Cimarron Memorial High School

Public | 9-12

Posted Tuesday, September 9, 2014

This is the absolute definition of a prison. So many restrictions so many punishments and bad kids and teachers and overall this school absolutely sucks. This is the worst school in Las Vegas. I got in trouble for a health condition and they tried to give me detention for FAINTING in class. The teachers don't care about the students and the staff is ridiculous they don't care about the students at all. worst school ever!

Posted April 19, 2014

My school is great. You have nice teachers and staff. I am Freshman going to be a sophomore next year. Teachers and staff are great with some students. I like some of my teachers.

Posted April 15, 2014

I used to go here in for one year only, and I must say it was a horrible experience. When I was bullied, no one did anything about it, when a special ed student was being constantly harassed, they let it slide, and when I had some headphones confiscated, I never got them back on the last day of school. Teachers didn't seem to care at all, either.

Posted April 15, 2014

Cimarron is in transition and I have had nothing but positive experiences with staff, teachers and administrators. When my son has a problem, and I tell the school, it is addressed quickly and in the most professional manner. The employees there are hard working and dedicated. My son is not some cherished athlete or sought after demographic. He is one of over 2600 students which have the privilege of attending this school. for that, I am grateful.

Posted January 14, 2014

I am a sophomore at this school and I honestly dread coming half the time. Maybe it's our school system in general but I feel as if I am being herded like a sheep. I do have a few good, caring teachers but I feel as if half the time I'm basically being told to sit down and shut up. Many of the students here simply don't care about their education and act as if they have something to prove to teachers. I recently tried discussing this with my U.S. History teacher and just when i thought it was going somewhere, he began to blame a liberal society and the students for the way Cimarron is. I laughed at him as he said it considering how ridiculous he sounded, but thinking back on what he said it is extremely sad, a school who blames it's poor performance on the students. Clearly this school needs to focus on a new approach on educating students rather than all of it's focus going toward football season. Your job is to teach and find ways to approach a student in ways they can relate and understand, not blame them for being "unteachable". I'm glad to say I will be un-enrolling from this dreadful school at the closing of this semester and enrolling in virtual high school.

Posted September 2, 2013

This will be my third year at Cimarron, currently a junior. I've read some of the reviews, I personally don't understand why so many students feel the need to bash this school so much; ethnicity and race should have nothing to do with it. So many of them are saying they aren't getting the attention or classes they deserve when they can so easily contact the counselors we have to get it all settled. I'm currently on the "higher" side of the educations with Honors and AP classes. I always had to meet with my counselor to get to where I am now. They shouldn't be blaming the staff; they do the best they can to accommodate us. The staff really helps to please the student, if you just ask for what you need politely. This school is really diverse and not as bad as people love to say. My siblings have gone here before me, way back when it was a block schedule school. We haven't had any issues. I'm tired of students blaming the teachers/staff for their issues. If you really want something done, you can always make it happen, no matter what. I've had the opportunity to go to my zoned school, but I stayed at Cimarron. I'm proud to represent this school as a Spartan.

Posted August 8, 2013

I have gone to cimarron for 3 years and this year I will graduate from this awesome school. There are some students that have been reviewing cimarron as a bad school but the truth is that it is a great school. This school is full of activities that students can join, if you don't feel noticed by the staff you are the one that isn't making yourself noticed. Don't blame the school for your problems. Of course you get noticed more if you play sports you represent the school, you should be recognized.

Posted December 29, 2012

Yeah at CMHS, Commitment Motivation Honor and Success. A motto full of lies. I am a junior at this school and it is a horrible, terrible, just a bad place to be. Unless you are of other ethnicities or a white sports player you get no attention in this school. The staff isn't helpful and I only have a few favorite teachers. I'm always been that quiet child in class, I struggle with math and even have a dyslexia, but no teacher helps me, they tell me to figure it out for myself. I am an English wiz, but I have not gotten an honors class that I deserve! I qualify and ask but since I am a white non-athlete I do not get my class I deserve. My boyfriend is Mexican and he got an honors class even though his grades do not qualify. I'm just absolutely fed up with this school! I never ditch class, I keep up on my work and never misbehave but that's my punishment for not qualifying for the staff to care. Even Hispanics get a test where if they do good they can get an extra 4 credits! Not fair! Like I've said, if you are white and go to this school then join football or baseball, or if you are a girl, cheerleading or you have no chance because grades don't matter at a school! Just rich kids.

Posted August 14, 2012

I go to cmhs. Ive gone here all 3 high school year and im going there for my 4th year now... All i can say is that I hate this school so very much the teachers and staff do dont care about any of the kids. Some staff and teachers have thier fav students and thats not fair to the reason of us that go there.. Whn something bad happeneds the staff that works in the main office and the deans office do not really care when you have a promble with a teacher they do not do anythig to try and help you, I have a promble with reading my teacher made me read out loud and i keeped massing up people made fun of me and the teacher did noting just said no one was making fun of me i talked to alot of the staff and they didnt do anything they keeped me in the class with kids that made fun of me. I dont not like this school and if i could change schools i would but i cant!!

Posted April 24, 2012

I just enrolled my son at this school and let me just say that I am not impressed whatsoever! The staff was discourteous and seemed to not want to be there. The school more resembled a juvenile hall or prison than an institution of learning! There is only one word I can use to describe the school, "Ghetto!" I wish I had done my research on the schools prior to relocating to Las Vegas because I certainly would have stayed out of this particular school!

Posted February 23, 2012

I attended this school for a short amount of time. It was my third high school. The administration tries hard to keep things under control, but there is pressure to be a certain kind of person to impress or fit in with your peers. The kids who go to this school are the ones who reflect the school's worth. It isn't the school's fault that bad things happen within the student body. Some students are just a little troubled. To be plain, it is at or below the average of schools in the United States.

Posted July 20, 2011

My kids are in AP classes and athletics - their experience has been very good. The new principle (2011) is highly motivated to improve the school. I am an involved parent, and I know a lot other involved parents. That really helps, get to know the teachers, the counselors and the principle.

Posted August 21, 2010

This school has a lot of violence and the staff are extremely unhelpful I do not recommend going here I'm trying my best to get out.

Posted April 19, 2010

I attended this school from 2004-2008. I found this school to be such a help for preparing for college. I attend University of Washington now which is a very competitive school and Cimarron really helped me get reading for the work load at College in the AP and Honor classes. Sure it could be easy to get into bad things at CMHS but that goes for ANY high school. I had tons of friends who were just like me and weren't involved in any drug use or anything like that. It's a great sport school! Lots of good teams that makes all the other high schools jealous, which is really fun for friendly competition! I loved being a Spartan and think its a great school!

Posted March 10, 2010

There is alot of kids at this school so you have alot of friends. But, there is always fights in the hall way and even sometimes in class. And there is a park next to the school and there is a lot of drug use there. Anything other than that its a pretty good school.

Posted March 26, 2009

I'm a new freshman at CMHS, by new i mean new to the state. Originally CA. and its been really difficult meeting new people and the school wasn't as welcoming as i wished it would have. Its seems like a good school but needs some getting used too :/

Posted October 3, 2008

I'm a senior this year and I LOVE this school. I've attended CMHS since freshman year and I'm so extremely happy with the way the school is run. Money is a little tight right now but everything is still moving forward. The teachers are very responsive and the counselors are helpful.

Posted September 5, 2008

I attended Cimarron from 2000 -2004. When i was there Cimarron was really the most awesome school. Just like any other HS, lots of cliques, drama. everything a teenager could want. I had alot of fun there i made alot of friends, and liked most of my teachers! go figure. I would totally suggest this school. There is so much diversity in that school now more than when i attended. And no teacher will single one out unless there is reason to be singled out trust me on that. Our sports teams were pretty good too. if you can still find these teachers i would also suggest putting your student in the class, choir is a good one, theatre, Mr Nelson for Soc. and Psych. Mrs Holland Mrs Pastore, Mr Mullen, these are great teachers. Best school eva.

Posted August 4, 2008

I love this school! I stay afterschool all the time and the teachers are amazing, plus nothing bad ever happens and this school becuase of great hall monitors!

Posted April 24, 2008

I attend CMHS now and i am a spiritleader, in several organizations, and an honor student. and all i can say is overall this school is HORRIBLE! There are few teachers that actually care for their students and plenty that u should watch out for. as for administration, that is the worst part of everything there. they dont care about any of the students, they play favorites, and they make decisions that will affect everyone without consulting the wishes of the teachers, staff, parents, and students. If u do not fit the bill for what they want, expect the worst. they will try to get u into trouble any possible way. It is hard to have any school spirit when they give u no reason. the only good thing about CMHS is our sports and robotics team. and this year, and those r even starting to fail.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

576 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2013.

583 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

576 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2013.

580 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the High School Proficiency Examination (HSPE) to assess high school students in reading, writing, math and science. The HSPE is a high school graduation requirement. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Students with limited English proficiency26%
Proficient in English80%
Not migrant78%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 64%N/A54%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Special education coordinator
  • Tutor(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields