No rating

First Good Shepherd Lutheran School

Private | PK-6

We are best known for quality Christian education.

Living in Las Vegas

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $47,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $870.

Posted October 6, 2013

My wife and I currently have our 3rd child in FGS, we absolutely love the school. FGS is a small school with only one class per grade level, this has given all of my children a well rounded education due to the varying teaching styles of each individual teacher. The principal is extremely approachable, as is the entire staff. Parents are encouraged to deal with the teacher first, as it should be, and then, if they still have an issue, to bring it to the principal or vice-principal. I have sat in his office and discussed concerns with him on several occasions, sometimes I have seen changes in my favor and other times I have not. That is life, deal with it. Regardless of the outcome, I have never felt like I was just being "handled" to get me to go away. The staff at the school is fair, firm and consistent. As a parent, I am not foolish enough to think that my child could not have a disciplinary issue that may need to be addressed or a performance issue that may need to be handled. I encourage any individual reading these reviews to take into account that the overall rating is 5 stars. This school is a loving, caring and nurturing environment. Come tour our campus and see.

Posted July 28, 2013

this school is amazing I would highly recommend it over other private schools I love it

Posted March 22, 2013

I have both a pre-schooler and elementary child here for the last year and I have been satisfied with the following: Pre-School: great teachers, great admin, warm and caring environment, well paced education (teaches to the child rather than to great expectations) child loves being there; however, if your child is an intellectual powerhouse already at age 3, this school is NOT for you. It is emotionally conscious, but not for parents looking for a academic rigors. Elementary: no bullying is tolerated, admin and teachers do a great job of maintaining awareness of this issue. My child's first day of school, EVERYBODY knew his name, teachers greeted him like an old friend, and they had a gift bag ready for him. He felt loved and was ready to connect with the school that week. Academics is traditional, nothing innovative or aggressive, but that's not as important to me as my child's emotional well being which is much harder to fulfill than academic excellence. To compensate for this, he skipped a grade, but did not experience the "loneliness" most kids in his situation feel when they jump a grade. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for parents who care about emotional well being.

Posted March 11, 2013

My children are very happy at FGS and I highly recommend all the teachers at this school except fourth grade. My son lost a full year while in the fourth grade at FGS and I won't let that happen to my other children. I might move them to another school then, maybe Lamb of God or Faith Academy. Even public school would be better than 4th grade at FGS. It's a shame too because everything else at FGS is perfect. The fourth grade teacher is the reason I gave the school 3 stars instead of 4 or 5.

Posted April 11, 2011

One of our children graduated from First Good, and our other child is currently attending. We are so blessed to have this school in Las Vegas. The principal, Jim Krafft, is beyond amazing in his leadership and dedication to the students. The teachers are caring and mentor and teach the students to strive beyond their capabilities.

Posted February 8, 2011

The teachers are great, the curriculum is great, the price is great, everything about the school is great!! I love everything about the school. I just wish it would go higher in grade levels!!

Posted January 31, 2011

The school is very exceptional with educational and Christian aspects, but lacks informing the parent of situations that should be resolved with the parent only. I do have to agree with the other parent's review regarding favoritism between teacher and certain parents. The favoritism is certainly shown towards the student. Both aspects should certainly be eliminated completely.

Posted November 1, 2010

School teaches to student's level. Learning groups help children get a solid foundation at a pace they can handle. Higher level kids are not bored and can continue to excel in a positive friendly environment.

Posted May 11, 2010

First Good Shepherd is an outstanding school. Enrolling my child at this school was possibly the best parental decision I've ever made. My child has attended for the last four years and I have the utmost respect and appreciation for the work that all of the teachers and Mr. Krafft do to make this such an educational and compassionate environment. There are so many great extracurricular activities and families are really involved in their children's education. My child can't wait to go to school each day and is actually sad whenever school is out for vacation. I think that says it a lot!

Posted May 10, 2010

This school is awesome! The teachers are all so nice compared to other public schools. The principal, Mr. Krafft, is so nice and friendly. He never hesitates to help others. The curriculum is a lot more advanced compared to other public schools, specificaly in math and science. However, as one of the students, sometimes kids can be a tad bit hypocritical of others, although it's not too often. My only complaint is that there is a lot of favoritism.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 15, 2010

We have been truly blessed to have found the FGS community! This school was just what my sons needed to thrive and excel. Our local elementary school was not making adequate yearly progress and we needed a safe, secure, nurturing environment that promoted academics. With one class per grade, your child will receive individual attention and there is NO possibility of getting lost in the crowd. All of the teachers are responsive and concerned about the learning environment. The school encourages parental involvement and support. All members of the family are welcome at all of the school events - the Fall Carnival, Thanksgiving Feast, Christmas Musical, School Picnic - all fabulous opportunities to see the impact of the school community. Lastly, Principal Krafft is a fabulous educator! He runs a rigorous academic program and expects that students will respect each other and their teachers.

Posted November 6, 2009

Both of my children attend FGS and being a real LV native, I can say that this is one of the finest schools in the LV valley, if not the best. It still has the old LV 'small town' feeling, which is great considering it is surrounded by such a large city. The staff, teachers and principle are second to none and the tuition cost is more than reasonable. We love this school and the people who make it what it is. Keep up the great work, strong values and faith that you instill in our children.

Posted November 4, 2009

Pre-K through 6 grade school. The first two years for my kids have been great at this school. They are enjoying their classes and are learning a LOT.

Posted October 29, 2009

FGS is very focused on the children. The school is a close community where the parents are very supportive of the school. Children treat each other with respect.

Posted August 4, 2009

This is the best school in the United States! Mr. Krafft is amazing and so are all of his teachers. The only negative thing about this school is our students have to leave after sixth grade. I wish they could stay through high school. Mr. Krafft was my teacher and principal for seven years. When I finished 6th grade I left knowing the world needed me, and I had something special to give, that only I could give. Along with that feeling I also had the confidence to anything that was before me!! Thanks again.

Posted July 20, 2009

This school is ok. The children learn a lot and it is safe. But there is way too much homework and a lot of pressure and rushing to get things done. There is also a lot of favoritism. Some of the teachers are nice and others seem to have 'issues'. There are definetly pros and cons with this school and one would expect a little more since it is a private school.

Posted June 16, 2009

FGS is one of the greatest schools I've ever went to. I highly recommend it , my favorite teachers are Ms.Dibos and Ms.Ward. Well Ms.Ward is actually a teachers aid ,but shes awesome.

Posted January 30, 2009

FGS is a school that not only prepares children exceptionally well, but also instills such a heartfelt Christian education into the hearts and minds of the students. I attended this school from K-6 over 20 years ago and leadership of the principal is still the same. Mr. Krafft is a man with high expectations because he truly cares about each student and his staff. My own children now love the school. I am a CCSD elementary teacher. They do not have the discipline problems that cause CCSD teachers to pause and deal with a concern, stalling learning. Plus parent involvement is great here. The money is not wasted at all. Many staff members are former students which I believe says a lot. You won't be disappointed. This is a wonderful school regardless of the drive or area.

Posted January 9, 2009

As a former student of First Good, I can truly say that this is one of the best elementary schools out there. Not only do they offer a numberof extracurriculars, First Good truly prepares their students. The students are miles ahead of their counterparts in the public school system, as was shown to me when I went to middle school. Why is First Good one of the best schools out there? Because of the teachers that go the extra mile. From Mrs. Sprouse and Mrs. Orne in Kindergarten to Mr. Krafft and Mrs. Dibos in the sixth grade, First Good's teachers are a dime a dozen. I would recommend this school to everyone who is looking for their children to get a great education!

Posted January 3, 2009

FGS is an amazing school where children are the number one priority. The principal and teachers are hard working, dedicated, spiritual and fun! My children love school and wake up each morning ready to go to school happily. Mr. Krafft is a leader like no other. He has a most positive attitude and is a wonderful Christian man. The drive is so worth it! If you are looking for the best school in town, go no further, you have found it!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 6%

• Student newspaper

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • James E. Krafft
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Lutheran church - missouri synod
Associations
  • ELEA
Fax number
  • (702) 384-2080

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Music
  • Band
  • Choir / Chorus

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student newspaper