Grant Sawyer Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted today

My posting on how bad this school is never show up on the comment section. Does this tell you what kind of school Grant Sawyer Middle School is that they have to hid terrible reviews.

Posted yesterday

My son spent half of a year at Grant Sawyer. I am terrified at all the bad things he has told me. It seemed like there was something new everyday and it just kept getting worse and worse. I thought all the crazy stuff he had told me might be a lie until I witnessed a horrible fight in front of the school. May I say I have pulled my son out of Grant Sawyer and he is now living a happy normal middle school life at Jack Lund Schofield.

Posted September 8, 2014

Sawyer middle school isn't that bad for my first year of middle school at first I was Gonna be scared to go to sawyer but everyone is nice like the teachers and students But it's only the 3rd week of school things could change but sawyer is a great school!!!

Posted August 18, 2014

The music program in this school is fantastic! Mr. Hernandez is a great teacher! While, again I feel sorry for the teachers there although they tried so hard and students performance is not as good as it should be. My son told me that half of his classmates did not do their homework. Teacher reported to Principle, and Principle talked with parents, while, it did not work. Maybe, the parents do not care enough. Kids future is determined by school, family and society triangle. Now my family moved to Bay Area, I can see how much the parents here got involved. It is definitively unacceptable for kids not-doing homework. Also, the teacher here do not need work as hard as Vegas schools since parents will not allow their kids to be left behind. I will Vegas city did a good job in terms of free lunch, security and free transportation. Bay Area, the school my daughter is attending, no free transportation, very high bar for reduced lunch and I did not see one cop for the first day of school. Sorry for the teachers in Vegas, they did not get enough returns although they contributed so much and tried so hard.

Posted September 17, 2013

Great. Fantastic education. My child actually enjoys going to this school. I am happy they are not finding anything negative about is school. No bullies and they have made tons of friends. The principle is great too!

Posted August 6, 2013

this school is a good motevter my son tured mature and he stoped doing drugs he takes me anywhere he goes and he gets straight a's he loves this school and wishes there was 9th grade but this changed his life.

Posted June 13, 2013

I went here for my 6th and 7th grade year, and I'm about to start my 8th grade year here. Sixth grade.. was okay. The old principal was nowhere to be found..unless somebody important was at Sawyer. I was a dumb kid, I broke so many rules and got away with it in 6th grade. I have no idea how long she(the old principal) worked there, but I'm sure it was at least 5 years. She never enforced anything, and I'm pretty sure some students were doing 'things' in the bathroom. Start of seventh grade, we have a new principal. He is amazing. He made me realize how incredibly dumb I was being and turned me into a mature 7th grader. He is everywhere at school. He attends all 3 lunches, makes daily announcements, and he even danced with us at our dances! He's easy going, and it's rare to see him not at school. When we do something bad, he gets disappointed in us, which is worse than any other punishment. The only thing I absolutely hate is the 2012-2013 sixth-soon-to-be seventh graders' attitude. They're extremely spoiled, but then again I guess that's how I used to act. I'm on a zone variance for this school. I love this school so much, I MADE my parents apply. Once a mustang, always a mustang.

Posted May 21, 2012

I love this school this school is like my favorite middle school I've attended this school for 6th and 7th but sadly I won't be able to attend 8th . This school has the most nicest people ever and it's very easy to find friends and even though this school has a lot of fights its still a great school . I'm in the orchestra program and the teacher Mr. Brown is more then amazing and he is my most favorite teacher and he's really funny and the great thing about orchestra is that it's not alike from other schools it has a chamber level for kids to try and work harder but sadly I will not be able to go to chamber and go to Disneyland because I'm transferring to Sig Rogich I heard its a good school but it will never replace my amazing memories and the amazing teachers and people there and Ms. Childress is the most amazingest dean ever ! I hope to the people that go to sawyer that they will enjoy it a lot like I did :) I WILL MISS SAWYER !!!

Posted May 11, 2011

i am going to this school in 7th grade. i am in 6th grade right now and i am waiting to go to this school. I hope this is a good school to learn in. i hope i feel safe and in a good enviroment like the reviews say.

Posted November 17, 2010

GRANT SAWYER IS A GOOD SCHOOL ITS NOT THE BEST BUT HTEY MAKE U FEEL AT HOME I WENT THERE FOR THE 7TH GREAD AND I LOVED IT THEY MADE ME FEEL AT HOME I COULD TALK TO THEM ABOUT MY HOME PROBLEMS AND THE DEANS THERE R GOOD WHEN I GOT IN TROUBLE THEY PUT ME IN TO SHAPE BUT SAWYER IS NOT THE BEST SCHOOL EVER BUT IT IS A GOOD SCHOOL TO MAKE UR CHILED FEEL WELCOME THERE DRAMA PROGRAM IS THE BEST AND THEY HELPED ME GET IN TO THE SCHOOL THAT I WANTED LVA (LAS VEGAS ACADEMY) ITS A GOOD SCHOOL TO FIND FRIENDS BUT OF COURSE THERE WILL BE A FIGHT THERE IS NOT ONE SCHOOL IN LAS VEGAS THAT AT LEAST HAS TWO FIGHTS PER YEAR BUIT I LOVER SAWYER WHEN I WHENT THERE

Posted July 26, 2010

I am going to Grant Sawyer Middle School and i hope its going to be awsome. I have had my elder brother and sister go there so i know my way around. i know for sure they have great teachers and good events but i would add more. i cant wait to go there and meet them

Posted June 7, 2010

This school is great. I was a little scared because it was my very first year there, but they made me feel way at home. It's a great school. Fights happen once in a while, but that happens in every middle school. They handle it very well. I love it there!

Posted April 8, 2010

Currently this school has intese and dominate issues with gang membership, drugs, bullying, poor scores on standardized testing and high repetition of grades. There are more than just several students attending above the age of fifteen. The staff can only do so much and some specifically are incompetent and unable to fully answer student's questions. The staff isn't handling the drug issue- drug dealing and purchasing. The enforcement of school dress code is laughable. This school is currently on the government's red list for possibly taking it over. It's low performance on standardized tests has put it under the watchful eye of the district. I highly recommend sending your child somewhere else.

Posted August 4, 2009

I attented 7th and 8th grade in Sawyer Middle School. At first I hated it, but was only because I had to leave all my friends behind Jim Bridger Middle School. I really care about my edducation and then everything started getting better. I really loved this school, there's good teachers, there's dress code but no uniforms neccessary. Really great school! Of course there were fights but they got in crontolled. The kids behaved better. This Middle School was way better than Jim Bridger. And I know this because I went to Sawyer.

Posted May 23, 2009

The teachers, are okay. But what I like as being a student is the surroundings and enviroment.(:

Posted October 14, 2008

I think Sawyer is not a very parent friendly school. The deans office the secretary is nice but the deans are so unapproachable. Nobody knows anything. My child went there and was constantly being harassed and the deans office did nothing. The teachers complain alot. And the principal can't be found.

Posted June 10, 2008

I like sawyer its just i don't feel safe and i really don't feel that I'm in good hands. Yes the education is good but the other students interfere with our academic studies and the teachers don't do anything about it. I would like the principle to seek more into that and consider the thought of making the school a safer place where students can learn and still know there safe.

Posted December 5, 2007

This is my sons third year at Sawyer Middle School. I feel that Sawyer is an excellent school for acadamics. As far as those other parents who do not think Sawyer is great. My advice is to get more involved. Go to the PAC meetings. It is such a shame to see that actually parents do not come to the meetings and then complain that the school is not doing its job. Mrs. Friel is an excellent principal and only wants the best for all of the students.. Come on people get involved in your childs education. You may feel better and see some improvements in your children as well. This is the best middle school in the Southwest. Great teachers as well.

Posted September 19, 2007

I would not recommend sending any special needs child to this school especially if they are physically disabled.

Posted September 13, 2007

Sawyer is a great school to learn at! But sometimes there can be fights and weird things happening. But I am proud to be a Sawyer Mustang! Go Mustangs!

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 63% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the Criterion Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The CRT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2013.

412 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 62% in 2013.

413 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

462 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 50% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

459 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 60% in 2011.

480 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students46%

Students with limited English proficiency16%
Proficient in English69%
Not migrant58%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students46%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 72%N/A54%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
School psychologist
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Orchestra
Performing arts
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5450 Redwood St