Dean Lamar Allen Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted August 17, 2014

My two children enrolled at Dean Allen last year and will remain until they graduate to middle school. We were extremely pleased with the school's community feel. The kids' teachers were excellent and really got to know and understand their personalities and learning styles. We think the principal is excellent -- not only did I see her at every single event I attended, but the one time I met with her individually I found her to be a fantastic advocate for my child. The new GATE teacher (started in 2013) is EXCELLENT. I hear raves about him from parents in every grade level he teaches (3-5), and my kids loved his lessons. Of course no place is perfect and we do wish some of the teachers would ramp it up in math and that there were more options for recess play (there's no soccer!). But overall we are very happy and supportive of the school, it's administration and teachers, and yes, even the personable and always-on-watch janitor!

Posted April 23, 2014

It is just a shame that there are individuals who write inaccurate information about our school, Dean Allen. I have been through all administrations at Dean Allen and have such a warm feeling about each and every Principal who has been at the helm of our school. It is true that there is different leadership styles. This doesn't make for a bad family environment. It has been my honor to be a part of one of the best schools in our school district. Our current principal is the most magnificent individual. She is loving, caring, fair and always available. I recommend for anyone who has issues with our school to address your concerns with our current administration and see how available she is to you before you decide to write your thoughts here. If you have issues with others i.e. office staff, teachers, or any other support staff please give the principal the opportunity to address your concerns. You will find her quite capable of making decisions in the best interest of our children who are our No. 1 priority at Dean Allen.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 23, 2014

Three of my children attended Dean Allen. They have all graduated from there so I do not know the current principal, but I have heard wonderful things about her from friends. The office staff is the same now that were there for the majority of the nine years my children went there. They are all very hard working and put the students' needs first. The custodian has been there forever. His always positive attitude is so wonderful, for the students, teachers and the parents. My children and I have so many wonderful memories from those precious years. We are so thankful we moved to that area of town.

Posted April 23, 2014

It's interesting to note that most often, the people who leave negative comments or give negative feedback are the ones with complaints. As a teacher fortunate enough to call Dean Allen my home, I concur with those who hold my school in the highest regard. Our current principal is not only a visible presence on campus, she a shining example of how to work collaboratively! I am blessed to gave worked with our previous principal and honored to work with Mrs. F. We expect excellence from our students and ourselves...and we deliver! Come visit and see!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 6, 2014

For my child Kindergarten through 4th grade had a wonderful principle and the energy of the school was a happy fun time! It seemed like one big family. The principle was always available and willing to speak with you. This year the new principle is really not visible, she does the pledge in the AM super super super fast. I saw her briefly at one function. The school now seems like every other school around. Go to school...Go home...like SouthWest airlines, shuttle them in shuttle them out. No personalization.....This school was set up by prior individuals to BE SUCCESSFUL and it is....Everything in place was set prior. My child's class IS AMAZING! Her teacher is AMAZING!! Her art teacher is AMAZING...PE AMAZING...great group of people. As far as the Janitor...having seen him for 6 years now...he patrols this school like a bull dog...no one gets on campus without him on them that quick! He runs a tight ship....I have never seen him play with any children in all the years there. Just my opinion.

Posted March 5, 2014

Dean Allen elementary school,this is a great school, i have 2 kids , they graduated from here,and 1 is still here, and i come often during lunch, that area looks bad there is two much clutter ,and i see the janitor, talking with the kids, teasing them, jockyng with them , and does not do is work, i dont like the janitor playing with the kids, specially with girls.. be careful with this guy, I been watching him, (lawsuit), I have seen this long enough and cant stand it.. other than that the school is good, office staff, and principal...

Posted October 9, 2013

My two grandchildren attend Dean Lamar Allen Elementary School in the third and first grades. They have been there for all the years they have been in school so far. The teachers are a huge asset to Dean Allen, and we have yet to find a teacher that isn't productive with our kids. They seem to know how to bring the best out in both of them. When problems have come up, teachers, and other school officials are quick to notify parents, and get involved in achieving a resolution. They have e-mails that go to the parents, and I (if I chose to do so) could also e-mail their teachers, however I know that my daughter uses this way of locating and contacting each of the teachers. They have many productive after-school programs for the kids, and encourage development of core curriculum between grade levels. The school was named after their great grandfather, and my grandchildren mention that they are happy to go to a school that carries him name! Thank you, Madalene Munford

Posted June 6, 2012

My daughter loves Dean Allen. There is no prejudice at this school. I am a minority and I love this school. The office staff has never been anything but professional. Mr. Prince is a prince of a principal. My neighbor is a teacher here. Her children have all gone to Dean Allen and they are now all honor roll students in junior high. I have friends who have gone through open enrollment and gotten zone variances to be at this school. The PTO and parent involment is wonderful. This school does so much for the students. My daughter is reading two grade levels above her grade. This school still has music, art, and PE on top of their excellent academic cirriculum. Perhaps sometimes people perceive rudeness when it is not actually the case. If they are going into the office and being demanding during a peak time, they probably need to be patient with the staff and not think that they are not being immediately helped because they are a minority. And perhaps parents should not air their dirty laundry in the first place so that it is not brought up in front of others. Ultimately, Dean Allen is a wonderful school.

Posted April 4, 2012

I found the school itself to be acceptable but the office staff were outstandingly rude; to the point that I had to complain to the principal. I made a change for my children and they are doing much better at another school this year.

Posted September 12, 2010

The teacher and principal so far has been doing great, no complaints for now BUT, some staff from the front desk/information are rude and obnoxious! It seems there are some staff there that are prejudist/racist. When they look at me ,(I'm not "white" they seem not to see me, but if it's my husband ,he's white, they talk to him! So i don't go out my way and deal with the front desk and some teachers(white). Also those in cafeteria can be a little rude...

Posted May 24, 2010

How can a very decent school continue to suffer with arrrogant, unqualified comments from Barbara Randell? She is a clerk, not an educator, and I am tired of tolerating her behavior to avoid rocking the boat for my child. Enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted October 5, 2009

The entire staff cares about all the students. They make the school safe and fun.

Posted March 12, 2009

We are very happy at Dean Allen. The teachers are amazing and the kids have many opportunities to excel at extra programs the school offers. It does seem that parent involvement has weined off a bit this year though.

Posted February 6, 2009

The teachers are very good and take a persoanl approach to teaching. My son is in his second year and so far not too many problems. As others have stated the office staff is very snobby and make it feel like you are always bothering them. Mr. Prince is a push over. He needs to be more stand up. I had one issue with him and he caved in WAY too easy. Other than that we love the teachers.

Posted July 14, 2008

We have lived in Las Vegas for 6 yrs this is the first year that my daughter and stepson have went to Dean Allen and we love it! I am sad that this year my daughter has to go to middle school.This school is by far the best in Vegas. Mr. Prince, the principal ,treats each of these kids like his very own. We adore him and the staff!

Posted March 14, 2008

I agree with anyone saying that Dean Allen is a great school but the office staff is condescending. I recently worked at the school as a substitute and although some of the office staff felt that they were helpful, they lack of tact and diplomacy. My advice to the staff: Dean Allen is not New York City's Brearley and Buckley School.

Posted March 13, 2008

This used to be a good school before Mr. Prince took over. He is only interested in your children as long as it benefits him in some way. The office staff is usually unfriendly, which is a direct result of the atmosphere set up by the principal. The only reason this school makes AYP is because of the supportive parents.

Posted January 31, 2008

Dean Allen is a great school. The teachers are great for the most part. The office staff act like they are doing you a favor when you show up.

Posted September 5, 2007

I love the school teachers here are great and my girls love them but when it does come to the office staff I must say maybe they need to learn some manners. I would think that you would work in a place that you enjoy if not find something else to do and don't take it out on us..

Posted August 23, 2004

dean allen is a school that has a very poor office staff who are rude and always confused. always be prepared to be over looked and talked to in a subjective tone, and never get a response without loosing time from work. the teachers however seem to know what they are doing and do a good job.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the Criterion Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The CRT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 61% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 44% in 2011.

100 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students86%

Students without disabilities86%
Proficient in English82%
Not migrant82%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students85%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 20%N/A54%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

8680 West Hammer Ln