Bad
Good

The ladies in the office are rude and to pick up your student is a hassel

The office staff is very rude and have no type of people skills!! It makes me dislike the school very much..

Only a few people in office are nice, most are rude which I can understand sometimes because they are understaffed. The counselor, the worse, she is rude and told me information that was wrong I think she was just trying to discourage me from asking for an iep test for my son. The iep was a nightmare to get the test done. They didnt want to give him one. I sent a certified letter requesting one and stating that that by law he has the right to have one then.. they did it. In 2nd grade my son came home with a letter saying that he fell and hit his head but they didn't have my info to call me in the middle of the year!!! Which they have had since kindergarten. They are so many bad things in this school. The reason I give it 2 stars instead of 0 it's because of 1 teacher. Ms Herring is the best she helped my so much, she cares about her students. My son's self steem was great when he was in her class. Nothing compared with the 2nd grade teacher that his attitude changed so much. Drop in and pick up of students is a caos and unsafe for kids and adults who are driving. Glad we are moving.

This is one of the greatest schools ever. My twins are really getting a great education, they both had wonderful kindergarten teachers, now they both have wonderful 1st grade teachers. I'm very happy that they are doing so well. The school also has a fantastic reading rangers program that both of my kids love. They are reading a lot better and clearly, but most of all love to learn.

My son went to this school for 3 years on a zone variance, was an A/B honor roll student tested very high for the gifted and talented program for GATE. Unfortunately because he is on a zone variance and the principal will not grant him to continue going to Hal Smith they will lose out on one of their gret students. My son will miss the teachers and staff very much! The teachers are great my advice to the pricipal get more involved with the students and parents.

Hal Smith has been a great school for my son. his kindergarten teacher sure gave a large amount of home work but my son really learned. She was very dedicated and concerned about how shy he appeared. First grade gave us another caring teacher who helped my son grow and learn. I just hope my next son will have teachers like this son to teach him.

The pick up system that the new principal started is just horrible. She turned something that should take five or ten minutes into an hour. I would move if we could it's that bad. On the other hand I do like my kids teachers

I think this school is amazing... My daughter was a transfer in the middle of the year from being home schooled (2nd grader) the office staff was amazing and her teacher was so kind and caring. I loved all the open communication with the teacher and the staff in general. I love that our first public school experience was with this school. I was fearful of public school but Hal-Smith really changed my mind.

I absolutely hate this school. I don't feel that the teaching staff is up to par. The principal isn't much better and just the whole atmosphere is deplorable. I don't feel as though the school or the staff are really approachable by parents and alot of their practices are completely silly. They don't really seem to promote family interest in the school or students beyond one, or two times a year. My child will NOT be attending this school again.

This school has disappointed me. I was excited for my son to attend Hal Smith and then he ended up with the worst Kindergarten teacher I've ever met. She is rude, ignorant and expects way too much from kindergartners. I assume this is because she was teaching first grade before this year. I've been looking into private kindergartens for this reason but since the fees are too high all we can do is wait it out until we move in a few months. Hopefully he'll receive the education and care he deserves when we do. I'm personally sick to my stomach with this school and that woman.

Last modified Hal Smith Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.