No rating

Mountain View Christian Schools

Private | PK-12 | 500 students

Leadership based upon Biblical principles

Living in Las Vegas

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $68,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Posted January 29, 2009

I regret every dollar I poured into this school--from tuition to fundraisers to money gifts I was asked to provide by administration. The education is mediocre, the teachers are not all certified and the administration is too concerned about money to make any good decisions regarding what is best for the kids. What a terrible school disguised as being Christian! My child is being more educationally challenged in public school!

Posted January 10, 2009

I have attended MVCS for the past 2 years. I would have to say that this school is amazing! I am doing much better here than my former school and my teachers take the extra time to help me do better. I recommend this school to anyone looking for caring teachers.

Posted October 21, 2008

I'm sad to say that I only wish that I had found this website before I enrolled my child. After 9 weeks I have made the difficult decision to move my child to another school. I agree that the school seems to be more interested in the fundraising and the sports. I was shocked to hear that chapel was cancelled to attend a pep rally. Why do preschoolers need to attend a pep rally? I was informed that the homework would be available online for me to print. Even public schools give you hard copies. When I went to the login it was just websites to go to and obtain the homework. For the money you pay, they can afford to make a few copies. Even public schools give you hard copies. Please ask the right questions when enrolling your child in this or any school.

Posted August 27, 2008

I went to MVCS in 6th grade, but came back for my years of high school and graduated in 2006. I loved every minute of it how everyone was so involved I would of never recieved that at any of the othe private schools. It was like a family and I still talk and visit with the staff and my whole graduating class. Highly suggest going to Mt. View.

Posted August 11, 2008

My children have been at MVCS for 5 years, and this is the first year that I don't feel that the school has earned an exceptional rating--I would give them 1 or 2 stars if I was only considering the 07-08 year. While there are many caring teachers and the curriculum is solid (at least for elementary and middle school), in the past year, the administration seemed more concerned about enrollment numbers, dollar signs, and athletics, and less concerned about academics, security and behavior. Phone calls to administration are often not returned, discipline is inconsistent and favoritism is obvious. I hope to see them return to their previous standards in the coming year.

Posted March 30, 2008

My daughter graduated from MVCS and she loved every minute of her time there. The teachers are caring and the adminitrators give of their time after school to coach the kids and mentor them. The two staff members who do not support the school should leave. If its such a bad place why stay? I love the place. My daughter is who she is today because of it.

Posted March 26, 2008

I have had my children attend Mountain View for about 10 years now and I have to say I am pleased. I for one feel the education offered is above average and ultimatley the success of my students depends on them and myself. The staff at MVCS are very helpful and encouraging. Not to mention the safety factor. MVCS is a well maintained and gaurded school. I plan on having my children graduate from this school. Thank You MVCS!!!!

Posted March 1, 2008

Totally not preparing the students for the real world, one teacher I know doesn't even have a college/teaching degree, good job Mtn View. They care more about the money than the teaching.

Posted December 26, 2007

Love the school my childeren go there and they love it!!

Posted November 17, 2007

I wil be taking my child out of this school during Winter break. How can my child get a good education when the teachers do not have one? No wonder my child is behind her public school friends!

Posted November 9, 2007

MVCS has the ability to be a great school. I think there focus should be more on the students and not the enrollment numbers. Everything is always about numbers. Educating the kids should be priority. Until they realize that the kids that are there are priority, they will continue to struggle.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 9, 2007

My child has just began public school, and he/she is now being put in different classes becuase mountain view did not have their students in the right classes according to grade. They start you out with the wrong english classes so that if you do indeed decide to change school you are completely off with the rest of the county.

Posted October 16, 2007

MVCS didnt get me prepared for where i neee to go, i want to go to an out of state college for fashion, and the classes that i need the either do not offer or they did not tell me that i was supposed to take them. I love the students there, but the teachers aren't good.

Posted October 10, 2007

mountain view is not worth the money! most teachers are underqualified and just don't really care. i spent most of my days there doing busy work instead of actually learning.

Posted October 10, 2007

I have recently taken my child out of MVCS and put him in public school. I am amazed at all of the classes he is behind in. There are also many classes that he took at MVCS and is not getting credit for in public school. MVCS has not been a good experience for us!!

Posted September 19, 2007

MVCS is the best! And yes, it's a Christian school. You can feel it in the atmosphere. I know many of the teachers personally. They sacrifice so much for their students. I have been in prayer meetings where MVCS teachers are crying for their students for hours. These teachers truly care. The love they show is straight from God. I Know the staff of MVCS, and they are most definitely close to God (and it shows).

Posted August 27, 2007

My children are starting their sixth year at MVCS. I have found their education far exceeds that of their public school peers. The school offers many extra-curricular activities from elementary through high school. The teachers have been excellent. We have rarely had issues with teachers and have always been able to work things out. Administration is easy to contact and open to workng with parents. My children love going to this school. They have very good relationships with the teachers they have had and look forward to returning each fall. We plan on keeping our children at MVCS until graduaion.

Posted August 22, 2007

I rate it an average because it can be very well, average. The tone and manner of some of the teachers can be unproffesional. I like that the classrooms are very diverse and not too large, but even with smaller classrooms help is not distributed evenly. In my opinion, the tution doesnt match the service.

Posted August 6, 2007

i went to mountain view for several years, and once i started 7th grade and was up in the high schools wing i hated it. no ones nice, everyone pushes in the hall ways, but thats just the way kids are these days, i know. but when you need something the teachers never help, there to busy talking about our highschool drama, to pay attention. they teach us not to gossip, when thats the only thing they do.

Posted July 31, 2007

my outlook on this school seems to be one of many. i sent my daughter to warren walker and did not like it, and had heard only great things about mvcs. but when sending her there, yes the students were welcoming but the teachers didnt seem to pay much attention to her, it was more on the students already there. she was learning so many more new things at her old school. i am sending her back this upcoming year.

Asian 7% N/A
Two or more races 7% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 1% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 2-year college 3% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 94% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 3% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation UNLV
Grand Canyon University
UNR
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Dr. Crystal Van Kempen-McClanahan
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Associations

• Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
  • STEM
  • Virtual school
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • National Honor Society
  • Student Leadership Council
  • Yearbook

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom