Frank F Garside Junior High School

Public | 6-8 | 1114 students

Posted June 4, 2014

This.school is the worst school in all of Nevada !!!! This school should be closed down ASAP ... Kids at this school are so horrible. Teachers and the Dean are even worse, my kids were even scared to go to school. I'm relocating so the kids do not have to attend this school next year!!!!! If this school is open next year they should invest in metal detectors instead of a pool. Take my word! The only person that is amazing there is the office manager. She would do better at a.different school she should transfer! I would give no star's!!!

Posted February 25, 2014

The worst of the worst. They are more concerned with suspending students for three days or more because their jacket is not the appropriate shade of blue. I actually had to relocate my family to get them out of this school. My daughter was honor roll and in accelerated classes until I put her in int Garside. When she left,.. she had C and D's. My son hated it so much that I had to put him into the online shool program, When that didn't work, I ended up putting him back into Garside. When we left, he had D and F's. The Staff seems to take on no responsbility to the education of their students. It seems like most of them are there just to punch the clock and collect their paycheck. One Cold Rainy Afternoon, I had to give my daughter a different coat because she was catching a cold and the zipper had broken on her Dress Code Jacket. As soon as she came to school she was suspended. This is a low income area,.most of these children can't afford the appropriate clothes. If a child gets too many dress code violations, they are sent to behavior school. To All Parents.This school is terrible... "Avoid It If You Can"...!! We are now at Canarelli, A 5 Star School and the kids are doing well

Posted October 15, 2013

This school is TERRIBLE. Pretty much ALL of my former teachers (I spent one year there and then I switched schools because I couldn't take it anymore) had no idea what they were doing and would show and even say that they were only there for a paycheck. They didn't care about anything going on in their classrooms. The environment is terrible. Students are disruptive and very unruly and walking through the actual school is like walking around a prison and I'm not even exaggerating. The bullying problem is unbelievable and no one does anything about it. If you care about your children's education and well being at all, DO NOT send them to Garside. I would rate zero stars if I could.

Posted August 29, 2013

I am a student from Garside Junior high school.I had been there for 1 year.I got so many memory from there.I made a lot friends,they are very nice to me.Also the ipad program are help me a lot from my homework.I got straight A's for my whole school year.There have G square program,there have bell choir,there have dance team.I love the way Garside look like.Is my favorite school!!! There have no racism at all,maybe there is a lot Hispanic but who care,at least u can have a good middle school life in there.I love Garside,and I wish I can go back there as an volunteer one day.:)

Posted October 30, 2012

Frank Garside has no viable approach to Bullying. My Granddaughter has loved school since she started. Until she supposedly broke the unwritten law of NO SNITCHING. She was being bullied and it wasn't even her who contacted the authorities. It was another concerned adult. I am almost 60 years old and can't walk past that school without hearing the most vulgar insults I've ever heard a young person say. We have met w/ the principle , vice principle and dean of students. TO NO AVAIL. They say this is not a dangerous proble. MY daughter took my granddaughter to her parent-teacher conference , She was met outside by not only the bullies and their friends But also the adult sister of one of the students who brought along her own two young babies in a stroller to watch this fight or whatever was suppose to happen that day. The authorities that be said they took statements from the people involved . To my surprise the bullies statements matched, All 12 of them. The 3 that didn't were deemed misleading. Last week the school called us at home and asked us to pick her up for her own safety. she is scared to go to school.13 yrs.old and can't go to school

Posted August 29, 2009

Garside is a very kewl school. we get to do alot of things like dances, basketball games, and feild trips. you can join diffrent clubs like the girls or boys basketball team, band, orchestra, choir, the cheerleading team, or just do what i do and join the Dance Tem!!! im a 8th grader this year and im not even sure i want to go to high skewl because of how much fun it is at garside! I Love Ya GDT 09' 4 Life!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted August 21, 2009

Garside was a great school and made me a better person... I played on the basketball team and the coaches were great, send your child there and you won't regret it.

Posted June 3, 2009

I am a former student at Garside, now attending Bonanza High.i do agree with some of the comments, for example, the root of discipline is at home. my parents have high expectations for me and i attempt to fulfill them. Yes, Garside has a bad reputation of a 'ghetto, bad school', but what makes people think that is the reflection on the student's personal image and because the school is an old building. Many programs there are not great, for example the band, i blame most of it on the teacher, Mr. Howley, he does not know how to teach for the success of the student and the program alone, yet their Orchestra has had much success with Mrs. Wood. They need teachers that are hard working and ENCOURAGING in a good way for a good view on every part of the school.

Posted November 2, 2007

I'm a former student now attending Western High, Garside was a pretty cool school. The staff was overly discipling with the students you really couldn't do much without getting in trouble. They stick the kids in classes they didn't want to be in and there basically stuck in there wasting there time when they could be doing something they enjoy.The teachers are way better then the staff in my opinion. Espically Mr.Brody the 8th grade world geography teacher. He made school really fun. Garside is a good school not ghetto at all i enjoyed my 3 years. at that school. They just need to lighten up on the dress code.

Posted October 27, 2007

I am a student at Garside, and I have just started at seventh grade here, and I am loving it so far. I have very excellent teachers, a very good principal, and an overall great school experience. I have not experienced anything yet that would tell me that this is a bad school. It is a very, very good school, and I, personally, would not have it any other way.

Posted October 11, 2007

I am also a student at garside. I enjoy it for the most part. I don't agree with out new lockers. Other than that, Garside is pretty good. We have great faculty, and marvoulous teachers. Thanks =)

Posted June 10, 2007

Great School.....Great Teachers

Posted April 25, 2007

I am a student who goes to garside. I think its a great school. The teachers are great and are nice. Sometimes the staff is overly disciplining. They are great though. I love garside :]

Posted April 2, 2005

I am a student at Garside. I want to say that it is not what I expected. They lost important paperwork, they throw people into classes that they didn't want, they have kids trek around the entire campus next to a busy street, they do not inform teachers of our new dress attire that much (they dont't get descriptive with the attire towards teachers), they have a low budget for teachers (my teacher ran out of paper so I couldn't take a test, which put a 0 in her grade book), and they only have 2 deans, 2 campus moniters, and a school cop for safety among student (290 students for each person) to stop fights. However, they do have good teachers there. I have encountered several good teachers that have taught me a lot. But, that is it.

Posted February 19, 2005

I know it would be hard to be a teacher. I have 4 6th graders going to garside. My triplets are good students, but i have a nephew that lives with me that gets in a little trouble occassionly. I can only hope that before the child gets suspended for something another child might accuse them of that there will be a total investigation.You might hear one side of the story and bam that childs parent is called and can not come back to school for a few days. I hope that before it comes to that the dean would investigate the problem first to see if there is infact a true problem. Thanks trish.

Posted September 30, 2004

I am a former Garside Middle School student, I went there all three years, and now currently attend Bonanza High. Garside is a pretty good school, there are a lot of rumors about the school not being a very good one, but that's not true. I don't think that it is the best it 'could' be, but it's not a bad school at all. Don't hesitate in sending a student to Garside, it's a pretty safe environment, and the teachers by far are really great. Most of them will be willing to stay after school and help out a needy student. Last year most of the teachers were extremely forthcoming with the students, but one of them has left this year- Mr. Slocum. One thing I can garantee is this: Students will enjoy a great experience in 8th grade with Mrs. Bautista, and in 7th grade with Mr. Bautista. (Both Math Teachers.)

Posted August 21, 2004

I have a 13 year old daughter that attends Garside and I feel that the school is getting a bad rap from many who have commented on it. The staff can only do so much as far as teaching the studets. They sometimes don't have much to work with when the parents don't do their job of dicipline at home. My daughter hasn't had any problems thus far because she knows what I expect from her. There are clear limits for what I find acceptable,and she knows this. It starts with dicipline at home. This will lead to a better school. You can blame the schools but lack of parenting and dicipline at home is the root of the problem.

Posted June 5, 2004

The majority of the teachers at this school I truely do believe care in the quality of education they are teaching. There are a few though that I question. I've had three children attend this school, this last year has been the worst. With all of the new teachers this year the quality of education has dramacticlly dropped. I have one more child to attend junior high and have opted to send him to a different junior high because of the poor quality of education.

Posted May 16, 2004

I have had actual feelings of dread when I drop off my children. I have never had a positive interaction with the support staff. On a good note, they have a new principal. The last one was just terrible. The immediate surrounding neighborhood is bad and the children's appearance overall, reflects it and it is ashame that living 2 miles away, still requires my children to attend this prison like facility. If your children can avoid attending, for their sake, avoid it!

Posted April 13, 2004

This school is in a great environment, and is ideal for all students enrolled.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

414 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 63% in 2013.

414 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the Criterion Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The CRT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2013.

402 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 62% in 2013.

402 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 50% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 60% in 2011.

360 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students25%

Students with limited English proficiency10%
Proficient in English57%
Not migrant46%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students25%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 86%N/A54%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Performing and written arts
  • Dance

Fax number
  • (702) 799-4296

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Orchestra
Performing arts
  • Dance
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

300 South Torrey Pines Dr