Hyde Park Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted June 21, 2009

i'm 7th and going 8th this year and i love this school except for the math courses.

Posted April 19, 2009

I'm a 7th grader at Hyde Park this year, and I'd have to say that this school is amazing. Teachers are wonderful, and they try to challenge you as much as possible. Our band, choir, and orchestra are some of the best in the district and travel all over the nation to compete. Hyde Park gives you a great opportunity to try new things, and I'm sure everyone will love it there.

Posted March 29, 2009

i'm an 8th grader here and this school is truly amazing. the teachers here are really great.but at some times they overload us with homework making us stay till 1 a.m working on it. also the teachers seem to give us all projects at the same time. mr.kuzma is a great principal. he interacts with all the students and it doesnt feel weird when you talk with him. some deans are really harsh while others are great. the choir,band, and orchestra are amazing! the choir was able to go to carnegie hall this year and last year they recieved 2cd place(they lost by a half of a point to a high school!). they orchestra got to london and went to chicago. the band got to go to hawaii and could have gone to mexico but couldnt due to the war going on there. all in all i really recommend this

Posted March 25, 2009

I'm a seventh grader at Hyde Park and so far I'm loving it ! My principl, Mr. Kuzma, is very determined to help us students succeed in school . Along with all the other teachers who support each and everyone of the students at Hyde Park . We learn in the funnest ways, with the best tools and best resources . Hyde Park is truly the best school in Clark County Nevada !

Posted March 17, 2009

I am currently an 8th grader at hyde park middle school and would recommend it to anyone and everyone. Here they teach you everyhting you need to know and more. The opertunities that students here in hyde park middle school are endless. However, hyde park does have a worst side to it. The teachers are great, but i think that it gets to their head that we are smarter, and give us more homework than the usual, at times an excessive amount that will sometimes keep me (and many others as well) up until 12:00 am. This is of course counting the collective homework from the 4 core classes - math, science, english, and for 8th graders geography. Other than that, hyde park was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Go Hyde Park Panthers!!!

Posted December 12, 2008

Im a student at hyde park middle school, im sure all of you heard this: 'Hyde park is great!' 'The teachers are wonderful!' 'They have such good programs that prepare our children for high school and college!' sure sure thats our stereotype at hyde park is. As an 8th grader I've been here since 6th grade, learning to growing up in this school made me learn a lot about life. The students can be mean even in the magnet program, most of the teachers are strict and expect so much of us. The best students here do not socialize and basically keep to themselves, some students cheat and break the rules and do not get caught. Don't be fooled, but if you protect yourself and do your work you'll be fine in this nightmare

Posted October 24, 2008

This school is amazing! Love it.

Posted September 7, 2008

the teachers there are great and the principal interacts with the students.

Posted August 25, 2008

I'm a brand new 6th grade magnet student and I find this school to be a very nice place. The teachers helped us locate our new classrooms. The teachers also told us the essential things we need for their classes.

Posted May 28, 2008

I am a 6th grade magnet student at Hyde Park Middle School Academy of Math and Science. The teachers are excellent. They can teach you so much in your time at Hyde Park. The academy of math and science program is very well taught. We have advanced English and reading classes which are challenging and you can learn a lot from them. Our band teacher, Mr. Tyler, has led our school to victory in competitions with our Symphonic Band, Varsity I Band, and Varsity II Band. The beginning band students also learn a lot and work hard. The staff will do anything to keep us safe. The teachers have taught me so much in my first year in middle school. I have realized that I have learned a lot more at this school than the middle school I was zoned for. I would recommend this school to anyone entering middle school.

Posted May 23, 2008

HPMS Academy of Math and Science is superior in education and teachers and staff. Unbelievable things happen there and will continue to happen their because of dedication and passion for learning and teaching.

Posted May 12, 2008

If you are interested in learning in depth science and math material, Hyde Park Middle School is a wonderful place to go to. We have an award-winning orchestra, band, and choir program, for those who are interested in electives. In fact, our top orchestra went to London, England during spring break, and our top band just got back from Hawaii! To be in the math and science program, you must apply and be accepted, but it is well worth it. Every spring, we have about 3,000 applicants, which says a lot about our school. Celebrating its 50th anniversary next year, Hyde Park Middle School is a great place to go for academic achievements

Posted May 10, 2008

Hyde Park is a great school. At first I was worried about the location. And the surrounding neighborhood just seemed a bit scary. But now it doesnt matter. The school is great and the magnet program isnt bad!

Posted May 4, 2008

This school is AWESOME. The kids are nice. The teachers are nice. Everyone is on task, this school could take you FAR in your future. This has been such a great school for me, and i am glad i came here.

Posted April 24, 2008

I will admit, at first I was nervous about the school because of its age and the location, but the magnet program was more than enticing. Now that my daughter has settled into the Academy, I know I made the right decision. Besides mastery of academics, the diversity of the school population encourages free and independent thinking, and I have never seen and administration and principal more dedicated to its student body. The orchestra program is top notch and Mr. Woolstenhulme is the driving force behind it. I would highly recommend this school to any parent deciding on the magnet program. It is well worth all the sacrifice.

Posted March 30, 2008

Our daughter is in the 8th grade at Hyde Park. Her experience in the Science and Math Academy has been outstanding. The staff and other students she has associated with are excellent. She has had a number of opportunities to excel and participate in extracurricular events. She is very prepared for high school and college as she has had to develop good study habits at an early age. Opting to go to Hyde Park was one of the best decisions she has made. It is an older school in an older neighborhood, but we have found that there have been less problems at the school than the school she was zoned for in a nice neighborhood. We have nothing but great comments to make about the entire experience and staff. Can't wait until our next child has the opportunity to attend this school. It's the best MS in Las Vegas.

Posted March 26, 2008

This could be a personal experiance or simply a widespread problem. My daughter has attented Hyde for 6th and 7th grade. Slowly I have watched her progress into this unknown person. I have seen the people she chooses to be around, and they are at best, not the right kind of crowd. My daughter is failing math, and refuses to switch out to an easier or class or simply pay attention because 'thats where her friends are' she should have been put on probation but was never placed on such of a thing. Which makes me wonder what is going on there at the front office. I hear my daughter openly brag about ditching school and heading to the meadows mall. Just a fair warning to any parents, do not be fooled into thinking that a magnet school is a safe better learning community.

Posted February 8, 2008

I am in the magnet program, and i think it is the best magnet in the state. It has the highest test scores on the distric, but the school's grade is the third best in the state, because of the local kids. The kids in the magnet are mostly smart, and the teachers are ok.

Posted January 30, 2008

I'm a sixth grader here in Hyde Park Middle School, and I've got to say that I've learned way more here than I ever would've at my zoned middle school. They teach very advanced pre-algebra, advanced english and reading, and we learn life science. It's very fun and yet very challenging so you will never get boed. And I'm sure that you'll just love the teachers

Posted January 19, 2008

I absolutely LOVE this school. I like how the system is set up. It is just an absolutely amazing school. It teaches you so much!

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

578 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 63% in 2013.

578 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the Criterion Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The CRT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2013.

540 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 62% in 2013.

537 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

511 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 50% in 2013.

511 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

510 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 60% in 2011.

566 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students68%

Students with limited English proficiency10%
Proficient in English82%
Not migrant73%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students70%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 14% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 57%N/A54%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

900 Hinson St