M J Christensen Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 683 students

Posted May 22, 2014

This has always been a nice school and I think they are getting better every year

Posted February 25, 2013

5 years ago my son had Mrs.Lorifing for his kindergarten teacher. She was amazing!! She taught him to read within the first two weeks of school. She was super organized and had a lot of parent help. Great school.

Posted April 10, 2012

I have had a child in this school for 4 years and have seen it go DOWN hill in the past year. Bullying is a bug problem and it seems to go by the wayside. I am seeking a better school for my son. He no longer looks forward to going to school here and his grades have dropped drastically.

Posted January 18, 2012

When I went there in first grade, the teachers didn't care about me. When I fell one time and scraped up my whole face, the teacher said nothing and was careless. The next day I went in the class with bandages all over my face THEN the teachers said, "what happened". When I had a small fever they wouldn't let me go to the nurse because they found out that another student had a higher fever. I'm hoping it will become a better school and has changed since before. I did have many caring friends and they agreed that they saw the scraps and helped me through hard times. There was very few bully issues and when your little you never wanted to tell your parents, but I now confess. It was a decent school, until I went to private school. It was so much better than that mean place.

Posted January 6, 2012

The education my children have received so far, is barely mediocre. A lot of the staff I've encountered at this school are lazy, condescending, and even rude - to both students and parents. These are not the qualities in teachers and office staff, that I want influencing my children. I'm currently looking into enrolling my children in a private school to get them away from this mess.

Posted July 27, 2009

Although my daughter had three teacher changes in the first semester of third grade, once she was eventually placed in her permanent class, the teacher was really good and seemed to really care. (Her precious teachers had all left for various reasons) My daughter enjoys school here and I feel she is learning so I guess that is all that matters right now!

Posted May 27, 2009

This school has been a wonderful place for my child to learn. I love the staff and teachers. Unfortunately, the new principal is very stand-offish and doesn't involve himself with the children. I am actively looking for a new home in order to get my child away from what once a bright spot in my life.

Posted March 19, 2009

All three of my children have gone to school here. One is in high school and two are still attending MJ. This school has always been great. My kids love the 'specials' and they think Mr. 'A', the PE teacher, is fantastic. The front office staff is one of the best around. I am always greeted with a smile. All of the teachers are caring and want the students to excel. Always fantastic communication. The no bully policy is strictly enforced. I wish this school had a jr. high attached to it so my 5th grader could continue here next year!

Posted July 17, 2008

Mrs. Lorfing is an excellent Kindergarten teacher. She is fair and very upbeat. Mr. Cuda is an awesome music teacher!! Teacher at this school are wonderful and the front office assistants are so bubbly and pleasant. This school I would highly recommend to anyone. :) Go Mariner's!!

Posted April 20, 2008

The teachers are dedicated and work very hard! They strive to meet the needs of the children in their care. Too bad the administrators have become too consumed with data and paper work to stay connected to the students, unless a discipline problem arises.

Posted December 13, 2007

My little sister goes here for her year as a fifth grader. She really enjoy's the activities, and the academics are nowhere compared to what I have even learned when I was in 7th grade. She also loves art classes activities that allow her imagination run wild! Overall she couldn't be happier

Posted September 13, 2007

All three of my children have gone to M J Christensen. I only have one left there my 3rd grader the other 2 have moved on to Junior high. I have to say I truly love M J it s is the best school. I have made sure that my kids have stayed in that district to go to M J. I will miss every one there so much when my last child leaves. My Junior High kids to day still go and visit there old teachers. Way to go Mariners keep it up I know you will!!!!!!!!!!

Posted August 7, 2007

I'm looking forward to my children going to Christensen this year and years to come. The education and atmosphere is excellent. Couldn't ask for a better location and the support I've received...Ty M.J. Christensen!

Posted September 20, 2006

As a former MJ Mariner, I have to say that Christensen has got to be the BEST school around. The teachers are the best around, very caring and always willing to help. Parent involvement has gone down in the recent years but is still apparent. The general feel of Christensen is one of caring and compassion right down to the janitor, who is still the nicest one I have met ot this day. Overall Christensen is a great school and I am always proud to chant 'When school is out we will say Hooray! We did it the Mariner way! Thank goodness for our MJ...CHRISTENSEN!!'
—Submitted by a former student

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the Criterion Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The CRT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 61% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 44% in 2011.

129 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students64%

Students without disabilities68%
Proficient in English66%
Not migrant64%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students66%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 53%N/A54%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

9001 Mariner Cove Dr