Palo Verde High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 2803 students

Sweep tile

Posted yesterday

The staff at Palo Verde High School is extremely rude. They need to be taught how to be polite and deal with students and parents. They are several complaints about this high school and believe me they are all TRUE. I truly regret transferring my kid to this school.

Posted March 2, 2014

I hate this school, i just came here from another school, and Palo Verde wasnt welcoming at all. If you're not rich nobody cares about you. They only care about their football team. I do not like it and wish to transfer. The teachers are okay but when i have difficulties they just tell me to "look at my notes" before Palo i attended Cimarron and I loved it! I really want to leave Palo.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 12, 2014

Palo Verde is mediocre at best. Don't expect quality teaching unless your child is enrolled in honors or AP classes. This isn't so much the high school's fault as it is the state's and government's. The school is full of cliques, making every teenage soul in that school feel more alienated than ever. The student parking lot is filled with more expensive cars than the teachers' parking lot. The staff is fine. The student body, however, is horrible. Some of the staff will rub elbows with the richer students, often overlooking broken rules or truancy as long as the students bring them Starbucks. It's a typical mediocre school in the middle of the God forsaken desert. The rich reign supreme while the rest fall in the shadows. Honors and AP teachers are often *fantastic*, willing to speak openly with their students and challenge them. Honors and AP appears to be the "average" class. Anything below is deemed "stupid" by the students. Las Vegas is a horrible place to raise children. If it weren't for Lake Mead, the city wouldn't exist. If you can, keep children OUT of this city, before they get stuck in UNLV, University of Never Leaving Vegas.

Posted October 18, 2013

I have a Junior and a Freshman at PV. We recently moved here, and come from a VERY successful and high ranking school district. While our past school ranked MUCH higher than PV, we chose PV because of their AP Course availability, test scores, etc. They have a nice campus. They have the rudest and most unfriendly staff I have ever encountered!! We have found LV to be so friendly and welcoming so the school staff attitude is really sad! They also have HORRIBLE to NO communication with regards to campus safety, etc. (campus bullying incidents, campus lockdowns, the lockdowns were due to off campus incidents). This school has made great strides in academia, I compliment them for that... BUT there is more to being a GREAT school than that! We are looking at other options for our kids because the minus' far out weigh the pluses here... there are other places to get a great education that have a friendly and helpful staff where a parent can feel confident their children are safe. I would be mortified if I saw my child treat someone the way their admin staff treats people! Preference and effort is given to those who can be added to their wall of fame.. the rest are tossed aside.

Posted September 26, 2013

My 11th grade son just started Palo this year after moving from another state where he attended a school in one of the best school districts in the US. (Parent job transfer). I have not yet formed an opinion, as it's a bit early in the year, but we chose Palo because of it's past scores and reputation. Definitely a BIG school and wish they had a better on-boarding system in place for the "new" kids. Maybe set them up with both an adult AND a student "mentor" or something? Make the transition more smooth for a kid, as this is their life! A mom can only do so much. I realize LV is a very transient town, but this is the first move for my family and want it to be perfect.

Posted September 10, 2013

I am currently a freshman at palo verde and it is not as bad as these review are saying it is. It is true that there are a lot of rich kids but would you rather be with rich kids or poor kids? I am not a rich kid nor a skinny tall blond girl like the magority of the school but I am not judged. The people are actually nice you just need to be social able. this school is one of the best schools in Las Vegas. The only concern you really need to have is not to fall down the stairs because it happens :)

Posted July 4, 2013

This school is not all its cracked up to be. I went there for 4 years and graduated and it was not the best. The administration is pretty rude especially the hall monitors. They take such joy in stalking kids in hallways taking away phones left and right. Its like a game to them. Some of the coaches are jerks too. Nicholas Meis for example, (the cross country coach) is a total jerk. Worst coach Ive ever had in my high school life. What high school coach demeans his team and never gives any credit? Its awful. Also, if you ever have an issue with a teacher or coach and try to bring it to the principal with or as a parent they do absolutely nothing. Even if it involved a teacher telling a student they are worthless or cursing at them. The kids are a wide mix there are a lot of druggies and alcoholics as youll find anywhere and theres also the preppy popular morman clicks and such. I would definitely not reccomend this school unless its an absolute last resort type of situation.

Posted March 3, 2013

Palo Verde is indeed a wonderful school and provides resources for students. However, they do make it seem like athletic and sport reputation is more important than the academic aspect. Although, this is probably not true many students would definitely agree that this is the case. This school does contain disrespectful students just like any other school. However, schools in areas such at SW region have more respect amongst peers and teachers. Therefore, students in Summerlin tend to be uptight and snobby but this doesn't apply to everyone. Palo Verde has excellent teachers and challenging academic programs.

Posted February 28, 2013

We are a military family and my daughter attended Palo for a year while we were stationed there. I found that with anything, even high school, it is mostly what you make it. The resources are all there.. academics, athletics, extracurricular clubs, music, fine teachers and administrators, etc.. Yes.. there are some financially privileged kids that go to this school, (as well as a number of private schools within 5-10 miles of Palo)..that's because the Summerlin area does attract some very successful professional people that settle there. Some may be 'snotty', and some are wonderful welcoming people. Don't expect the school and teachers to do everything for you. Take some personal responsibility for making your own way, honestly and with a positive attitude. My daughter is in college now after attending four different high schools. She gained lasting knowledge, learned valuable life lessons, and made wonderful friends at all four schools. Palo is one of the best schools that Las Vegas has to offer. There are others as well, but they ALL will have great things, and some not so great things. Palo definitely has more of the great things. Make your own way people.

Posted February 3, 2013

This school is terrible.They care more about their athletics/sport reputation than students education. I started school here in February 2012. Today is February 2013. I'm a junior at this school now and would do absolutely anything to go back to my school in California. My first day here I was treated badly by my counselor being told that my transcripts were horrible which made me feel disrespected. Also whenever I would walk to class I would have classmates giving me dirty looks. The school contains many snotty rich kids who believe they are better than everyone. The staff is also very rude and bias about many situations. It's extremely hard to make friend here. I'm very easy to get along with and had many friends at my old school but here, I've only made 1 friend and I've been here for a year.There is also a lot of bullying. This school is so bad I can honestly care less about graduating. It's hard to do well in school when you are surround by students who think they are better than everyone and wont take a chance to meet other people. I wouldn't recommend parents to send they kids at this school. It's been the worst experience I've had in my 17 years of living.

Posted September 11, 2012

I had an issue at the school my sons freshman year, but we met with a dean who listened and communicated with my husband and I. The issue was resolved and I was very pleased with the professionalism. My son is now a Junior and I have to say that this school's teachers, coaches and administration have helped to grow him (and grow my daughter) into responsible students. The JR ROTC program has been an AMAZING program for my son and my daughter. My only daughter is a new freshman. I had no fear to but her into this school. I trust this school with my children and I am very pleased with Palo! I love watching my children grow, learn and change because of this "great" school.

Posted September 1, 2012

A big majority of this school contains rich,rude,nasty snobs who are disrespectful to their peers and the teachers! I have seen bullying countless times at this school and nothing is ever done about it! If you are not rich and beautiful then expect to be bullied it is so sad that this happens. Not to mention the Deans who yell at you for everything, they stand outside of your bus and watch as you get off to see if your dress coded and if you are they will literally run after you to get you they also dress code you even when you aren't! (No joke this happened to me 2 days ago). This school is horrible and you if you are thinking about sending your child here I suggest you rethink your plans and send them somewhere else

Posted June 19, 2012

after reading these reviews all i can say is i have o 1 child currently attending and a second starting this august, both my children came from private schools and i was very apprehensive about sending them to public especially since vegas has 1 of the worst public school systems in the country, but i did my research spoke with many people and in my opinion , Palo is 1 of the few quality high schools in vegas !!! My child did well both years and enjoys the teachers, grades were NOT an issue my child finished both years with straight As.... remember kids gotta put in the work to get the benefits, so if your child is not doing HW not applying themselves then of course they will NOT do well and this applys to any school anywhere !!! Kids even flunk out of the best schools in the country...it is ultimately up to them either they sink or swim!!!!

Posted June 5, 2012

The jury is still out on this one, we will see how the year finishes!

Posted February 15, 2012

Honestly after reading through these past few reviews there is a common theme. Yet, I see no inclination from these parents on what they did. Any school with 3000+ students can't give your child any special attention unless they ask. I've sent 3 kids through this school as well from 2000-2012 and it has been the best for not only them but myself as well. Palo Verde has had and still has an amazing staff and administration. They do not care only about the sports but they care about the academics, and arts as well. Why do you think they consistently score in the top 3 comprehensive schools year in and year out on AP Exams, Proficiency tests, and the ACT and SAT in terms of passing rates. They also have one of the highest earned scholarship monies every single year. Their matriculation of their graduating classes has more students going to college than every school in CCSD. They have the highest percentage of students involved in activities, clubs, and sports. Honestly, there are some 'bad mouthers' looking to rant when they didn't do much. This school has been wonderful, all 3 of my children are in college (USC, UCSB, and one going to BYU. I highly recommend this school.

Posted January 27, 2012

Palo's ok. It's a good school, but I wouldn't say its FABULOUS. The performing arts programs (or-the orchestra one, at least) lack, but Palo has a lot of good people there.

Posted January 11, 2012

As stated before, rich little snotty brats everywhere. Why are they still in school? Because the school is financially supported by them. Bribery, blackmail, you name it. Send your kids to one of the several magnet schools instead, where they may find great career opportunities and find out what they truly love. But, if you have a lot of money, and your kids just going to be a brat and inherit it, then be my guest and send to to this poor, pathetic excuse of a school.

Posted December 27, 2011

I agree! Palo is very over rated. I had 3 students atending there. First time my oil and water kids all agreed. Didn't realize how bad it was till I transferred them to Centennial where they not only spoke "with" me but also my teens. They all walked away feeling like people. Now they are even liking their teachers.

Posted November 18, 2011

Palo Verde Is in my opinion an over rated, over indulgent school.. They care little for the students that aren't the top 1%, If your child's parent isn't on the board or associate with their friends stay away. Your child no matter how smart, gifted or talented his education and attention from teacher with lack. I f your child needs extra help to succeed they wont help unless you flag him as an IEP, student which lowers your chances of getting into any college... Palo Verde is full of rich kids gangs (not your typical high school clicks) that torment and abuse there privileges as they know they will not be held accountable for there actions! Drugs and kids doping out as they aren't the 1% who Palo Verde feels matters!!! No wonder there able to say the have a high success rate they get rid of any child who doesn't fit their ideal.... It is truly a sad situation...

Posted June 24, 2011

This school cares more about athletics than the student body. If you aren't a football player or a cheerleader, you are treated like dirt. If you are, than you are given special attention and privileges. I have been dress coded for wearing my brothers baseball jersey with the number 13 on it. I had to change and missed two periods because they would not supply me with an extra shirt, so my mom who had a doctors appointment that day had to bring me one. Our quarterback Chassion Presscott is allowed to have the number 13 on his football jersey but I can't? Also I have seen my friends get dress coded before they could even get out of their cars. The worst campus monitors in the world dress code people for the stupidest and most ridiculous things. My friends have gotten dress coded for having skirts that are too short, but when you look at the cheerleaders, their butts are hanging out. Do they ever get dress coded? No. The favoritism at this school is ridiculous. If your child is not athletically inclined, do not send them here.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

617 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2013.

616 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

612 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2013.

615 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the High School Proficiency Examination (HSPE) to assess high school students in reading, writing, math and science. The HSPE is a high school graduation requirement. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Students without disabilities93%
Proficient in English92%
Not migrant90%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Asian 8% 6%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 21%N/A50%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Fax number
  • (702) 799-1455

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Library
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Sports

• Band
  • Choir / Chorus
  • Orchestra
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

333 South Pavilion Center Dr