PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

In our experiences, there were cliques on the playground. Jewish values were taught well, but still many gaps were left and opportunities for bullying.

Supports LD students: Disagree

In our experience, there were many children with learning differences at the school. This was at the detriment of students who came prepared and without problems.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

The biggest weakness is lack of leadership and tired leaders. Everything is delegated to the level lower. Teachers end up inheriting it all and holding the bag. Sadly.

Develops character: Disagree

Warm and fuzziness seems based upon favoritism. There are cliques on the play ground and some bullying. The school does a good job teaching Jewish values and support for Israel.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Some good teachers but also there are lots of weak ones. There is lots of overturn.

Funny how the ratings seem to range between 1 star and 5 stars. We had a poor educational experience at Adelson. The community is nice especially if you are Jewish. Lots of opportunities for parents to come in and connect with other families. But, education is sub-par for a private school. Two years ago the headmaster was chased out mid-year after a large group of parents got concerned about lackluster and inconsistent education and found out that the school was operating WITHOUT a curriculum! A new curriculum was quickly drafted up and posted but it was a big shock for teachers to have to adhere to a set plan and some got disgruntled. In the transition, a big questionmark was left about going forward. Half the community wanted stronger academics and the other half wanted education to be slow and warm and fuzzy. There have been a few new heads since, but from what we hear the academic identity crisis keeps continuing. The school seems to be spending a lot of time (still!!) on curriculum mapping, i.e. making sure teachings between the grades build upon one another. I mean, these things should be in place from day 1, not after decades of being a school.... Programs in reading and math still seem to be changing year to year depending on the new headmasters' vision. At least the school did away with common core math which imo was a good move. I will further say the facilities are beautiful, there is solid security, the the cafeteria is impressive, the theater is wonderful, the swimming pool is magnificent, the library is beautiful, lots of tech at school. The Adelson family has created extraordinary place through big donations. But academics are still not there. When parents question mediocre academics, they are given nice sounding answers about "the whole child" or other Wizard of Oz curtain answers to cover up the lack of academic vision. Some grades have like 18 students (the entire grade!). Also, check where the high school kids are accepted (hint: nowhere great). All in all, the school has a good religious identity but no clear academic philosophy or strong academics. The tuition is really too high to be receiving a mediocre education. We had a hard time letting go because of the community, but now wish we would have taken the plunge sooner. It would have saved a lot of catching up.

Lower school is a complete disaster! New leadership is not qualified to lead and does not have advanced degrees and the qualified teachers were not given contracts. The new head coming is not qualified either. The school is not transparent as to what is happening and sugarcoat teachers and administrators degrees and experience. The curriculum is non existent.

I have 2 boys at the school, 1 in 5th grade who has been there since preschool and 1 in preschool. Here are pros and cons from my perspective: Pros: 1) security. In today's world, this is of utmost importance. There is a constant security presence, limited entrances due to gated campus, cameras, and multiple security measures. I drop my boys off and I have great peace of mind that they are safe. 2) teachers. We have been blessed with some of the most wonderful teachers. They see the whole child and go to great lengths to have my child reach their greatest potential. Each year I'm sad for my older son to graduate his class, only to be equally impressed with his new teacher. My son has been given enrichment packages and advanced opportunities to meet his specific goals. I'm beyond impressed with how this school developed and nurtured his love of learning and of school. 3) well rounded. The school has it all- academics, sports, clubs, electives, advanced technology, languages, arts... There is no need for me as a mom to run him all over town for additional experiences. Adelson has it all either during the school day or after. 4) parent involvement. If I have a question or concern, the teacher is very accessible and responsive. I can usually have my answer same day. Admin does require an appointment but also easy to do. 5) academics. I do notice that when the neighborhood kids (public school) come over, that they are considerably behind, especially in regard to spelling and math. They do 'core math' and gratefully Adelson does not. 6) conveniences- they provide all meals and snacks. Also, easy to contact secretary and have child waiting if, for example, mid day doctor appointment. They have early and after care. There is a drop off and pick up from car. 7) preschool is amazing. I've never had a single issue here. Director seems to run a tight ship and the teachers are just wonderful. Cons: 1) drama. In all these years I can't figure out if it's the parents, the staff, or the kids, but there is always drama. My boys have been unaffected by it but I've certainly seen some pockets or at times entire grades be plagued with drama. Some years its staff turnover, sometimes it's bullying, others it's idle gossip. 2) discipline. Kids get away with too many behaviors without clear consequences. Repeat offenders of bullying still there. 3) slow to change.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I love the teachers, my son loves all his teachers and I feel very secure with my 2 years olds teachers. I started getting updates in a tadpoles app with personalized pictures and daily activities.

Amount of homework: Agree

I hear parents want more and I agree, my 5th grade son averages 1-2 hours a night.

Last modified Dr Miriam & Sheldon G Adelson Educational Campus is a Private school that serves grades PK-12