Las Vegas, NV

Posted March 31, 2014
I had my son attend ullom from first grade until 5th grade. I went to parent teacher conferences and was extremely pleased with how each teacher had a wonderful grasp of where my child was at. My child received an excellent education at Ullom. Each and every teacher was extremely supportive and interested in my child education. After 5th grade I moved to different side of town where my son now attends st. Francis de sales school, I say this because I take my child's education very seriously. My son was prepared to take on the curriculum of a rigorous private school due largely in part to the great staff at Ullom elementary. My child speaks English at home but we are Hispanic. I was careful to monitor if ESL students were diverting the teachers attention away from the class, I did not want this to hinder my son's education. I never felt this to be the case. I believe Ullom is an excellent school with exceptional and kind teachers.

Posted May 21, 2012
Both my children attended J.M. Ullom elementary school and I have been very please with their education. I am a single hispanic mother who through hard work and dedication have put myself through college and have obtained my degree. It saddens me to read some of the reviews including the ones that say students haven't learned the "American" language. The teachers at Ullom, as well as the administrators strive to make sure that their school offers the best it can with what it has. Both of my children are excellent students, now of middle school and high school age. Every student is given the opertunity to excell, how we as parents encourage our children , and accept responsability for their education as a team effort. reflects on their success. I encourage my children to be the best people they can be. So i applaud the teachers at Ullom elementary school for all of their efforts. I look forward to enrolling my kindergartner this upcoming school year.

Posted July 16, 2011
My son attended first grade at this school. He did not attend J M Ullom Elementary during his kindergarten years. During the beginning of the school year, the teacher said he tested well above average for all areas of study. Each parent teacher conference, his teacher reported he was well above his classmates and doing well in all areas except one. His mother and I placed special attention in that area while trying to keep up with the other areas at home. His final report card showed all A's and one B. The thing that worried us is his percentage for each area gradually decreased throughout the year. My son felt like the students who misbehaved got more attention than he did throughout the year. After looking at his last report card, I feel the same.

Posted September 26, 2010
We have made our AYP two years running and this last year our students and staff made our high achieving goals. That means students had a 60+ percent pass rate on the state CRT. We do serve a large population who see English as a second language. We have an intervention system that works for low achieving students as well. Our facilities are old, but our level of technology rises every year, because this is a Title I school and our principal is proactive about the use of technology. Kindergarten teachers last year had high numbers, however this year numbers are very low for kindergarten. You will be hard pressed to find a more high achieving school for the demagraphic that we serve.

J M Ullom Elementary School 1

Posted August 11, 2009
My daughter attended kindergarten last year at J.M. Ullom. Her teacher was great and tried to keep up with the standards set however it was difficult with the amount of children who hasn't yet mastered the American language. This I felt was a set back for my child. The one Parent Meeting I was invited to was long due to it being done in the Spanish language and then interpreted it English. Parent involvement is next to nothing. Today I got a call from the School and it was in Spanish, something about a free dental clinic. I'm trying to get my daughter relocated to another school that will support her educational needs or I will have to pay for Spanish classes. Shopping carts are selling food to children when they get out of school, the traffic is bad. The school is run down.

J M Ullom Elementary School 0

Posted September 28, 2008
all 3 of my children have attended this school. I would not have it any other way. My youngest has this year and 1 more.. requested that my neice goes here...

J M Ullom Elementary School 1

Posted June 04, 2008

Posted January 29, 2008

Posted May 30, 2005
I am a bit disappointed in the school in many ways. Parent involvment is very sparse, extracurricular activites are non-existant. The safety and well being of the children before and after school is a nightmare. No crossing guards or any supervision what so ever for the children crossing the streets surrounding the school. The children are terrified to cross the street, parents double parking blocking the road, along with people frequently speeding down the street.

Posted May 10, 2005
I feel like this school has to constantly stuggle so much with teaching Spanish-speaking kids English, that they have little time to teach other things. I don't know that it is all the staff's fault that the school does so poorly on testing, but I do see grammatical errors on sheets sent home from time to time, and that irritates me. How can my child be taught proper grammar when the teachers can't spell and write? This school is in a poor neighborhood, and the low amount of tax dollars funding it really shows.

J M Ullom Elementary School
4869 East Sun Valley Dr, Las Vegas, NV  89121
Last modified J M Ullom Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
J M Ullom Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top