Bonanza High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 7 students

Posted June 14, 2007

I am a little torn because I had one daughter who I took out of that school and I have another one that seems to be doing ok there. All she had to do was show some interest in wanting an education and her teachers came around. I think I will give it one more year before I make my final decision.

Posted April 9, 2007

I am a current student at Bonanza. Some of these reviews are absolutely off track. Bonanza's staff is great, they allow nothing but the best. They make sure you are completeing your work and staying on task. The security is also very strong.

Posted October 25, 2006

I am a former student at Bonanza. I graduated in 05 and I loved all 4 years there. Compared to what my friends at other schools were saying, I'm glad I was at Bonanza. There are so many great teachers there and they really take an interest in each student.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 5, 2006

I am currently attending bonanza high school and I am a freshmen. the administration, I have to agree, it's anything but strict. it seems they don't know what to do but kick students out of school instead of dealing with it themselves. I mean a school is a school. it really all comes down to the student. you can put a kid in any type of school but you can't MAKE them learn. they have to be willing to themselves.

Posted November 15, 2005

There is no way that in this school there can be parent involment. The school does not work with the parents to try to solve attendance problems, istead they make parents worry all day about thier child .

Posted November 13, 2005

I am not a parent, but a former student of Bonanza. I graduated in 2005. The staff is indeed below par. After doing little work and graduating with a 3.4, I find myself struggling at a top 100 college and look back at Bonanza with resentment. Parents would be surprised to know how many kids are under the influence at school everyday. Meanwhile the dean and administration are handing out rpcs for tardiness right and left.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 16, 2005

Like any school, there are outstanding teachers and teachers who should have retired 10 years ago. My child's experiences over the past two years have been positve. There was an administration change last year, that I think will bring new ideas and programs to the school. I don't always agree with all of the policies but I have seen policies change as the administration tries to work out what is best for the school and the students. Parent involvement is key. An administrator is more likely to be helpful if they have seen you involved in school activites in a positve way as opposed to seeing you for the first time in their office screaming about your child's injustice.

Posted December 16, 2004

You all parents don't know what is going on, you need to be a student to really know. Bonanza is one of the best 100 schools in the United States and one out of two in Nevada. When you say the staff singles out the student you are so wrong I'm a Hispanic girl and if it wouldn't be for my counselor I wouldn't be in my Senior year with a 3.0 GPA. Mrs Pointer you are the 'BEST'.

Posted December 8, 2004

Excuse me, my child has been attending Bonanza for four years and i have not once seen anything less than so much support from the staff at Bonanza. The only time i see them not supporting and giving a student the ultimate concern is when the student does not show any desire to learn. Bonanza is not a pre school it is a high school and i find it pleasant that they do not take time to babysit students who do ot want to be there in the first place. Of course, every school has a couple of kids who will be disbehaving, even in PRIVATE schools. Bonanza is a no nonsense school and i am glad to have my daughter attending that brillant institution.

Posted December 4, 2004

I would like to commend the staff and school for being concerned with my sons needs. I believe the school should find more creative ways to enfo-rce there tardy policy. Removing kids from school is not the solution. Overall bonanza provides a good educational environment. And has managed to keep my Son and Daughter safe while attending there. I would like to commend one teacher in particular for going the extra mile with my sons needs Mr. Marshall ( Study Skills ). Great Job Ron.

Posted October 24, 2004

Unbelieveable, is all I can say and that is being kind. I have brought 5 kids including 1 in special education, through school and have never encountered an educational facility not interested in the best interest of the child (student). All the forms you sign giving the school responsibility over that child for the time they are in school, as to there safety and wellbeing and education is a crock. There is no concrete structure as to support for the student, only for the school staff itself. You have no say as to what happens as far as your child is concern, they make a decision and then tell you there decision is pending, however what the pending decision is has gone forth and is active. Your only chance is to appeal the decision and hope for the best. As I said, unbelieveable.

Posted October 4, 2004

Debbie, i am right there with you. I have taken my daughter out of bonanza and my younger daughter should be attending there next year but no way. I will pay for private school before I subject another one of my children to that place. The staff doesn't care what's going on, and admin is a joke. If you want to see for yourself, just walk through that place at lunch time as I had the unfortunate displeasure of doing today. Thank god we will no longer be a part of that mess. Parents, beware. No matter how much I love my beautiful new home, I would have rethought my choice knowing what I know now.

Posted September 30, 2004

Oh wow... I think that parent needs to cool down. I am a present bonanza student, and i will tell you what's really going on. They give us 5 mins to get to class, and frankly... It's enought time to get from class to class if you just try. They even give a 2 minute warning bell... If that's too hard, then it's your problem. I have 8 classes, and half of them are honors, so don't take me as a joke either. Now, on the other hand, you don't usually get enough time to use your locker, I've only used mine twice. But there isn't much of a need to really, only before and after school is necessary. And teachers do give time to go to the restroom during class, just ask nicely. Also, the rotc and band programs are exceptionally great. You should look into those if planning on attending.

Posted September 26, 2004

I feel that Bonanza High School is a very educational place. My daughter has been going there for four years and she absolutly loves it. the classes that are given are fun and challenging at the same time. I feel that this school is a very great school!

Posted September 15, 2004

I would think twice about sending my child to this school. The staff will single kids out and harrass them. They don't give the students enough time to get from one class to another let alone use the restroom or go to their lockers. The teachers don't let the students leave class to use the restroom. They RPC kids quicker than you can blink. A lot of the teachers are so afraid of the kids that they punish them for voicing their opinions. You call in to the dean's office and the secretary thinks it's funny and laughs through the whole conversation even if you are yelling at her. Jr's & Sr's practically have to beg to get a locker. The dean, doesn't even know where Reno, Nevada is. I have taken my child out and will not let my younger son attend.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

491 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2013.

492 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

490 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2013.

479 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the High School Proficiency Examination (HSPE) to assess high school students in reading, writing, math and science. The HSPE is a high school graduation requirement. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Students with limited English proficiency14%
Proficient in English82%
Not migrant76%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 57%N/A54%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Health & athletics

• Gym

Fax number
  • (702) 799-4078

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)

• Orchestra
Performing arts
  • Dance
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6665 West Del Rey Ave