No rating

St Viator Catholic School

Private | PK-8

Living in Las Vegas

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $77,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $790.

Posted August 3, 2014

I went to this school almost 9 years ago. After graduating from here (after Pre-k-8) and going to a public hs I realized how far behind I had gotten. I had almost no algebra skills when I graduated. My parents were getting divorced when I was there in middle school and I was treated differently by teachers, parents, and other students. Another parent actually called my mom several explicit names for getting a divorce. I remember being treated like the "other" because my father was a mechanic and not wealthy. If you are looking to get your child a good education on catholic doctrine, that is one thing this school can accomplish. Nothing was ever explicitly said against homosexuality, however it took me years to recover and accept myself and rid of the shame I felt. Bullying is characteristic of many of the children at the school. I remember the uniform being changed arbitrarily by the administration several times, which was a real struggle for my family considering how very expensive they are. If you are looking to get your child a good education, I would suggest other schools. Checkout some of the magnet schools in the area.

Posted February 7, 2014

I agree with all the opinions listed. The school seems to be unsafe, no security just over acting prima-donna volunteer moms even if there were incidents of break-ins and hobos coming into the school. Teachers in elementary grades 1- 4 are great and helpful however, junior high teachers are rude and unprofessional. Junior high teachers think they know it all when the fact, their methodology in teaching is very antediluvian. Teachers like: LH, KF and KT are wiseacre, impudent and are procrastinators in updating your child s grades.

Posted January 6, 2014

Girls are harassed by boys and vise versa, the school does nothing to keep us safe, they actually pretend it does't happen. Please ask your kids if they the like environment, if they do, then your at the right place. If they don't, listen to them and find a school that fits their strengths. Keep communication up with your children, explain what it means to bully kids and to stand up for those that can't stand up for themselves. I know many kids that have left, and they are behind in core subjects,at pub/private schools. Kindergarten is amazing, after that, reevaluate what is best for your child. Not sure how this school has 3 stars, what I have read, they should be negative a star or two. No security on campus, the kids run wild when the bell rings, and if you pick up your child from an after school activity, kids are just roaming around unsupervised, gates are open and office closes at 4pm. Parents gossip about each other, school, kids and what they don't like, but don't have the moral compass to speak up when it matters. Attend a PTO meeting, if you have a concern, your shut down before it can be addressed. Talk to your kids and together decide what school will fit their goals.

Posted September 16, 2013

This is a wonderful school! The curriculum includes math, science, reading writing, social studies, science, religion, Spanish, music, art, PE. The school offers many team sports and extra activities. The course work is one to two years ahead of Vegas public schools. Another plus is the children are very well behaved so the classroom has minium distractions. Teachers are not dealing with behavioral problems all day so they can focus on teaching! There is absolutely NO comparison to public schools! Even the schools in Antheim are Clark County schools! They follow same laws and procedures as all other public schools in town , have the same under qualified teachers, same curriculum to follow, same politics! Las Vegas schools are the WORST in the country so even if you are at one of the so called better schools it is still the best if the worst!!! Parents need to stop kidding themselves into thinking that because a school is in Antheim it's better, by the way many kids from Antheim go the St. Viator!!!

Posted June 29, 2013

We moved to Las Vegas in July 2012 from out of state where our children attended a Christian school where Christian values were taught by example and through curriculum. We looked at the St. Viator website where the mission statement reads: " St. Viator School provides a quality Catholic education where the gospel message of Jesus Christ is lived, learned and shared in a safe learning environment. The administrations, faculty, staff, students, parents, clergy, and parish community collaborate to develop the whole person spiritually, morally, academically and physically." This is not the case! The teachers are mean-spirited and are not Christian examples for our children. The classes are too crowded, and the so-called administration (where was the principal all day?) lacked effective leadership. My 7th grader was frustrated each day with how negative and nasty most of the teachers were and how ineffective their teaching was. My 1st grader's teacher-bless her soul did the best she could with 36 students in a portable. Is this what we are paying for? My children will be attending another more expensive fath-based private school next year, I would suggest you keep looking as well.

Posted December 25, 2012

I attended this school for 7 years, and it did not feel like a catholic school. There is no security at this school, which is very irresponsible because there are homeless people surrounding the school and the church from sunrise to sunset. We have to stand in line and be totally silent from the classroom to the lunch room and cannot talk at our lockers or anywhere. Sometimes they prohibited talking even at lunch, and made us sit in alphabetical order. Children from wealthy parents receive special treatment from the teachers and administration. Parents are very cliquish. Middle class people usually are left behind. They banned sharpies because people were getting "high" off them. Sometimes this school felt more like prison than a school. I'm happy I left this school and went to a public school.

Posted September 16, 2012

When choosing a school, you need to do your research. Talk to other parents, students, and faculty. It is very sad to hear that when parents have issues or concerns, their concerns are not addressed. If there is an issue, and administration does not address it, then it never happened. The office staff is very nice when you don't have any concerns, once you ask a question they don't want to answer, they will tell you what they feel YOU want to hear. I had a friend who taught at this school about 20 years ago, the standards are not as reputable as it was back then. If you have an opinion different from the administration, they will tell you its your choice to leave, and inform you they have a waiting list. Based on reviews from a few years back, there seems to be a pattern. In closing, do your own research, ask to have your child shadow for the day, ask to drop in during school hours to observe and decide if the atmosphere would fit your child.

Posted September 10, 2012

Kindergarten and pre-k is a great program with caring, loving and respectful teachers. This was a great experience and would give 5 stars if I could. Once you get to 1st through 5th, the teachers seem to care about education and the children, but administration does not seem to share the same level of respect. In junior high, the children are suppose to be role models for the younger children, and treat everyone with respect. If administration would lead by example, I think the children would show more respect for themselves and others.

Posted September 8, 2011

We have been at this school for a couple of years. Its so sad to see the way the office secretary treats parents and students,very disrepectfully. I thought they would treat my kids as if they were their own,they dont.Its so sad but now I have to take my child out because I refuse to let my child be treated poorly at school.Its a shame because they dont exhibit Christian behavior.We donated & volunteered but I guess it wasnt enough. Think before you put your kids here.People are very clickish!

Posted October 4, 2008

We truly love this school! We were particularly impressed that while many of the students have been together since pre-k, they are still so welcoming to newcomers. None of our four children had any adjustment problems and have thrived in the nurturing environment the school provides. Parent communication is excellent and a emphasis on student safety is evident in every aspect from parking lot to computers. The religious instruction is not limited to religion class...it is a truly christian environment. Not all parents accept their responsibilty to model their own faith, but most do and the community is wonderful. We have moved around a lot and have learned to recognize a good private school by how long the teachers and students stay there. Not only do the students stay, but many teachers have been there for 15+ years. No school is perfect, but this one comes very close.

Posted January 20, 2008

This school makes me feel insecure and unsafe. It is not a good environment and I wish everyday that I could transfer my child out of there, but it's too difficult and the year's almost over amyway.

Posted March 20, 2007

As a room mother and avid volunteer at this school I have found that the majority of teachers and administration are genuinely interested in the academic and general well being of the students. I feel that while the demands and expectations may be a bit strict for some parents I welcome the rules that are implemented. Children are allowed to run free in so many of our public schools and I have found at St. Viator that the children at any grade level are more polite and respectful. Isn't that one of the reasons we send them to not only private but Catholic school?

Posted January 14, 2007

Having spent quite a bit of time volunteering in the classroom, I was saddened to experience the tactic that so many of these teachers employ to control the children. Parents shouldn't be 'fooled' by the fact that this is a Catholic school - it doesn't measure up to other Catholic schools in other areas.

Posted August 8, 2006

For grades 1-4 at this school it is Fantastic once moving up into the Jr.Hight we've experianced problems with bad teachers and rude administartion. Parents are somewhat involved at this school. There isnt much outside of basic sports and an art club as far as extracurricular activities. There are usually 35 sudents in a class so there isnt very much 1 on 1 time. I suggest that you dont send your child to this school after grades 1-4.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 17% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Las Vegas

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4246 South Eastern Avenue