D'vorre & Hall Ober Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted June 10, 2014

Ober has great teachers. Our children have had the types of teachers that kids remember for a lifetime. Unfortunately, most of those tenured teachers turned over in the past two years. That cannot be a coincidence. The newer teachers are still great. The biggest problem is the administration. Teachers seem bullied and the workplace is not acceptable from what I see on the outside looking in. I feel that the admin does not have the children's best interest in mind, only their own careers and the test scores that will help them advance. We had one particular example I feel misled. We were promised something relating to our child's curriculum but as time went on nothing happened. When we approached the admin again she acted like no such discussion ever occurred. On another note, maybe the AP should not be smacking on gum at award ceremonies. We all have nervous habits, but it really reflects poorly when someone that is suppose to be a school leader is not even trying to be discreet while chewing gum in front of 100 parents. It certainly does not set a good example for the kids.

Posted May 31, 2014

great school, couldn't be more happier for my boy. this year would be our fourth year at Ober, and we love it. teachers are great. i don't understand the parent that wrote the last review with one star. i have always given this school 5 star only because there is no more stars :). i highly recommend this school.

Posted May 30, 2014

Ober has not been the same since the Ellis/Walz take over. The only thing that matters to the principal is the 5 star rating & the CRT scores. Oh and her personal ladder climbing agenda. If you don't believe me read back through all of the reviews before 2012. They are almost all 5 star. Coincidence? I think not! My child feels threatened frequently by her teacher & the asst principal. Once they deem your child as a slow learner or a problem child they go out of their way to make life miserable for that student. A great deal of really awesome teachers have left that school because they were tired of being ruled by the iron fist. School is suppose to be a place to feel safe & loved but my daughter feels like an outsider & says she wishes she didn't have to go there everyday. If you have the choice pick a different school. This one is not what it use to be.

Posted October 4, 2013

Ober Elementary School in Las Vegas, NV Great Leadership + Great Teachers/Specials = Great Students I have 2 children presently enrolled and they enjoy all aspects. Day to Day learning is supported by the wonderful staff. F rom the Adminstration team who support students/parents/teachers/guests to those who nurture in classroom specials: Art, Tech, MUSIC!, PE. The powerhour learning, to extra care/preparation. We love our school and the attention given to learning, fun, friendships and growth. A very important time in our young peoples lives. If I could change one thing? Classroom size a tad smaller, and a few more shaded areas for our outside activities. If we could afford more tutoring/or afterschool learning programs: enrichment in math, reading, the arts - wonderful. But they do a great job. PTO is attentive, proactive and involved.

Posted May 30, 2013

My oldest just finished her Kindergarten year at Ober. I loved Mrs. Watts and couldn't have asked for a better "first" teacher. The principal comes off a little abrasive, but she's not there to make friends. The school was (for the most part) organized, efficient and focused on learning. Things I didn't like included getting a call the week before asking to do placement testing, getting notice the week before school started of the schedule (AM or PM class), and the traffic for drop off. Overall though these are minor compared to all the great things I loved about Ober.

Posted May 29, 2013

Teachers are fabulous, the PTO clickish and uninviting, the principal is a ladder climber. Very dissapointed in the way the school is run. Staton Elementary was a much better experience.

Posted May 13, 2013

Most of the teachers are wonderful! The PTO board is horrible and uninviting to newcomers. The principal has ruined our school with her power hungry ways and the way she has to control everyone! It is all about her. Many of the teachers are quite tenured and quite good. But if your child isn't perfect the principal and vice principal will make yours and your child's life miserable.

Posted April 4, 2013

In response to the question "what has happened to Ober?"- The principal is what has happened to Ober. She has single-handedly ruined this school. What was once a wonderful neighborhood school is now a depressing institution where staff members live in fear and are subject to administrative bullying. Parents are being threatened. Our child's education is no longer a priority at this school. The only thing that matters at Ober is the principal and her agenda.

Posted January 31, 2013

Disappointment with this school over the last year. We had a happy 2nd grader and a wonderful beginning for the Third Grade. There is no support; no willingness to discuss issues objectively and a Principal who looks like a "deer in headlights"! What has happened to Ober?

Posted December 20, 2012

MMy daughter loves this school, and it seems like the educational standards are very good at this school. However, I don't think I have ever experienced such an unorganized administration in my entire life. The schedule the school gave the parents at the beginning of the school year had wrong dates for conferences (we didn't find out about the change until the day before the new conference schedule), class activities that are on the schedule have been modified without notice (we received an email from the school that they were having a school picnic lunch day and were told to bring food) only to find out when we showed up that our daughter's class wasn't participating. Many parents were there with food to have the picnic, so I know we weren't the only ones who thought it was for the entire school. Many class activities we aren't notified about until the day before, so after school we have to run around town looking for the items last minute. The kids have a folder we were told would contain all correspondence so we check it every night. When we asked why we weren't notified about a particular activity, the teacher told us it was posted in the office. Lots of good that does us.

Posted August 2, 2012

Obet is the best. My sons love going to school everyday. The teachers are caring and compassionate. Mrs Holt is am amazing second grade teacher and Mrs Colgan is an excellent full day kindergarten teacher. Your child will be more than ready for first grade. The education my children received at this school was beyond my expectations. A school like this is truly a reflection of a great administration and parent involvement.

Posted April 24, 2012

It is not the school or the teachers or the support staff who have continued to be amazing regardless of the administration. My child has special needs and they personally have been unsupportive and had a lack of compassion and interest. I tried to set up a meeting a month ago to discuss this situation and they have never got back to me. I would still send my children there as mine have gone for 9 years with good results. Not if you have special needs and avoid the PTO or anything where you expect the principal and vice to intereact.

Posted October 28, 2011

We moved to Las Vegas from Puerto Rico and this is the first time my 10 and 8 year old children go to public school. After conducting research I decided on the Summerlin area and am very happy our rental property happened to be zoned for Ober. The school is great and the teachers are great. My children are very happy with the school and so are we. The teachers are very involved and use the telephone and e-mail to communicate with the parents. Love getting calls from the teachers about something that my kids need help in before it turns into a low grade. It shows that the teachers genuinely care!!!! A++++ school!!!!!

Posted October 6, 2011

We relocated to Las Vegas from an excellent school district of Northern New Jersey so we were skeptical at first. We read the reviews and visited the school before signing our lease agreement with our realtor. After over a year sending our children to Ober, I can now give this school a PERFECT 10. The teachers and staff are great. But another thing impressed me the most is the parents involvement with school activities. Other parents from our kids classes showed up every time to either volunteer or just to be with their children. Undoubtedly, the Ober kids are pretty good as they come from loving and caring families. Great school is equal to good teachers and good kids.

Posted June 3, 2011

My daughter is in fiveth grade at ober she loves it very much.Every day she comes home with a smile and a good attitude. She loves the staff and she loves her teacher. If you need a school Ober Elementry is the one for you.

Posted April 27, 2010

Was a little skeptical of putting my kids into public school after they had been attending Alexander Dawson for several years. I've been pleasantly surprised at the level of education taught here. The teachers and staff are awesome. Now I look back and think that I may have wasted a lot of $$ paying for Dawson....a school I became VERY disappointed in year after year until I finally had enough. So glad that Ober was the school in our area!

Posted October 12, 2009

Child has attended all day kindergaden and first grade - great teachers that care about the kids and programs to help them learn. We constantly run into friends with children at other schools - both public and private - where the level of learning is significantly below that of Ober.

Posted March 3, 2009

As a parent I rate Ober Elementary School as Excellent. I have my daughter in 1st grade and my son in Kindergarten. They both love their classes and friends, especially the teachers and staff. Wonderful school..!!

Posted October 1, 2008

Both my boys adore their teachers. :) The office staff is so sweet and cheery! They offer great programs for parents and students. So many parent volunteers. Would highly recommend this school!

Posted March 4, 2008

Teachers are actively involved in the development of the students. It is evident that the principal's priority is the students. I feel blessed to entrust my child to such a group of professionals.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2013.

146 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

146 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the Criterion Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The CRT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 61% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 44% in 2011.

124 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students81%

Students without disabilities74%
Proficient in English72%
Not migrant72%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students82%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 29%N/A54%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3035 Desert Marigold Ln