Bad
Good

My son likes his teacher he said she is super nice .that's enough for me

I was a student at Doris Hancock starting more than 20 years ago.I currently have 2 children attending. We all have participated in many traditional school functions which my children and i greatly enjoy ..BUT what is going on with the teachers not completing the obligation of an entire year? Both my children have had 2 to 3 different teachers in one school year..this is something that confuses me ,in my opinion my children are not getting the best education possible. ..my children are suffering. .. how can a child establish a bond or trust in a teacher if they keep switching all different types of teacher's and routines each teacher has? Some kids start to learn something new with one teacher's styles and then switch teachers who force them to learn another way.. can someone explain the reason for multiple teacher syndromes?

My son has attended Hancock for 3 years. He is the reason why we still live here. He loves the school & I love the teachers. My son has needs that requires a special kind of teacher and I am proud to say; he has had 3 of the best.

I must say how disappointed I am in what this school has to offer for the students. My child on daily basis gets thrown into subjects and sent home with a grip of homework. Half the homework he does come home with, is some print out from website with no actual instructions for parents to follow. They continue to pressure the children into thinking that it is there fault that this school is turn around. They cater a lot to the Hispanic students which is not bad at all but they disregard the students who speak English. Its a mad house there. Things are never in order. None of the staff seem to be on the same page when it comes to providing information. For turn around school, they do not offer much assistance as far as tutoring, extra school work assistance.

My 8 and 9 year old has been going to this school for awhile now. The education that the student receive at this school is ok. The classes are overcrowded and teachers are not able to handle that amount of stress. Half way through this school year about 3 to 4 teachers quit. what does that tell you? More improvement needs to be done at this school. And why does our kids have to come home with 6 to 8 pages of homework every night? it is ridiculous at times. I hope to see changes soon with this school.

This is not a good school. My kids hate going there. I've also had problems with the counselor Ms. Eliott. She plays favorites with some of the students and she is very hateful towards others. She made hateful comments about my child to another parent not knowing that parent and I were friends. She needs to go. I can't believe a counselor would talk about a student to another parent.

I am finally pulling my daughter out of Hancock Elementary because it has become so horrible. The principal has cancelled all specials EVEN PE forcing students to go to the computer lab to work on skills. Students sit all day long with no movement, no fun, and utter confusion as to what is expected from them. Teachers have complained that they have no freedom to teach how they want due to the overcontrolling principal. Isn't it illegal to not allow children to have PE??? The principal cut the art program this year. Social studies and science are not taught at all. The students do worksheets all day long. Horrible, horrible school. Yes, kids can pass a test, but they have not learned anything other than test taking skills. Beware.

Terrible school.My son is getting transferred (thank God!) to Griffin E.S after 4 years @ Hancock Because is a turnaround school,they made drastically changes that are totally wrong. They make the kids line up way in the back of the school,have. P.e at 2.45 pm wiith 106 degrees .....they are forced to do push ups ,jump rope and run .....and when they are exausted they need to request permission for standing in the "shade". The teachers,office staff and pretty much everyone is new ,and won't respect or addressed any situation .....they just simply don't care. Comunication with teachers is extremely poor. Everyone is so busy controlling time,mentioning every single regulations that they totally forgot what a school should be:.a safe and happy atmospherewhile our kids can learn with a HUMAN touch and caring for the little ones.... Don't take your kids there,you will regret it.

This is an incredible school they have a lot of activities for the kids and are so helpful , the teacher is so nice and challenge the kids to improve my daughter is so happy and that's make me happy too.

My son goes to school at Hancock Elementary. I am very impressed with family night activities here. The staff goes out of their way to try to include parents in the school. As for my son's education, the teachers that he has had have used differentiated instruction. (They had to explained to me what that means....) That means they are teaching my son at his level and closely monitor his level to make sure he is learning at his instructional level (not his independent level or frustrational level). They do this for every child in the classroom!!! In fact, his teachers have been very good at explaining what occurs in the classroom and how well my son is progressing. I am very impressed with this school and plan to make sure he stays until 5th grade.

Last modified Doris Hancock Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.