the adults in charge. I would like to see the disruptive children held accountable and their parents made aware of it. My children stopped telling adults when they were being harassed because they were usually ignored. An anonymous way for students to report such behaviors to the administration would be most helpful. Parents shouldn't have to keep the school notified of problems, they should already know what the problems are. I feel the school does a lot of fun activities and really tries to include the parents and community as much as possible. As far as making children feel safe and empowered at school though, the administration needs to step it up and do a better job. We send our kids to school to learn, be happy, and feel safe. None of those factors should ever be compromised.

Posted April 1, 2011

My son has been at Marc Kahre since kindergarten and is now in third grade. We bought a house specifically in Kahre's school zone because of our positive experience during kindergarten. The teachers he has had are fantastic. They truley care about their students and do not label children. We have been fortunate that our son has had a teacher each year that has been at Kahre for many years and has many years of experience in education. I think that says a lot about a school when there is not a high turnover rate. I think some of these negative comments may stem from helicopter parents who feel their child can do no wrong. You do your child and and the school a disservice if you are unable to appropriately react to issues brought up by the teacher and support them; and if you disagree then respectfully do so. I have never had an issue brought up that as a parent I didn't disagree with. I work hard to ensure my child has good morals, social skills, and takes ownership for his actions. I can not speak to the schools current leadership, because it changed the 2010-2011 school year. The previous principle was very kind and the teachers adored her.

Posted September 16, 2009

we had definate trouble with our son's teachers and with the administration. We were very unsatisfied and were concerned the for the safety of our child. We have since moved schools.

Posted December 9, 2008

Marc Kahre is an excellent school!!! When we moved here from Illinois 6 years ago it was highly recommended, and had all the qualities we were looking for in our children's education. We made sure we bought a house within the boundaries so our children could have the best of everything that an elementary school in Las Vegas could have.

Posted October 30, 2008

I am proud to say that my daughter attends Marc Kahre. The teachers are attentive, caring, and follow developmentally appropriate practices. I know one teacher there who stood up to the school board to keep a crucial part of her classroom intact. THIS IS ONE PROUD PARENT!

Posted September 20, 2008

The principal is awful, most teachers are good and care about your child. I can't say it enough, though, the principal is absolutely the worst part of Kahre. She is condescending and rude and does not handle incidents with the children well at all.

Posted January 29, 2008

The administration is outstanding. The administration is caring and right on when it comes to important issues. There are outstanding teachers at this school. My son's teacher was honored by the president last spring for a national science teaching award. I commend the school and the staff.

Posted September 28, 2007

I find the lack of regard for parents concerns appalling. I have left messages for teachers and the principal none which have been returned. I have contacted the superintendent so we will see where that goes.

Posted September 11, 2007

I am very proud of having my child a part of Marc Kahre Elementary. I am involved on a weekly basis within and enjoy making a difference for our children, teachers and parents sake. I encourage all parents to do what they can to take part in their children's education. MArc Kahre Staff is very easy to work with and always willing to take time for our children.

Posted August 29, 2007

Most of the teacher are great. The administration is not good at all. Concerns of the parents are not taken seriously.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the Criterion Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The CRT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 61% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 44% in 2011.

110 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students65%

Students without disabilities65%
Proficient in English66%
Not migrant63%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students77%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 54%N/A54%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

7887 West Gowan Rd