J Harold Brinley Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted April 30, 2013

My son went to this school back in 2007-2008. There were shootings and kids bringing guns to school, luckily we moved after only being in the area for a year. Why am I writing a review now 5 years later?! Because my son was giving a grade he didn't deserve and ALMOST had to take a class over again. It was his computer class. The teacher gave him a NP. Well we didn't know that was on his report card until he got in the 11th grade and my husband and I knew we wouldn't have missed that so we fought it and you know what happen?! The school was wrong. The principal said the teacher must have accidently bubbled in the wrong thing. I was completely floored. But I am writing because if this happen to my son I know it has happen to someone else and I am hoping by me writing about it someone can see that if you fight the school on it you will get change! He now has a pass in his computer class and doesn't have to take it over again!

Posted March 21, 2013

brinley is an amazing school with amazing students. at that school you have ever race you can think of we are so diverse. i love the teachers and the new princpal. sure we have fight and arguments but so does every other school. yes we do have some kids that dont care and or ghetto but there is only a few of those type of kids.we have a lot of school pride we have amazing staff. we also have many clubs and sports team

Posted November 19, 2012

i was a student at birnley but i transfrerred. i was in 6th grade and even thought the school has a bad review it has good people some of the teachers were to blame , but most of the students were the best. so now i say that im a proud brinley bruin at heart

Posted September 2, 2011

I go to this school now in eighth and this skoo tight it at even fights I broke up one Taday aha but this skoo a good skoo and the teachers listen but the bball team srry but Imma b on it so it's all good but f u go ta this skoo u gotta say swag and Gucci lol Nhaw Jp but but it's

Posted January 25, 2011

this can be a good school but it has so many student who don't care . don't blame the staff they tried but the kids are very disrespectful i am an A B student and try my best but others in that school just don't care. i am deferent and so are some other students . i wouldn't go to any other school because the teachers helped me so much . i din't care about school till i went to brinley and i am proud to say i'm a bruin .

Posted September 24, 2010

Previous Parent here. With brinley's revolving door of principals and teachers that refuse to e-mail to help working parents stay informed and the complete lax security this school is unsafe and should be taken over for the sake of the children. After my son attended I refused to let anymore of my children experience this and moved out of state to give my children a chance. If you can don't let your kids attend there is only a handful of good teachers and I feel for them

Posted January 31, 2010

This is a great school. I went here for 6th grade but my mom transfered me out. She thought that the fights outside of the school were because of the students but some of those were highschoolers. This is one my favorite schools and it has great people! The teachers I had were my favorites.

Posted September 20, 2009

I am currently an 8th grade student at brinley middle school. If you read alot of these other messages on this wedsite they talk very negitive about our school. Brinley is not a bad school at all. Yes it has had its bad years but that was in the past. There are inly a hand full of kids who just simply dont care... All of the other ones have moved on to hhigh school. It is not our fault that the subsitutes that come here read about our past behaivor and judge the students who go there now. There are only a few students who are rebelus now. It erks me how people just focus on the past and just because we have had a bad past that it falls back on the kids now. Elisha

Posted August 28, 2009

There are alot of kids at this school who just don't care. But blame that on their parents, not on the school! It's a good school with lot's of activities. They have accelerated English, Math, Reading, and Science as well as pre-algebra for 7th grade.

Posted October 17, 2008

I was a long-term subsititute at this school. I have never had such a group of disrespectful students and lack of administrative support, and I even subbed at juvenile hall, which was sadly much better than Brinley. The Principal 'Ms. Gibson' never left her office, even after I sent her multiple e-mails asking her to please come to my classroom and back me up with discipline she never came. The kids ran the class, and there was nothing I could do about it. I had a 6th grade student tell me to 'f*ck off,' and he was back from the office in 10 minutes. What a horrible horrible horrible school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 12, 2008

One word about this school. Terrible. The principal doesn't really care and keeps us trapped in a small dim cafeteria. The deans get you in trouble for no reason just to set you off. The school is filled with litter and junk. We have the worst clubs ever. They change their rules constantly and treat us all like elementary students. The deans, the principal, and the vice principal doesn't even listen to the students. This is coming from a kid who went here in 6th and 7th grade. I'm currently in 8th grade. I still hate it.

Posted March 27, 2008

They should close this school down. It is disgraceful to see the lack of respect for teachers. The administrators do nothing to help the teachers. The students can do no wrong. I am a parent who has transferred my son out because it is not safe. I have seen kids f off teachers and the principal does nothing.

Posted March 10, 2008

I have had more issues with the disrepectful staff then any student who attends. 'They are a substitute' seems to be an acceptable response when contacting the administration office, but then again the vice principle whom I was speaking with admitted they were a substitute as well. My son tells me he goes to class, an assignment is written on the board, a hand-out with questions is given to him then turns in that Friday. The rest of the week the teacher is on the internet. Ive gone and witnessed this in more then one of his classes. If the teachers are not longer interstested in educating students then maybe they should find other employment. I realize they are not there to raise my child, but they are there to educate them and this is lacking here!

Posted October 10, 2007

This school is out of control!! The Principal won't let the teachers discipline the students, so the students run wild and run the school.

Posted October 5, 2007

Brinley middle school is a great school. They have a lot of help for the students and academic work for them. Brinley keeps my friends and i involved in a lot. The teachers are also great! Some may not agree with all of these facts but i do and i believe in Brinley.

Posted September 19, 2007

this is the worst school I have ever had to deal with!! The kids are disrespectful, and the administration thinks that talking to them will solve the problem. think again!! get your kid out of there!!!

Posted May 27, 2007

One of the worst schools if not the worst in terms of disclipine. Absolutely no respect for authority . Lack of respect for the teachers. Graffiti on walls.

Posted May 22, 2007

One of the worst schools if not the worst in las vegas.I have never encountered such disrespectful and rude students. They have a record of kids lining up for disciplinary reasons.The teacher turnover is alarming.Teachers always complaining about the disrespectful students.Administrator changeover constantly.A chaotic and sad situation exists.

Posted March 23, 2007

I went to BMS in 2004-2006. It is a great school, the teachers and the staff members there treated me very well. They made believe I can do anything that come my way!!

Posted June 6, 2006

My son attended BMS for 6th, 7th, and will complete 8th grade in two days. We have enjoyed Brinley. Ms. Gibson and her staff really took care of my kid like he was one of their own. That could be, however, because I built a rapport with them, was always accessible, and they knew they could count on me. I see many children who can be a bit unruly, but they are not unmanageable. These are typically the children whom one wonders if they raise themselves. At Brinley, it seems that the parents who complain are only seen on campus maybe once or twice a year. Often, I attended my son's games and there were only the same handful of parents who attended. Thankfully, BMS had caring staff to fill in when parents didn't.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

313 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 63% in 2013.

313 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the Criterion Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The CRT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2013.

274 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 62% in 2013.

275 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

297 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 50% in 2013.

298 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

295 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 60% in 2011.

242 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students27%

Students with limited English proficiency16%
Proficient in English51%
Not migrant42%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students35%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 89%N/A54%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Music
  • Choir / Chorus
Performing and written arts
  • Dance
  • Drama

Fax number
  • (702) 799-4549

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2480 Maverick St