Posted October 07, 2014
I Really Like This School. They Are Helpful For Those Who Need More Education And Make's Sure That Everyone Is On Track. I Love The Be Kind Program To! Helping Kids Being Kind Like Josh Stevens.I Dont Get How Others Hate This School.

Posted August 15, 2014
My three sons go to Derfelt, one will start 5th, one will start 2nd and our youngest starts Kindergarten this year. The staff have always been excellent, friendly and Mr. Mingo knows all the kids by name. My son that is going in 5th grade can't walk by a teacher without them all knowing his name. It makes me happy that they always acknowledge the kids by name. Great school.

Posted July 27, 2014
My daughter had Ms. Hawkins for kindergarden 2013-2014 and she loved her teacher and her class SO much ! I admire and respect the way Ms . Hawkins runs her classroom. She is wonderful with the children and her teaching methods work amazingly well. My favorite thing about Ms. Hawkins is she teaches the kids how to spell words with songs, songs that spell the words out and give examples of the word. Also I love the projects that were assigned. They were a great way for the kids to express themselves and their interests in a fun creative way. Last, I loved the way the homework was assigned, it made it mandatory for parents to take time to help their children and see what subjects they are strong and weak in. I noticed that Ms. Hawkins knew everything about every individual child, which is amazing considering how many little ones she had in one class. My first parent teacher meeting with Ms Hawkins I was so happy and impressed, The principal is also very involved and great with the kids ! Love this school and the staff !!

Posted May 15, 2014
My daughter started Derfelt January 2014. She is in the 2nd grade. Her teachers Mrs Dahlky and Mrs Fisher are awesome. My daughter speaks very highly of them. Every time i go to the school I am warmly greeted by all staff. Recently my daughter had to take off of school for 3 weeks. I was very worried about my daughters grade going down but they made sure to keep her on track. I love this school and very glad my daughter goes here.

Posted February 05, 2014
Teachers are accessible. They are knowledgable regarding LD's and how to accommodate them. The Specialists (Music, PE, Library, Art) are some of the best teachers in the district and love what they do. Parent involvement is encouraged.

Herbert A Derfelt Elementary School 4

Posted January 25, 2014
Our family left a private school to attend Derfelt and we have been very happy with that decision...for the most part. What I've learned more than anything is, it's not the school itself, it's the teacher and parent involvement that will make the biggest difference in a child's education. While I'm not super impressed with administration, I have liked the kids teachers this year. That being said, last year was a disaster with a teacher. Whether we stay at this elementary school is a year to year decision. If the current principal is there for next year, it's looking like we won't be.

Herbert A Derfelt Elementary School 4

Posted September 26, 2013
I really like the school I think the teachers are doing a very good job. I like a lot of the interactive activities they have for the children I think the principal really cares about the kids and is doing a very good job, my only complaint would be it seems like there's too many children in a classroom but I'm coming from a place where they had no more than 20 children with a teacher helper. I like the diversity of the kids The classrooms and the school itself is quite new and very well up kept up So let's see how it goes this is my first year here with two children there and I'm very hopeful at this point.

Posted August 31, 2013
We moved to this area three years ago and my daughter was put into Mr. C's 4th grade class. She says it was the BEST year of her elementary education. To this day, she says he made learning fun and exciting. She has told us that he made long division so easy to understand and it has helped her tremendously in math since. She loved his Rugby program too. I have never seen a teacher so dedicated to his students. He genuinely cares about them. He even came to one of her soccer games to show interest in her. We will never forget that. Above and beyond! Mr. Mingo is an incredible leader and presence at that school. He makes sure that children are safe and protected. We had an incident last year where another student was behaving inappropriately towards one of my daughters and Mr. Mingo took immediate, serious action to make sure that it did not happen again. We truly appreciate his care in that matter. I am very pleased with the education my children have received and are receiving at Derfelt. My daughter even got a perfect 500 on her math CRT's while at this school and received a 495/500 on her reading. I'd say they are doing their job and then some.

Posted August 30, 2013
It truly breaks our heart to read such non-sense. Some schools and teachers can careless about their students and/or progress, yet here we not only have a great school, but Mr. C is AMAZING! He not only encourages sportsmanship, but he spent his OWN time promoting Rugby and the BE KIND program, which was beneficial for the kids, but you just can't please everyone. We appreciate you Mr. C, and remember that your hard work and passion shines through. ~Morris and Tiffany Lambert

Posted August 30, 2013
My daughter is in Mr. C's class and he is a wonderful teacher and role model for the kids. I am a military single dad and I have been back here in Las Vegas for the past two years and I have had plenty of opportunity to volunteer with Mr. C's class and I have taken each and every opportunity given to me to assist in the class room and on field trips. The Staff at Derfelt has been awesome also. I am not getting paid to write any of this (in case any one is wondering) and I know for a fact Mr.C does not profit in any way from any of the rugby clinics. I am thankful my daughter has such a supportive teacher and staff at Derfelt. I would like to personally give a BIG THANK YOU to Mr.C, Mrs. Carroll, Mrs. McCrossan, Mr. Mingo and the rest of the Derfelt staff. This post was done by Zain Burke--- If your brave enough to write it or say it, Please put your name on it. Thank you

Herbert A Derfelt Elementary School
1900 South Lisa Ln, Las Vegas, NV  89117
Last modified Herbert A Derfelt Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Herbert A Derfelt Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top