No rating

Mountain View Christian Schools

Private | PK-12 | 500 students

Leadership based upon Biblical principles

Living in Las Vegas

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $68,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Posted July 29, 2007

I had high expectations for MVCS, but my children will not be returning next year. The curriculum is average-except too much influence with bible teachings-it overshadows the need for more emphasis on basics, like math, science, history, etc.. Unfortunately, it is a whole lot about money. The fundraising for missions is obsessive, while the kids are still in trailers. Some of the Junior and High School students speak more filth than I expected for the environment. The Library is poorly stocked. The only positive is the safety aspect.

Posted July 23, 2007

I am a staff member of MVCS and am sad to say that my view of the school has changed. There is no forgiveness from the administrators and I have seen many good staff members let go due to impulsive decisions by those in authority. I do not feel the mission statement is lived by, and often times I am disappointed that this is a Christian organization because of the contradictions seen throughout the entire school. Unfortunately, the school wants to be the best, but does not do what is necessary to become the best.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted July 21, 2007

Im so glad that finally, people are putting the truth out there about mountain view chrstian school. I used to love it, and it was so much fun. But now, things have gotten so far out of hand. The teachers dont pay enough attention to us as they should. We didnt excel anymore than kids in public schools.

Posted July 18, 2007

I have been on staff at MVCS for several years and unfortunately I have to agree with several comments and complaints that have been posted as of late. If it were not for the tuition discount my children get because I am an employee, I would send my children elsewhere. I work with a few teachers who do not even have a teaching degree and I believe some of the ones with degrees teach here because they would not cut it in public school. The leadership is very prejudice against a certain population of children despite how they portray themselves to the parents. Parents are not encouraged to be involved and when they do, they get discouraged because they see that their children's best interests are not in the hearts of the administration and most of the staff. It is actually a very sad situation.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted July 16, 2007

I am a former student of MVCS and after being put through the worst year of my life I am happy to see that the truth of this school is being put out. I was unfairly treated because I made the mistake of doing what I thought was right. The favoritism at this school is ridiculous if you are not liked the teachers and other staff they will have it out for out for you. What I mean is you will go through hell dirty looks from the office ladies teachers acting differently in classes. My parents paid good money for what? In my bible class all we did was sit and talk. I could have done that in public school for free.

Posted July 13, 2007

It is great that the ugly truth about MVCS is finally getting out. I pulled my children out a couple of years ago due to many of the same reasons. This has been a total waste of money--especially when there are perfectly good public schools in LV to send our children to! The administration and staff should be ashamed of themselves!

Posted July 12, 2007

I agree that the elementary school is great and teachers do a good job. But the high school portion is full of favoritism and even grades are subject to the whim of teachers at times. The school does not focus on academics and preparing for college like they should especially in their senior years This school used to be above the public schools but not any more. I pulled my kids out this year after 10+ years in the school.

Posted July 12, 2007

While the emphasis (well, over-emphasis) on Christianity at Mountain View may seem advantageous, it, in essence, screwed me when I got to college. The whole time I attended Mountain View, every subject, every idea was based on God and Christianity. I can't remember writing a paper where I didn't refer or mention God at least once. That didn't fly in my public college. Of course, they wouldn't discriminate based on religion, but I could no longer base my arguements on God, because to most people in the scientific profession don't believe in God. My education from MV no longer seemed like an education at all, more like a huge Bible class.

Posted July 12, 2007

I recently graduated after attending Mountain View my entire scholastic career. While I was there, the school seemed like the best there could be; the low number of students made it easier to get involved in sports and other programs that I would never have been successful at in another school as well as smaller class sizes which made learning more personal. Then I graduated. I realized that the real world was nothing like Mountain View. Being taught in an environment that encourages and accepts Christian beliefs made it easier to follow those beliefs, but once I had to become a part of society, that fostering of my religion was no longer present. They make it easy while you're there, but they don't teach you how to uphold those beliefs when they're challenged.

Posted July 12, 2007

Mountain View Christian School started out to be a good school when my child was in elementary. But as she has gotten older the only thing they offer is a wonderful volleyball team. In her freshman year (which will be her last @ mvcs) she was treated very unfairly. Teachers most deffinatly have their favorites and will go out of their way to help the students that they consider more special. I would not consider sending my child here again.

Posted July 12, 2007

Mountain View is good for the elementary programs there, but that would be it. Favoritism is a huge deal. The school focuses so much on how much money they can raise through fund raisers and such that education almost seems to be put secondary. I would not suggest anyone to MVCS.

Posted July 9, 2007

I love love love MVCS! My son graduated this year (he's attended since the first grade) and my daughter will be a sophomore in the fall. Their teachers have always gone the extra mile for each of them. I never felt 'out of the loop'. The office staff are wonderful and personable. They know your children and you by name. MVCS is worth every single dollar we've spent on my kids education. If I had to do it all over again. I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Posted June 8, 2007

I am pulling my child out of this school after attending for 5 years. I would expect him to be ahead of public school but indeed he is behind and will have to take summer school. I am very disappointed in the immaturity and unprofessionalism of the entire staff. This has been a waste of money for our family, but hey, at least the administration can afford to live like kings and queens! Not to mention the new cafeteria I helped pay for! Do not send your child here!

Posted May 23, 2007

This is our 5th year at MVCS. We love it! Wonderful environment with teachers and staff who truly care. Challenging academics, great art and music teachers, band, sports, Bible education and chapel each week along with a safe and fun school environment are reasons we like it so much. For the most part, parents are very friendly and down to earth and parent participation is high. Diverse group of ethnicities and backgrounds but teachers and staff treat everyone with respect & kindness. Private Christian education is certainly a sacrifice as it isn't cheap. However, we have found it is well worth it! We are very happy with MVCS. Our daughters love their school!

Posted November 1, 2006

MVCS has been overall a good elementary school. I have great concern for the high school level of teaching i.e. the quality of the teachers and what is available for the kids. They do seem to have a high priority for the safety of the kids. The whole first quarter has seem to have been more about how much money the school could raise, and not so much on education. Hopefully 2nd quarter will be better!

Posted January 24, 2006

MVCS is the best Christian School in Las Vegas. The teachers truly care about the needs of each student and want to be there. I have seen many teachers go the extra mile to see the kids succeed. For example, my daughter's teacher offers free tutoring after school for the children who need extra help. I am very impressed as a parent. I also like the new state of the art kitchen that was opened this year. Now my child has a healthy hot lunch each day. The rising tuition is the only issue I have with MVCS, but the quality of the school is well worth the sacrifice.

Posted May 10, 2005

My daughter has attended MVCS for five years now, and started there in the 6th grade. We have never regretted sending her to MVCS. I believe the quality of the education she is receiving is superior to what she would get in the public schools in Las Vegas. Brian Glover

Posted April 3, 2005

My child has attended for almost three years. He is in pre-school and has done very well there. He truely enjoys going and has learned computer fundamentals, art, physical education & music. I especially like he attends chapel once a week with children his own age. He has had four fundamental teachers since starting there and I would score them all very high on discipline, manners & teaching respect for others. He has been taught well on the basic education for his age level, including the bible. I did have a problem once with a teacher, which could happen at any school, and we quickly resolved the issue by talking. My son has been at 2 other daycares prior to Mountain View, any I've never seen the rudeness/disrespect towards the kids as I did at the other places he attended. I would highly recommend visiting MVCS & forming your opinion.

Posted February 18, 2005

I feel that MVCS is a great school.It has weak areas just like any other school, however it provides a great enviornment and has many great activities. I am very pleased.

Posted September 14, 2004

Very good school, Safe secure, Fair and the most color blind environment that I have ever seen. Excelent facilities for sports and the developmnet of children.

Asian 7% N/A
Two or more races 7% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 1% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 2-year college 3% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 94% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 3% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation UNLV
Grand Canyon University
UNR
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Dr. Crystal Van Kempen-McClanahan
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Associations

• Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
  • STEM
  • Virtual school
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • National Honor Society
  • Student Leadership Council
  • Yearbook

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom